2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
jetwolf

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Submissions until 21-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by jetwolf »

Yes....and I actually turned it down! The guitars kept going up and up and up with Fizzy Lift!!
Henrik Hjortnaes

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Submissions until 21-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

Awesome haha!
jetwolf

Post by jetwolf »

Henrik, my mix will sound best after about a half a bottle of fine Kentucky Bourbon, which is about what I had last night when I heard your mix and decided I needed to scrap my first one and start over from scratch! :smile:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd June 2018, 3:00am GMT+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

If I didn't miscount, we have 33 entries this month! That's a whopping 17 participants more than last month (16) and also 17 participant more than 2017 (16).

A very warm welcome to all new participants - I think you found is via the Summer Promo run (Sonic State, KVR Audio, Rekkerd, BPB, etc).

There has been been 0 submission after the deadline
I have to give out 3 warnings due to a rule violations
There are a handful of users that did not provide minimal documentation or just an MP3 (e.g. Rogro, Aditia.inHim, Piranha)
We might have 1 track that is already fully mastered (if I can trust the documentation, qhtrvw425)

Keep in mind, this could lead to a disqualification of your entry!

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable. Those that uploaded MP3s only, please take note: providing a FLAC (on low bandwidth)/WAV (on DSL and higher) file is mandatory now. Those of you that only uploaded a WAV, a MP3 version would be nice. Please also update your posts with minimal documentation for others to learn from (see Rules & Guidelines).

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

The Songwriting Competition 10 (SWC10) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th June 2018, 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST - so far there have been 0 participants
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

kevin gobin wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:04 CEST
Now everyone who already sent track, have right to cry that they want to resubmit track, because rules have been changed :)

I agree.

I do not understand the point in telling that rules are bad if you do not even respect them.

I do not appreciate that rules change after a game has started.

This is disrespectful to those who may agree that rules are bad, but who respect the game and the contestants.

People here may not agree with that, but I would never play poker with them. :)
I just saw this - sorry. And I hope I'm not misinterpreting anything right now.
But for clarification - no rules were changed mid-game. The rules were set clearly right from the start.

I recently got a track provided that will(!) clearly offer all participants to do "drum triggering/replacement" (in form of "supplementary drums", not full replacement) - either with the provided material, or with your own content. Every other track from now on will clearly prohibit sample triggering.

Yes, the lines are thin (I've read the post over in Gossip, and I'll get to that eventually). The focus of the Mix Challenge however is to "work with what you have, get the best out of it". Drum replacement is a fairly new concept still (think - last 10 years) and it's cool and all - but it is not a one-stop solution. And in case of MC44, we had outstanding recorded drums to begin with. It's not like you can't drastically(!) shape a drum kit with EQ, compression and "parallel processing" (e.g. NY compression). And herein lies the challenge - how to pull that off to sound as good or even better than all other participants.

Since it's such a controversial topic that flames up over and over, let us please continue this in the Gossip thread. I'll promise to jump in the coming days - but I'm currently busy behind the scenes.
Taurean Mixing

Post by Taurean Mixing »

Better late than never. Work was preventing me from finishing, but here it is finally.

Notes:
-Edited some performances parts for tightness, nothing crazy.
-Used my ITB console chain.
-Focused intently on phase relationships for both guitars and drums.
-TONS of automation/fader riding.
-Also reamped one pair of my own guitar tone and mixed in subtly. Again nothing crazy.
-Zero samples used for drums.

EDIT: I guess we were too late

EDIT2: here's my mix anyway
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8vveeif8qfh5 ... g.wav?dl=0
Last edited by Taurean Mixing on Thu Jun 28, 2018 03:11 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Baddo

Post by Baddo »

Fantastic guys, truly remarkable effort you have provided. It seems I have some long -but enjoyable- listening sessions coming ahead. I'll keep an eye on the thread for conversations in the meantime.

:phones: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Piranha

Post by Piranha »

MP3 and description added to the original post.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Mork wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 23:43 CEST

There are NO dragons used on the MixBuss!
I missed a little glue or... f-fire? Whatever, awesome job as usual. I've gotta remind myself next time to submit my mix after I can reference it against yours. :lol: :lol:

No seriously, I figured what was wrong with my mix just like that. :phew:
noogard

Post by noogard »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 17:19 CEST
Mork wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 23:43 CEST

There are NO dragons used on the MixBuss!
I missed a little glue or... f-fire? Whatever, awesome job as usual. I've gotta remind myself next time to submit my mix after I can reference it against yours. :lol: :lol:

No seriously, I figured what was wrong with my mix just like that. :phew:
Thats how it usually works, mate :(