2024-SEP-01 Info: Every September, the Mix Challenge audio community brings awareness to the topic mental health. Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 085.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
qhtrvw425

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Submissions until 21-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by qhtrvw425 »

Hello,

This is my first Mix Challenge participation.
Thanks for hearing.
New version(v2) : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjtlADECVeCVgtkNHmLYGsLagN1rYQ

Used plugins
Master - ozone 8, clariphonic, FATSO, inflator
Drum - UBK-1(awesome!), oxide tape, distressor emu
Guitar - virtual mix rack(especially FG-N)
Bass - Distressor emu, bx_subfilter
Anywhere - fabfilter Q2, C2, G, tonelux tilt, McDSP 6050
Last edited by qhtrvw425 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 00:14 CEST, edited 4 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Submissions until 21-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Dr.Acula wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 00:43 CEST
I don't think we have to submit a wav AND mp3 file or am I wrong?
Bar minimum a WAV, ideally an MP3 for quick listening purposes.
Dr.Acula

Post by Dr.Acula »

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 17:28 CEST
Dr.Acula wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 00:43 CEST
I don't think we have to submit a wav AND mp3 file or am I wrong?
Bar minimum a WAV, ideally an MP3 for quick listening purposes.
Thank you
noogard

Post by noogard »

I hope it is enough for the beginning. Thank you for opportunity to mix this track, it is really solid!
I tried to be within boarders in every detail, but failed with recommendations not to do trumpet from flute, so one time I used guitars to imitate sound of cymbals :scared: but haven moved parts of track with that :hihi:

Spent about 12 working hours for this mix. I tried to refer to reference mix, but with fixes of my taste.

So I'll explain:
1) I absolutely understand, that this is guitarists' music, and looks like he was sound engineer as well, but in the mastered track at bandcamp, actually like in the reference mix we have there is only guitar. For me it is not really okay, since I'm mixing music, not the guitar, so I've tried to save other instruments, that have their places in this track, because the arrangement is pretty nice, and it is sin to hide it :)
2) As nice as guitars were recorded, there is absolutely opposite situation with drums :( I believe, that it was as good as possible, but for me it was not enough. So it was a challenge to make drums sound big, but hope it is fine. Yes, maybe snare is too brave :) but I think thats okay. So yes, I used samples that were provided in combination with original sound.
3) For me original mix was a bit muddy (btw as most of other guys, who uploaded their versions, question of taste, so no offences please, you rock!), so tried to do it bit brighter.

About mix:
Drums - For shells gates and compression + bus with distortion + bus for short reverb.
Bass - originall sound + TSE BOD, compressed and limited, automation of threshold level to reduce CLIP sounds when bass starts.
Guitars - only EQ. Yes, only EQ.
Lead guitars - EQ + line6 echo pro unit, stereodelay 500ms
Piano - EQ, reverb

Interesting facts:
For guitars I used analogue devices:
-Line 6 echo pro
-Audient EQ black series, one per bus (Lead, Left, Right)
-NO MASTER BUS TREATMENTS, only metering.
-Only non free plugins used are CLA-76, C6. Fab proQ

Thank you for attention!

PS
Fav mix is Henrik's one :) actually wanted to do the same thing in intro, but when I heard that he already did it, and was the first one, had to change tactic about intro. It is just a suggestion, so of course it could be just straight one.

MP3:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N0YOu ... N9wNgRcxjn

WAVE:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WoS93 ... a-iRgXHqS1
noogard

Post by noogard »

BTW!
Have you noticed THESE sounds in the end of the track in one of the guitars??? :grin:
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Hello everyone ,
Massive performance great song , very good recording as well .I've used all sound had provided.not using any personal or additional samples.
My main aim when i mixed this song to keep that excitements in guitars performance more punchy and cohesive mix.
I've used a few plugins in this mix , here is a brief.
-Drums :I've used transient shaper in kick ,added a gate plugin in snare top .
-B Snare : added +2db @200hz , added saturation plugin
-OHs :HPF around 170hz and cut -3db around 250-300hz cut also -6db @4k and also added hard parallel compression.
-Room mic:HPF around 6k cut -4db @300 hz .
-Bass :LPF around 5.5K used sidechained with kick drum.boost around 2k about+2db cut about-2db @600hz.
2buss track :i've used Bx digital V2 and Slate digital plugin virtual channel and Revival.

Wav: Download link here
Mp3: Download link here

Cheers !
Last edited by Waleed Morris on Mon Jun 24, 2019 16:54 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Rogro

Post by Rogro »

Hello!

Thanks for the opportunity to use the multitrack of this great song for mixing. I was searching for some tracks to test and improve some updates in my mixing setup. Don't know exactly how the 'challenge' works but this is the result of my mixing session:

WAV www.dropbox.com/s/i7zm5rqk7limbqo/MC044 ... x.wav?dl=0
MP3 www.dropbox.com/s/gk3zpu9o4o5jk8i/MC044 ... x.mp3?dl=0

Some additional information about the mixing proces:
I didn't use the 'C01' tracks for guitar. Reamped the DI signal with Amplitube. This reamped tracks are adding some body to the guitars. Didn't use that much of EQ on the guitars, made the sound by leveling the mics / DI. I Compressed the drums (ADR Compex) and parallel compressed them too. Bass guitar was quite dynamic. I Split it into low and high frequenties. Compressed the lowest part with Distressor and the high part with a ADR Vocal stressor (compressor only) to create a stable bass part with a controlled low-end.

Cheers,
Rogro
Last edited by Rogro on Fri Jun 22, 2018 23:04 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder
Including today, 24 hours left to submit your mix
Fakarwi

Post by Fakarwi »

Wav: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyxs3fhzzls5x ... n.wav?dl=0
mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqmx9fnpvqajs ... n.mp3?dl=0

I only discovered your web site yesterday, so a bit of a rush mix.

What did I do?
Ok, all tracks use the Plugin Alliance SSL E console, DI bass uses a Fender Bassman emulation, with the presence cranked right up, Rooms have some Abbey road plate, just for space, Guitars: on the rhythm tracks, I have used the 57 track for both panned hard left and right, and mixed down the others with a slight delay, for that stadium effect, Leads i have picked the DI, and run it through a hot waves GTR model, and spread the others across the spread, again with a bit of echo, Piano, just tried to tuck it under the lead, so its there, but not on your face. Subgroups, just the Waves API 2500 on the Bass sub group, and Waves 76 on the master drum buss. 2 1/2 hours from go to woah does not do this song justice.

Had I more time, I would have liked to do some more with the toms. obviously some automation, as it is a bit static, and maybe some light phaser on the guitars, tapemodel, blah blah blah.

Nice, nice recording, by the way, and nicely structured guitar work. Not my genre of preference, but maybe I should grow my hair long, i could get into this.

I really enjoyed this, and look forward to your next competition. I promise to put more time into the next one
Baddo

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Submissions until 04-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Baddo »

SRMix wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 23:37 CEST
Baddo wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 02:52 CEST
Hello folks, I'm the author. I'll be here in case you have any questions.
Hi and thank you for this opportunity. I have a question: How did you mix the main-distorted-guitars? They sound so good!
Could you please explain me every little details on how you mixed them? Did you group them? And also your speaker-monitor model, please.

---

My submission:
I haven't used the DIs.
full itb. eq and comp for every channel and a saturator on the 2 buss and on main guitars.
Reverb on snare, and delay on guitars. That's all.

wav https://mega.nz/#!F7Q1UIjK!mUGpiaZPP9kY ... Qk9Em2xxA0
mp3 https://mega.nz/#!JqR3CY7T!OgNzWoBHPiP8 ... ziuThwwY4E
Hi SRMix, sure no problem,
The raw gtr mic tracks are just that. The mics aligned (physically) so there was no phasing.

The blended mix is this:

The only processing was a little compression on the DI, to make it blend better with the mic tracks. As I said earlier, the C01 track I didn't use for the blended sound.

If you were actually talking about the reference mix, I just added some tape compression emulation and a little eq with the UAD Neve, I can't post a pic as I don't have the UADs anymore, but I am fairly sure I added some at 2.2 khz, lo passed around 8.2 khz and hi passed around 82 hz. And that's it. Both gtrs went to a bus with an UAD LA3A and some EQ.

The speaker cabinet is the Peavey 5150 4x12 that comes loaded with Sheffields. My monitors at the time were M-Audio BX8's and a set of Avantone Mixcubes.

Thanks for your entry, I'll be commenting on everything.

Best,