2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

Community Scramble - Sample Collection Thread - Submission Period has ended, Preparation Phase for SWC017

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Community Scramble - Sample Collection Thread - Submission Period has ended, Preparation Phase for SWC017

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the first ever Special Songwriting Competition - Community Scramble (2019)

This thread covers the first part of this new challenge - collecting samples - which are then used in the actual Songwriting Competition in January 2019 (SWC17) as basis for every participant. Which also marks the biggest twist of this game - you're only allowed to use the provided samples to create music out of it.

How, is totally up to you. You can use sampling/re-sampling techniques, granular synthesis, wavetable synthesis, you can mangle the sounds with modulation techniques. As long as you only use what has been provided by the community in form of sound snippets and/or samples. Vocals can be added on top, but please no other sound sources for the time being.

You can read up more about this idea here:
Songwriting Competition - new game idea: Community Scramble

Image Source: ArtsyBee (background, via Pixabay), released under Creative Commons CC0

We're starting with the sample collection a bit early this year. However, in 2019 I'd like to run the sample collection from 1st December 2019 until 14th December 2019 (14 days). So please keep that in mind. In order for this endeavor to be successful, we need 10 entries with 2 samples per participant each in order to create a good "starter pack" (20 samples). But the more entries, the more variety to choose from.

More below.

:arrow: GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Sunday, 25th November 2018 to Friday, 14th December 2018 (19 days)

Sample submission will end on 14-12-2018, 11:59pm CET/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice.
There will be no global countdown available. We do post reminders via our Newsletter, Twitter account and Facebook page.

Rules: The rules of the Songwriting Competition apply, with the main difference that you're not allowed to use any other sound source than the ones provided from this sample collection thread

How to submit sample content:
  • each community member shall ideally provide no more than two (number: 2) self-created sounds
  • This must not be from free sample packages, but created by yourself. This material can be synthetic in nature or a Foley type recording (please keep things appropriate!), anything from single stabs to loops
  • the material must be in 44/24 WAV bar minimum, and 96/24 WAV absolute maximum
  • the material shall ideally not reach higher than -1dBFS to prevent clipping
  • IMPORTANT: bundle the following filled out TXT, which adds full credits to your work (download TXT)
  • the samples and TXT must be packed in a ZIP or RAR, then uploaded to any file storage to your liking (recommended systems that store longer than 7 days: Google Drive, DropBox, etc)
  • Link to the file in this thread, with some short info what you recorded (basically mirroring what has been written in the TXT)

From all these entries, 10 samples bar minimum and 20 samples absolute maximum will be selected to be a "starter bundle" for the SWC in question. If there is not enough material, or not of enough variety, the challenge will not happen. If there is too much, things will be trimmed down or used for future games of similar nature.

Once the material has been prepared, the game starts on time on 1st January 2019.

And that's about it!

Let's get creative! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Community Scramble - Sample Collection Thread - Submissions until 14-12-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your sample content

Please spread the word on Social Media!
donkey tugger

Re: Community Scramble - Sample Collection Thread - Submissions until 14-12-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by donkey tugger »

Looks like a fun idea. I'll start the ball rolling. Since I've got the Epiphone acoustic tuned to some folkie open tuning, here's a couple of droney type loops to mangle...

www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/swc-commun ... -loops.zip
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your self-created sample content
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 3 days left to submit your self-created sample content
evktalo

Post by evktalo »

Here's a few bits from old tunes:

bass.wav, 8.7s, 44/16
guitar.flac, 16s, 44/16
sh201.flac, 9.1s, 44/16

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xhwgrmvgcjzf ... e.zip?dl=0

These come from video music rearrangements, but I don't think these particular phrases were part of the original compositions.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your self-created sample content
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Community Scramble - Sample Collection Thread - Submissions until 21-12-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET (extended)

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello everyone!

I've decided to extend the self-made sounds and sample collection. Reason being: "this is a new concept, let's try to get as many people involved".

Sample submission will now end on Friday, 21-12-2018, 11:59pm CET/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice.
There will be no global countdown available. We do post reminders via our Newsletter, Twitter account and Facebook page.

Please do spread the word on social media. Thank you.
FixInTheMix

Re: Community Scramble - Sample Collection Thread - Submissions until 21-12-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET (extended)

Post by FixInTheMix »

Since this hasn´t closed yet I´ll post what I have.

One of these comes from a re-sound design project I´ve been working on and the other from an experimental audio-visual composition I made a few months ago. I have another 4 round robins for the metalhit sample but I wasn´t sure if I it would be considered against the rules.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5mfzyh8n3j5s ... s.rar?dl=0
KyleJCrb

Post by KyleJCrb »

Here are some silly vocal sounds to play with as you see fit.

https://kngi.org/miscstuff/SWC_Communit ... leJCrb.zip