2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC045 July 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Dr.Acula

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC045 July 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Dr.Acula »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 20:43 CEST
Does the track clip or did you use a compressor/limiter array to keep the project within boundaries? (summing bus)
I used limiters on single tracks like Lead Vocals, background vocals, rhythm guitars, Overheads etc but I did not touch the master bus ( you can see that in the waveform).
I did a lot (and I mean A LOT) of automations on the guitars, drums, reverbs (rooms etc) and vocals too keep the track in balance and interesting
Dr.Acula

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC045 July 2018 - Submissions until 21-07-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Dr.Acula »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 23:53 CEST
Last minute submission. Busy month :hyper:

Will update post with details:

MP3: https://mega.nz/#!QHxmjSRK!FlSMlinB7aR2 ... f4x4dWU-l4

WAV: https://mega.nz/#!YHwmxaDK!vxMTUeuPGLtP ... XImtw79BaQ

Didn't have much time but I still wanted to experiment a bit with the Overheads and Room tracks provided. I went for a roomy sound for the drums, also clipped the kick and snare. Parallel drums with compression and some distortion and RBass working with the room and Overheads as well.

For the bass, just added a fuzz distorted take from the chorus on.

I reamped the guitars because I thought they were a bit too heavy and fizzy. They're similar, a little less heavy and with more tone than distortion. There's an effect on the "Gtr 6 Amp" with a phaser and a panner, to make it more interesting.

Background Vocals didn't need much, just panning and featuring mostly the ones that intertwine with the main voice in the choruses (with a little more compression).

For the lead vocal I used different instances of EQ, compression, distortion and some dynamic EQ to tame rogue frequencies. There's an effect in the second verse, kind of a radio voice. It can be left in or replaced by the normal voice track, as the client chooses.

On the top of the mix, a kind of rear bus with the MJUC in parallel for guitars and voices.

Great effect on the guitars in the verse 1. Sounds awesome!!
How did you do that?
JonasLasse

Post by JonasLasse »

Actually this Song makes clear for me.. Jonas.. set up your monitors instead of using headphones. My mix has a massive midrange-nose.
neuro

Post by neuro »

hello

how maximum integrated LUFS allowed per mix for submission?
Dr.Acula

Post by Dr.Acula »

neuro wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:31 CEST
hello

how maximum integrated LUFS allowed per mix for submission?
in the rules are written: ideally, the final mix shall be anywhere within the the following range: -21dB RMS realtime to -15dB RMS realtime on average, while the maximum digital signal strength shall ideally not exceed -1dBFS

It is just "ideally", so I think there is no exact rule
noogard

Post by noogard »

Dr.Acula wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 15:36 CEST
Mister Fox wrote:
Does the track clip or did you use a compressor/limiter array to keep the project within boundaries? (summing bus)
I used limiters on single tracks like Lead Vocals, background vocals, rhythm guitars, Overheads etc but I did not touch the master bus ( you can see that in the waveform).
I did a lot (and I mean A LOT) of automations on the guitars, drums, reverbs (rooms etc) and vocals too keep the track in balance and interesting
but do you think your mix is within rules boundaries? :)
Dr.Acula

Post by Dr.Acula »

noogard wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 13:07 CEST
Dr.Acula wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 15:36 CEST
Mister Fox wrote:
but do you think your mix is within rules boundaries? :)

Yeah of course, I already explained what I did. :smile:
do you think your mix is within rules boundaries? :hihi:
OctopusOnFire

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC045 July 2018 - Submissions until 21-07-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Dr.Acula wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 15:48 CEST

How did you do that?
You mean the guitar that comes up before the chorus, right? Here's a screenshot:

Dr.Acula

Post by Dr.Acula »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 16:55 CEST
Dr.Acula wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 15:48 CEST

How did you do that?
You mean the guitar that comes up before the chorus, right? Here's a screenshot:

yeah exactly. thank you :sad:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

How are the M/S room tracks actually used? Does anyone know a good tutorial?