2024-JUN-02 Info: Happy 10 Years Anniversary, everyone! Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 098 and Songwriting Competition 082.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC050 December 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
kevin gobin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC050 December 2018 - Submissions until 21-12-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by kevin gobin »

Edited!!!

Thank you very much guiZgui, I love that spirit, super fair!!!
loupi

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC050 December 2018 - Submissions until 21-12-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by loupi »

i wanted a solid clear mix, with the different layers audible and working together in support of an upfront mainvocal with drums playing a more supporting role (as they are maybe not the star of the song).

edits:
- i felt it was a good idea songstructurewise to take the drums out after the guitarsolo and to have them come back to emphasize the chorus.
- some clipgaining in the kicktrack to even out some hits
- moved some bassnotes to align better with the kick
- backingvocals: some editing to aligh with mainvocal

drums: made sure things were i phase, did not use the tomtracks.
kick: gate, eq, bark of dog (50hz)
snare: eq, little bit saturation knob, comp to tame attack with a snaresample to help in the chorusses
room: took out 400, 2000 and highcut around 10k
bus: sga1566, tilt eq (darker), thrillseeker vbl comp, ferrics comp, scooped out some 400hz
sends: sansamp, bitcrush wide, parallell comp
bass:doubled up for extra mids and high with fairchildlike comp, pulteclike eq, barkofdog (80hz), little sidechaincomp with kick, little chorus
sends: bitcrush wide, rev (clean studioroom)
acc guit: neb3 5088 preamp, anvil amp, little ferrics comp
sends: parallell comp , rev room , delay
tremelo guit: wanted them more in background in support of acc guit and wanted the other electric guitars to stand out against them so
150hz/2khz shelves, took out some 300 hz, exciter
sends: rev big, delay
el guit: preamp neb3 kgb, eq, widening, extra comp vitamin c for solo
sends: bitcrush wide, doubler/widening, solo rv big
pads: low/highshelf, 250hz cut
sends: rev big
vox: went for upfront and warm intimate vocal, manual de-essing and volume riding
tilt eq (darker), tape, thrillseeker comp, pultec, ferrics comp
sends: to about everything
bv:sent through anvil amp for colour, and manually de'essed and sent to big rev
fx tracks: 2 bitcrush, spread, delay, roomrev (ir), hallrev (ir), parallell comp (dc1a2)
2bus: master eq by tdr, red eq by austica, bittersweet by flux
and quite some automation (volumes, delays, rev's,...)

hope you enjoy and thank you for the opportunity!

wav: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s360k9w6yyvcw ... v.wav?dl=0
mp3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7m8i3iot7c0ka ... 3.mp3?dl=0
Last edited by loupi on Fri Dec 21, 2018 17:58 CET, edited 1 time in total.
anto

Post by anto »

Hi All,
Thanks to Gary for sharing such a great song!

Here's my mix submission:
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-wwdh ... 4EHUvFiD_C
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mXXWv ... uhqHIG7jYX

Overview
While it has a lot of the early 70’s vibe (e.g. Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pink Floyd style parts), it also has rock sensibilities (the EGTR Gain guitars) that can be used to turn the song into something huge and wild.
After listening to a few songs from the band Wilco (that Gary listed as references), I thought that this song could use some of the close-up intimate room sounds for the quieter acoustic guitar and vocal sections but go spectacularly bigger and wider in the choruses.

Mostly I've tried to keep the vibe of the song much the same, keeping the dynamics that are present whilst bringing out the beautiful sounding acoustic guitars, the awesome guitar solos, and making the most of Gary's vocal performance with his strong, deep and sometimes gritty voice.
While there was repair work to be done (particularly to the drums), it wasn't all as bad as I expected.

DAW
Reaper v5.963

Screenshots
Channel List 1
Channel List 2
Channel sends

Repair work
I spent quite a bit of time both identifying the groove and then figuring out what elements were causing the groove to falter in places.
I didn't initially align the tracks to the grids in Reaper as I wanted to see what was actually in the tracks first, find the groove and then do the alignments. However, after aligning the tracks to the 72 bpm tempo and bars, the time-alignment of tracks went smoothly.

Once I had time-aligned the drums and bass, I time-aligned the EGTR Gain tracks and guitar solos. In many cases, particularly the vocal, I chopped the audio into pieces and made very small (millisecond) adjustments to get them to better fit the groove (see the screenshots for cuts in the audio files).

I experienced phase problems with the drum tracks when attempting to EQ them. After adding the extra stereo drum room, I was able to get the drums into reasonable shape. I didn't do any sample replacement on the drums and I left the bass and drum tracks as is.
Essentially, I time-aligned the other parts around the groove created by the drums and bass.

Minor changes to the effects
I wasn’t keen on the long intro for the song with all of the Pad1 and Pad2 sounds, particularly in conjunction with such beautiful acoustic guitar sounds. So I shortened that section to make it more listener friendly.
In fact, I ended up only using Pad1 (heavy HPF and LPF to push it way back into the mix) and then automated volume and panning to give it some motion. I pretty much did the same with tremolo GTR in various places to avoid the repeated and overpowering nature of the sounds.

I then used a section of the first Pad1 section in the Verse 3 and I've dropped the drums at that point both to create a more intimate and softer Verse 3 but also to give the new Chorus more impact.

Initial levels
I adjusted the item gain of many of the drum parts and other loud sections down to around -18 dBFS for proper gain staging.
Generally I aimed for a max peak level of -24 dbFS for each channel ("staying in the green and sometimes flickering into the yellow").

Vocals
I did a lot of automation on the lead vocal, both pre-fx volume and volume (see Channel Screenshot 2). The pre-FX automation was used to even out the vocal level (avoiding excessive compression) and also bringing the vocal to life, particularly at the start and end of words and phrases.
I also automated the channel volume for verses and choruses.
On the main Vocal track (VOX Lead) I used:
  • TDR Proximity to bring the vocal to the front of the mix without sounding too compressed
  • TDR Nova was then used to remove any resonances and do some very slight de-essing duties
  • UAD Antares auto-tuning to help subtly fix any "pitchy" parts in the performance. With more time, I could have done more manual correction but I think the Antares plugin does a pretty good job without sounding obvious. ReaTune can also be used for this too
  • UAD SSL Channel E which was used for compression and EQ

The compression was light (ratio: 2:1, around 2-3 dB gain reduction).
The EQ was for beefing up the vocal, removing some nasal sounds and adding some "air" [/list]

I used a lot of processing on the vocal using Reaper's flexibility with folder groups and sends to 6 other channels (See Channel Sends screenshot):
  • VOX CMP - Pre-fader send to UAD 1176 AE (2:1 compression, 1-5 db gain reduction, standard "10-to-2" attack and release settings) into a UAD LA2A set to around 50 with the needle barely ticking 1 dB gain reduction)
  • VOX Grit - I found some of Gary's vocals became a bit "pretty" sounding particularly in the last choruses. To add more energy and some grit, I used a trick from Warren Huart and set a UAD 610-B into serious distortion (3 o'clock setting, +10 dB gain) and blended this in using automation during the choruses. It also had the effect of lifting a line in the last chorus ("Denver says, it's too late now boy, you're dead") where Gary's voice has a really awesome gravelly quality to it
  • VOX Thick - Native Instruments Reflektor XT Delay with straight 1/32 note tempo-synced delay and tape saturation to thicken up the vocals
  • VOX Delay - NI Reflektor XT Delay with multiple tempo-synced delays (1/8 dotted, 1/16 straight blended together)
  • VOX Reverb - Ducked reverb using ReaCmp and Reaper's brilliant multi-channel sends to feed both the signal and sidechain with LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Pro reverb (RT 1.40 s, large hall setting, 10 ms pre-delay)
Acoustic guitar
I wanted the acoustic guitar to sound natural so I didn't apply any overall compression to it.
TDR Nova dynamic EQ to remove resonances at 264, 541 and 1116 Hz. Added a low shelf (-3 dB @ 265 Hz, Q = 0.67), removed some mud with a narrow band (-3 dB @ 264 Hz, Q = 1.86).
After mixing this in, I noticed that it didn't quite have the right feel, so I fed the original signal into a UAD Neve 1073 to add some transformer colour (no EQ, just the circuit) and then into the dynamic EQ

Drums
I time-aligned the drums (mentioned in the Repair work above) and then passed the original signals into
UAD SPL Transient Designer on all the drums to help recover some more thud and smack. I tried to get away without it but it just sounded so much better to re-assemble the transients.
  • Kick - UAD dbx 160a (ratio: 2:1, GR 1-2 dB), ReaEQ (HPF @ 48 Hz, -6 dB/oct to protect woofers,
    band +1.5 dB @ 75 Hz to get some oomph, band +1.7 dB @ 2.6 kHz for beater smack, LPF @ 3.7 kHz, -4 dB/oct to cut highs from the mix)
  • Snare - TDR Nova to remove resonances (ringing) and do EQ duties (HPF @ 101 Hz, 6dB/oct, band +2dB @ 221 Hz for more body and high shelf +3dB @ 12.5 kHz), UAD dbx 160a (ratio: 2:1, GR 1-2 dB). Normally I would compress before EQ but using the corrective EQ seemed to be a better idea.
  • Toms - Only SPL Transient Designer
  • Room + OH Bus - I mixed all the overhead and room channels together and compressed them with TDR Kotelnikov (ratio: 2:1, 1-5 dB gain reduction). I originally tried using EQ on these tracks (usually just HPF) and that failed miserably due to phasing issues. I decided to leave all the bleed in and do a better job of time-alignment instead.
All of the drum and room bus channels were then sent into a bus with TDR Nova acting like a de-esser on a 5 kHz band (1-2 dB reduction usually just snare), into UAD SSL E Channel with 2:1 compression and EQ to fatten up the kit, remove some boxiness and give it some highs). Then into the TDR Kotelnikov acting as a drum bus compressor (ratio: 2:1, 1-2 dB gain reduction).

Rhythm Bus
Standard NY-style blending of both Kick and Bass together with TDR Kotelnikov compressor (2:1, 1-2 dB gain reduction).

Electric guitars
I just panned these left and right (around 60%) and used both low and high shelves on them to push them back into the mix.

Tremolo guitar
Ducked using with the lead vocal with ReaComp compressor (around 1-5 dB gain reduction). As previously mentioned, I used automation of volume and panning to get it moving in conjunction with Pad1 (see the screenshots, look for the zig-zag red panning automation lines)

Lead guitar
Original signal sent into UAD Neve 1073 (circuit only, no EQ for transformer mojo), then into TDR Nova dynamic EQ for LPF and high shelf with resonance removal.
EGTR Lead track signal passed into another track (panned 70%R) with Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5 (Tweedman SC Solo Lead preset) and Reflektor XT delay. Both original and FX tracks are then blended together in a bus (track folder)

EGTR Gain
Similar treatment to Lead guitar (using NI Guitar Rig 5 with same preset) and Reflektor XT delay but original EGT GAIN and EGTR GAIN FX panned hard left and right (80%), blended together in the EGTR Gain Bus, then into a stereo field widener (width 115%). ReaEQ used to create a low shelf for EGT Gain original track.

Background Vocals
Panned hard left and right (84%), blended into bus with TDR Nova for EQ and dynamic deresonance, then into NI Reflektor XT with Choir Shift preset (adds ducked delay and chorus).

Reverbs and Delays
Ambience (Seventh Heaven Pro, RT1.40 s, Small Ambience, 10 ms pre-delay) and Size reverbs (RT1.40 s, Medium Hall, 10 ms pre-delay) were used with a Short Delay (Reflektor XT, 1/64 note tempo-synced delay) and standard 1/4 and 1/8 note delays (TS4 and TS8).
See the Sends Screenshot for details of which channels are sent to these Reverbs and Delays.
I would normally use a shorter ambience reverb time but 1.40 s with a pre-delay seemed to suit the sound I was after.

Dynamics info
Measured with MAAT DROffline Mk2
44.1k/24bit WAV

Channel columns are listed in order of: Left Right Joint

Max. TPL (True Peak Level - BS.1770): -1.53 -1.59 -1.53 (ITU)
Max. SPPM (Sample Peak Program Metering): -1.59 dBFS -1.60 dBFS -1.59 dBFS
RMS: -19.23 -18.24
Max. Momentary Loudness (BS.1770): -11.31 (non-ITU) -11.42 (non-ITU) -11.36 (ITU)
Max. Short-Term Loudness (BS.1770): -12.99 (non-ITU) -12.78 (non-ITU) -12.87 (ITU)
Integrated Loudness (LUFS - BS.1770): -18.20 (ITU)

DR (PMF Dynamic Range): 12.52 12.61 13 (PMF)

Min. PSR (SPPM-to-Short-Term Loudness Ratio): 7.99 (AES)
PLR (TP-to-Integrated Loudness Ratio): 16.67 (AES)
LRA (Loudness Range - BS.1770): 14.62 (ITU)

Please feel free to ask me any questions if something isn't clear.

Cheers,
Anto
ThePresent

Post by ThePresent »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/djlvub0u03oez ... t.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9t95cu2vjuku ... t.mp3?dl=0

Great song, never tiring to listen to. First thing I heard was the David Bowie-like voice so no question whether to join or not. I hope I did the song justice.
Cheers, ThePresent

Only thing replaced in the drumkit was the kick
Song put to tempo map 72 bpm , interpreting the implicit desire of the artist.

All tracks edited in time and rendered with recording room ambience and tapesim

Kick compressed and enhanced with sub to balance against the muscular bass
Toms eq dip at around 250-350 Hz, weak hits replaced with good ones
Snare HF eq and replaced weak hits with better ones
Room track not used, OH highpassed at 400 Hz
Send reverb with longer reverb for OH and snare
Drum buss compressed with some NY style Molot

Bass put through Ignite bass amp, compressed with Molot and put through Klanghelm IVGI2 for hf saturation

All guitars dipped with high Q at 200 and 300 Hz, highpassed when bass comes in
Acoustic guitar is very important, hf enhanced with eq
Electric arpeggiated guitars flanged, chorused and put in the sides
Tremolo guitar put in distance with filter and dipped at 500 Hz
Power chords saturated a bit more and put in stereo, mid dipped at 400-500 Hz, eq up at 3300 Hz for aggression
Lead guitar sound kept intact, very good sound, highpassed and extra highpassed for half a bar to reduce clash with bass guitar
One longer send reverb for space

Vocal bus compressed and eq in high frequencies
Backing vocals put in the sides
Lead vocal with send delay, dip at 1000 Hz
Lead vocal dup treated like lead vocal

Pads toyed around with panning, HP eq and reverb

Stereo buss put through one eq for mid dip and hf enhancing, Ferox tape sim and slight Ozone for eq and safety limiting which really was not necessary in hindsight.
Last edited by ThePresent on Sat Dec 22, 2018 13:17 CET, edited 2 times in total.
Pitta

Post by Pitta »

Hello everyone!

Thanks Gary for the cool song and great vocal performance. There goes my mix:

MP3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ehUUZ_ ... sp=sharing
WAV
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m6k5aj ... sp=sharing

Mix Notes:

Bass
DI- Low Pass 155Hz - Waves C4 and CLA-76
Aux Bass Amp - Hi Pass 155Hz
- Analog Obsessiom RollAmp
Bass parallel - Sub - Waves RBass
- Compression - Waves CLA-76
Bass Aux - DI and Amp - REQ 4, CLA-76, Cakewalk CA2A.
Bass Bus - Waves Scheps73, Bark of Dog, a little ducking from kick with ReaComp,

Drums -
Room track favored over overheads - Waves REQ, Sondtoys DevilLock parallel. Send to Waves Manny Reverb(Chamber) and RVerb Hall.
Oveheads - REQ 6, Waves PuigChild, PuigTec. SoundToys Decapitator.
Kick - MH Channel Strip3 gate, Waves SSL Channel, Waves KramerHLS, Req 4
2 added samples.
Kick parallel - Headcrusher; ReaEq for Band Pass at 200Hz, Band Pass 2K.
Snare - SSL Channel, Decapitator.
2 samples added.
Snare parallel - Two tracks for attack and sustain - Klanghelm DC1A2.
2 snare samples with one parallel for sustain - DC1A2.
Toms - SSL Channel
Tom parallel - Headcrusher
Kick, snare and toms parallel - Waves DBX160
- DevilLock
Drum Bus - PuigTec

Tremolo Guitar - Scheps OmniChannel, Waves L1 on Chorus.

Electric Guitar 1 and 2 - Waves RComp, SSL Channel
- Garden Hose delay
- SoundToys EchoBoy

Gain Guitar - ReaDelay for making it stereo, Waves GTRStomp(a bit of flanger on one side), PS22Spread, REQ 6. Send to EchoBoy, Waves S1 Imager.

Lead Guitar - Scheps OmniChannel, REQ 4. Send to JS Transient Driven Auto-Pan, GtrStomp(WahWah, delay, Phaser, Sprig Reverb, Vibrato, Chorus, Doubler), SoundToys LittlePlate(mono) with LittleAlterBoy.

Acoustic Guitar - Time Adjustement, Scheps OmniChannel, Waves L1 on Chorus. Send to Valhala FreqEcho and RVerb Hall

Pad1 - Send to RVerb(Church, mono)
Pad2 - SoundToys Crystalizer

Backing Vocals - Waves RComp, REQ 6, RVox. Send to ReaDelay and SoundToys MicroShift.

Lead Vocal - REQ 6, RComp, CLA-76, Cakewalk CA2A, RDeeser, TDRNova, KramerHLS.
Parallel - DeviLock.
Send to RVerb Hall, ReaDelay, Waves HDelay, Doubler, Morphoder, LittlePlate.

Master Bus - PuigChild, PuigTec, Waves Api-2500
Parallel - Bass and Drums - Two CLA-76
- Everything else - Two CLA-76
Last edited by Pitta on Sat Dec 22, 2018 02:59 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Tapwater

Post by Tapwater »

Hey, here is my mix:

Kick: SSL Channel Strip
Snare: Kramer HLS
Toms: Izotope Alloy
Bass: Reamped & MaxBass
Guitars: Izotope Alloy
Acoustic: Basic EQ
Pads: High Pass Filters & Reverb
Vocals: Izotope Alloy & LA2A

Thanks for listening!

Mp3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NMpTL ... DurughJpX9
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jNymN ... rQKG5-ohts
vintage

Post by vintage »

Hello,

Here is my mix proposal for this song that may not be perfect but with a very human touch, I appreciate the composition and the artistic choice.

I tried to rework the sound of each track before mixing, removing the hardness of the recording and I think I arrived at a result that sounds as analog as possible.

For the mix I use the following plugins:

All bus / all channels - N4 Alexb SC9 acustica (studer console)

Drums: Acustica - Gold2 eq, N4 - 660 mK3 Comp.,Taupe
Bass: Acustica El Rey comp., Fabfilter Pro Q3
Access: Acustica Azure HQ Pre, El Rey comp., Gold2 eq,
El gt: Acustica El Rey comp., Fabfilter Pro Q3
Vocal Lead: Acustica Azure HQ Pre, El Rey Comp., Gold2 eq
Back vocal: Waves CLA
Reverb: Fabfilter Pro R, Eventide Tverb

Mixed with Studio One 4 - 24 Bits /44.1

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rRqXF ... cNioFziyqj

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xU5wu ... pYXpLeNt5N

Good listening to all and happy Christmas!

Patrick from Brussels :phones:
Last edited by vintage on Tue Dec 25, 2018 23:14 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hi!

With this I wanted to go wide, lush and airy, like that Pop Rock stuff is, with a nice Lead Vocal and obvious effects. The most obvious Effect is a long A Plate (LX480) because it was made for exactly this. :hihi: I also use a pretty bright Room for ambience (SP2016) and of course a 1/8 delay (Echoboy jr) for the "cloudy cushion". I used have 1/4 delay throws, but that p#!ce of sh1te Mixbus decided to get rid of it. I even had to automate the send fader with my mouse, because apparently you can not automate send bypass/mute in Mixbus... so I am torturing myself with a software that can't do the simplest things and is your master that decides what to keep and what not. :tu:
I didn't do any editing (as you can hear), but I used some drum samples to enhance "what's there". Although, I have to say that I am pretty shocked what Henrik got out of those drums. Awesome job! :tu:
The rest is pretty standard. EQ (ProQ2 and Harrison), Compression (Oxford, MJUC [on LV], RComp, Novatron and the Black Rooster LA3A), Limiting (Oxford, L1), a "spread bus" with Microshift and of course automation. Mixbus is Townhouse for some SSL pop music glue, Bax EQ, Sonnox Limiter for Gain Staging/Metering and a little saturation.

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mrlZt ... 4FG56KI748
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mrlZt ... 4FG56KI748

Cheers
Mork
DimitrisPalantzas

Post by DimitrisPalantzas »

Here's mine:

WAV:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RvRjM ... j2bSCpfOEO

Enjoyed this very much,thanks to GaryGermaine for the song.

Well, I squashed EGT 1,and highpassed it at 480hz. Has a main role in my mix.

Session, volumes ,pans, automation, send reverb-delay:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tO-sE ... phSztkjPXC

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qAtAx ... QUy_rHvTyW

Snare chain: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Auh8l ... occvbylV2p

The rest is mostly some typical EQing, compression and filtering.
Last edited by DimitrisPalantzas on Fri Dec 21, 2018 23:54 CET, edited 1 time in total.