2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC045 July 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC045 July 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 45 - July2018

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (source files, submission information, sponsors), start of the evaluation process and the first post for re-submissions for Mix Round 2.

This month, we see the return of a previous client (fajebru) and get a chance to work on a German Pop Rock production by the band/project "Rahel". The song is called "Ich bin es nicht" (It's not me), which is a part of an EP release called "Zitrone".

The EP has been recorded at the ArtEZ Conservatorium in Enschede, Netherlands. There are no huge twists this months. However as of this month - it is prohibited to use supplementary drum samples (drum triggering) to enhance a drum mix unless explicitly mentioned/requested. Please work with the material you have at your disposal - a lot of detail was put into great recordings to boot.

Read more about the production below, and in the bundled TXTs.

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: It is mandatory to provide WAV files (FLAC bar minimum on low internet bandwidth), files need to be accessible/downloadable, try to work within suitable work levels, document your edits (as simple or as detailed as you like)
    IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention: MC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName.wav/mp3 and MC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName_-_ContestanttName_R2.wav/mp3 for Mix Round 2. The order of the tags might change in upcoming challenges - though this is up for debate
  • It is highly encouraged to give feedback to each other, to share tips and tricks. Ideally, this should happen after Mix Round 1 has ended, to not influence each other during the main competition round

Also please take note of the following
  • We're desperately looking for new source material for future competitions (currently mainly the Mix Challenge). Please follow our official campaign. No new tracks mean no more challenges! Please reach out!
  • Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
  • if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us.

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information, Source Files, Sponsors
Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Results of the Mix Challenge 45: Winners announced
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC045 July 2018 - Submissions until 21-07-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Sunday, 01st July 2018 to Saturday, 21st July 2018 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-07-2018, 11:59pm CET/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

Song Provider: Rahel (via Baker Productions)
Song Name and Length: Ich bin es nicht, 3:11min
Song Information: 128 BPM / Signature: 4/4, D maj / D min
File Format: WAV, 44kHz, 24bit

GENRE: Pop Rock (German)

Preview of the Song:

A word from the song provider:
fajebru wrote:This track is the second track of an EP called "Zitrone" by an artist called "Rahel" and also the first of a few tracks from this EP to be appearing in the Mix Challenge.

First thing I want to mention are the room mics of the drums. I am not sure if all of you are familiar with the stereo mic setup called ‚M/S‘. But it is a stereo system that has to be decoded in order to be used. In the general multitrack package is a decoded version of the side-signal which is meant to be blended with the mid signal.

For more information, check various forums in the internet. There is also the raw mic signal (not decoded) in the additional tracks folder if you have further ideas to use it.

Regarding the mix, I will mainly be judging on instrument balance, spectral balance, stereo width, overall unity and dynamic range, as well as the use of effects. There are no boundaries regarding weird effects (except drum triggering, please use what you have at your disposal), but if you’re planning on going crazy, than make sure that there is a noticeable reason to do so. Don’t just throw in what you can, just to get alternative.

My main wishes are punchy drums, upfront lead vocals and a good overall balance. I will reward overall sound more than I will reward individual sounds. Give this song a scene or a room where it took place. Let it live.

I’m curious about the results! Have fun!

(more technical details in the Mix Pack bundled TXTs)

A few words by the Mix Challenge staff:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:I highly advice you to read the translation of the vocals, if you're not familiar with the German language. This might give you an idea of what the song is about, and how to shape the sounds.

As "guide tracks", I could recommend to maybe listen to German Pop Rock by bands like "Juli" (esp. their album's "Ein neuer Tag", 2006 and "In Love", 2010), "Wir sind Helden" and "Silbermond" (esp. their debut album "Verschwende deine Zeit", 2004 and their follow up album "Laut gedacht", 2006).

If you listen to these tracks and the provided demo mix, there is a certain focus on a more up-front drum mix, along with very well on top sitting vocals. The guitars act more as "supplement" in this case, but they're far from being tame. Modern day pop-rock mixes are also known to be (slightly) over processed, which should give you a hint how to edit this production.

Let's Rock!

Have fun, and good luck to all participants.

Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below. There you can find more information about the individual files and changes to the time signature.

Special Add-On Rules:
  • try to create a mix that complements this production (in your own style)
  • Clean / Alternative versions can be used if you need more flexibility over a certain sound (if present in this production)
  • No rearrangement or pitch shifting of the song structure, with the exception of the following add-on rules
  • PRODUCTION RELATED: drum sample triggering is prohibited, make the best out of the provided audio material
  • summing bus processing is allowed, as long as the dynamic range (average signal strength to maximum signal strength) doesn't suffer - use of this method is artistically!
  • try to not(!) pre-master the track (please no overuse of mix bus treatment, no loudness adjustments / limiting) - read: NO MASTERING

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Files:

Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (549,92 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression.
File size extracted: 1464,69 MB, packed 549,92 MB (ZIP, LZMA)
In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here
Keka (open source) - get it here

Windows:
7zip - Installation / Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Mix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Mix Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

Acon Digital is kind enough give away a single plugin of winner's choice.
License will turn into NFR
More info on Acon Digital: http://acondigital.com

Black Rooster Audio is kind enough to give away one bundle of all currently available plugins to the winner
More info on Black Rooster Audio: http://blackroosteraudio.com/

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Metric Halo is kind enough to give away a single plugin of winner's choice.
More info about Metric Halo: http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/

MuTools is kind enough give away one license of MUX Modular 7 of winner's choice (until End of 2018)
More info on MuTools: http://www.mutools.com/

NOS Audio is kind enough give away one license of NOS Roomer to the winner
More info on NOS Audio: http://www.nosaudio.com/

Nyrv Systems offers AGENT incl. all currently available NyrvDevices and free update to at least v1.5 of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info about Nyrv Systems: http://www.nyrvsystems.com/

Tone2 is kind enough to donate either a bundle consisting of AkustiX Enhancer and WarmVerb, or a license of Ultraspace to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

Two Notes Audio Engineering is kind enough to donate one license of Torpedo Wall of Sound III to the winner, loaded with 57 cabinets (equivalent to "Torpedo WoS II") (donation until Spring of 2018)
License will not turn into NFR
More info on Two Notes: http://www.two-notes.com/en/

THANKS FOR THE LICENSE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on mix plugins, bundles and the likes), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
RudeGullit

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC045 July 2018 - Submissions until 21-07-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by RudeGullit »

I'm really glad I found this page and the mix challenges. I'm in this month too. Really like the vocals on this one.
fajebru

Post by fajebru »

RudeGullit wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 18:01 CEST
I'm really glad I found this page and the mix challenges. I'm in this month too. Really like the vocals on this one.
Spread the word! The mix challenge needs support and publicity!

And thanks! The singer will be pleased to hear that!

greetings
fajebru
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Really good song and singing as well , the vocal singer add really good character to the whole song. :clap:
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi everyone, here I am back for a new mix. Let's go there and I must be probably the first. Title very interesting and certainly complicated despite appearances. My general idea (I would return with precision in another post for the technical details of my mix) is to make the song "more airy" and "more understandable" compared to the original mix that I will not comment here. This subtle blend of "pop" and "metal" I like a lot. The text is very important and leads to some dramatic side of the music. It follows a certain "progression" difficult enough to master but I think, without pretension, to have found a conclusion that you can listen with the links below.
good listening !
Franz
GpByPass

Post by GpByPass »

Hello

Here is my mix.....
ttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1nlvIXFQJxIEA2jD0A8GM3o1Z_IrhgaGQ

This is a good version, sorry for the mistake
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sBJwA ... pdItGPe0Wc
Last edited by GpByPass on Sun Jul 08, 2018 22:00 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
GpByPass
BypassProd
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your edit.

To all the new faces:
Hello and welcome. Please update your posts with some basic documentation, as per the "Rules and Guidelines". Thank you.