2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
maxovrdrive

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Mix Round 2 until 02-09-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by maxovrdrive »

I'm pleasantly surprised to be picked for Round 2. I hope I did not disappoint.

Here's R2 mix with requested revisions:
https://soundcloud.com/maxovrdrive/mc04 ... godinez-r2
gyerosaski

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Mix Round 2 until 02-09-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by gyerosaski »

Hi RichardClarke and other participants

Thanks for pick my mix to the next round. There was many great mixes so such thing is great success for me.

About v2 of the mix: I reworked the snare so now it's sounds more wet and less boxy. I was also thinking a lot about bringing more excitement to track, especially to the verses. I was thinking and thinking... and here it is: ADT and distortion :smile: I know it's a little drastic change for the second round, but I quite like it and I hope that you will like it to!

Here are the tracks:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubz1dp3ciyowx ... 2.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze627zws091n9 ... 2.wav?dl=0

Enjoy!
GGermaine

Post by GGermaine »

Wow - I'm pretty thrilled to be in the top 9!
Thanks for the feedback. On my 1st submission, I used a "homemade" snare sample that was blended in with the tracked snare, and it does have a weird ring on the tail. I tried eq'ing and/or gating it, but I ended up just employing a "cheater" sample to mix in on this 2nd submission. It does sound different, and caused a reworking of the drums on the whole - which then caused me to rework the whole Damn thing. :bang: (Hopefully I didn't make it worse :confused:). I tried to beef up the guitars a bit to get rid of the midrange honk per your suggestion as well.
Without further adieu, here is my final submission:

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bwUgl ... PU8p7tzRrO
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J2Hw1 ... o0xkeu_Oze
Last edited by GGermaine on Mon Sep 03, 2018 01:14 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 4th September 2018, 7:20am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

As mentioned prior, not all participants were able to send in their edits. (reason: out of town)
Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)
Both the Mix Challenge 47 and Songwriting Competition 13 are in full swing.

See you on the flipside.

*footnote: I'm once more late with this. Apologies - I'm currently catching up on PM's and ended challenges*
RichardClarke

Post by RichardClarke »

So I thought judging 62 mixes down to 9 or so was really difficult....getting the top 3 in order from the 2nd round was just as challenging.

I hope you will all understand I am not a pro mixer and so am really seeing this from a clients perspective with a bit of mixing knowledge in the background. There were defintiely aspects of all 8 mixes that I liked. I was looking for what I felt represented the band well and what would appeal to all of us and we would want to play others and go..."listen, this is us, we f**kin rock!"

These definitely accomplished that and are my favourites in order...

1st - HerbFelho
2nd - Philk
3rd - Gyerosaski

Congratulations to you!!!!

Again thankyou to all the participants in the competition for trying to mix a rather sparse recording of a clusterf**k of a band. I was super pleased with the results and I know the rest of the guys in the band will feel the same (I know Chris has been checking this out and was really impressed and I plan to surprise Mark with 70 versions of this song on a USB stick next time I am back in the UK! I'm sure his mind will bend with what you have all done!).

In short you all put some sunshine in the life of some Deadbeats, be proud of your work and we really appreciate it!

Roll on MC47, see you all there!

Richy Deadbeat
RichardClarke

Post by RichardClarke »

I forgot to mention if any of you want feedback feel free to reach out too me on private message. I might not be able to get too it straight away but I definitely will when I can!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC046 August 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) HerbFelho
2) Philk
3) Gyerosaski

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name and mail address.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.

To the songwriters among us, the Songwriting Competition 13 is still up and running. You can find it here:
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11
HerbFelho

Post by HerbFelho »

Wow, I am overwhelmed! I didn´t expect that given the 62 entries, and many of them really cool mixes...
Again, thank you so much Richard for choosing mine and the time and hard work you put into that challenge.
Congrats to Philk and Gyerosaski, and also: OctopusOnFire, sorry you couldn´t make it to round 2, not sure if I could have beaten your great mix, probably not...
I will take the Black Rooster license, thanks Mister Fox!
philk

Post by philk »

Hey everybody!

I'm super happy to be on the second place of 70 talented mixers. :) Thanks to Richard and all the other mixers and special congratulations to herbfelho and gyerosaski!

I'll take the TwoNotes Torpedo Wall of Sound, thanks Mister Fox!

See you all in Mixing Challenge 47! :)