2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC014 October 2018 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC014 October 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 14 - October 2018

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention for your productions: SWC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName.wav/mp3

Also please take note of the following
  • If you have an idea for future Songwriting Competition themes and/or genres, please post them here (new).
  • Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
  • if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us.

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Cheat Sheet (new): A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (not available if genre is "Free to Select")
Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Results of the Songwriting Competition: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC014 October 2018 - Submissions until 24-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Monday, 01st October 2018 to Wednesday, 24th October 2018 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-10-2018, 11:59pm CEST/GMT+2 (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

SONGWRITING THEME: Autumn Winds

GENRE: free to select

Image Source: image spliced together from photos by Niko_Shogol (via Pixabay) and Pixabay (via Pexels), released under Creative Commons CC0

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:Last month's theme was fairly hard hitting. To balance out the mood, let us go a bit more light-hearted again.

This month I'd like you to get inspired by Autumn (or Fall). Although a bit depressive that leafs are basically dying off of trees, but in turn we'll get a sea of beautiful colors within a short period of time. We will feel everything from slight breezes from taking a walk outside, to strong gusts of winds pulling at strings of kites. You take out your favorite hoodie or scarf and go for long walks in the park or nearby forest. You might enjoy a Festival of Light that is in town. If you're not an outdoor person, you might brush off your old instrument and try to play some tunes for your loved one. You might even enjoy the last scoop of ice cream, or enjoy the first scoop just because of this particular weather in the first place.

In general - you just take a deep breath, and let the "Autumn Winds" touch you.

This month, I'd love to hear more relaxed productions. Maybe some piano work, acoustic guitars or even strings. But I'm not insisting on that. Just write some music in whatever genre you feel like. But most importantly - enjoy yourself while doing so.

Songwriting Add-On Rules:
  • You can use whatever is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • creating your own sounds is highly encouraged, but not mandatory
  • It is recommended to not go higher than -14LUFS SLk (avg) or K-12v1 (avg) in terms of perceived loudness

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Songwriting Competition - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Songwriting Competition - Gossip and Discussion

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions (donations until Spring 2018)
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, or any 2 sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
License will turn into NFR
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Bjulin Waves is kind enough to donate 1 sound set of winners choice and one "Inspire Me" sound set of choice for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
More info on Bjulin Waves: http://bjulin.de/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hollow Sun is kind to donate one license of "Music Laboratory Machines - The Suite I" to the winner
More info on Hollow Sun: http://www.hollowsun.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC014 October 2018 - Submissions until 24-10-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

<reserved for possible audio examples>
ollyaudio

Post by ollyaudio »

Music about the wind. These are my associations with autumn
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uYDh7 ... w1zkkKe6ow
I did not do the master processing. Server spoiled quality due to audio format.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production

Please do spread the word about the Songwriting Competition!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production

So far, we have one entry.
Please do spread the word about the Songwriting Competition and help make this game a success!
GIANCARLO

Post by GIANCARLO »

Here´s our autumn inspired song called FALLIN´:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8abn4axtbxm3i ... 4.wav?dl=0
This is the first songwriting attempt of our duo called STANDISH.
Lisa did the vocals and played the solo sax and I (Giancarlo) did the rest.
Recorded entirely in the box at home using:
-Notebook
-Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
-Audio Technica AT2020 mic
-Ableton Live 10
-Gibson Les Paul Standard
-Acoustic guitar
-Yamaha Sax
And a couple of plugins:
-Addictive Drums 2
-Addictive Keys
-TH3 Lite for the guitar amps
And a couple of freebies.
Hope you like it!
And many thanks for the opportunity.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

So this song is made with magix instruments and dune vst. I also added some free field recordings, hope they will be interesting.
This track it is not about wind or should i say autumn wind, but i tried to show a morning walk in autumn.
the link to audio:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkukz6rr2glgr ... k.WAV?dl=0
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're within the last 24 hours to submit your production

Please keep an eye on the Global Countdown
So far, we have 3 entries. Please let us exceed 8 bar minimum this month.

Please do spread the word about the Songwriting Competition and help make this game a success!
ryanc

Post by ryanc »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8edwqu8j4x93 ... d.wav?dl=0

This Autumn inspired song is called "The Day October Comes Around" Written, arranged, recorded, & mixed by me, Ryan Clawson

I recorded the vocals and acoustic guitar with a Blue Spark microphone. The remaining instruments are the following sample sets:

Piano: Studio Grand
Cello: Studio One Presence
Pad: Studio One Presence
Drums: MT-Drummer

The song is about how I am not a big fan of Autumn time, but my wife loves everything about the Fall; the chilly weather, the colorful leaves (especially on the big older trees in East Salt Lake Valley, near where we live, hence the lyrics of the song) and so after meeting her, her love of this time of year has helped me come to like it a little more.

Then last year, after struggling with several years of infertility, my wife was finally able to get pregnant and we had our first baby boy last October. He turned one year old just a couple weeks ago and he has been such a blessing in our lives. So this song also speaks of how I will always remember October as the birth month of our miracle baby and those first few autumn days as a dad.

Here are the lyrics to "The Day October Comes Around"

On the first few days of Autumn
She always likes to drive
On the east where trees are ancient
As the leaves begin their goodbyes
Now I had always dreaded
The day the frost creeps through the door
But now that I've found her...

Chorus:
I feel the first breeze bring the cold into town
I see the tall trees don their coats of red and brown
And, though before, this time of year would bring me down
Now I bless the day October comes around

It was the 21st day of Autumn
She said, "It's time we go for a drive
There's someone dying to meet us
On this, the first day of his life."
And though we couldn't say we were ready
Yet suddenly, one and one came to three
And now that we have you...

(Chorus)
(Chorus)
Now I bless the day October comes around

Thanks for listening, and thanks for the opportunity to enter this challenge!!

Ryan