2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC016 December 2018 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC016 December 2018 - Voting until 01-01-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET (extended)

Post by TrojakEW »

@donkey tugger
Thank you for lyrics. It is helpful.

TC Aeon - means no pad. You got me. Since I'm no musician and my experience with real instruments is zero. I was thinking it was instrument from your library you listed Sonixinema Hybrid Strings. It's sound too silky almost synthy. I know there are different playing style even on instruments that are not usually used to it for example I have bowed piano library that doesn't sound as piano at all but it still have more acoustic sound with many imperfection but your while sounding organic it is too perfect. :P (except this resonant like freq)
donkey tugger

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC016 December 2018 - Voting until 01-01-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by donkey tugger »

Here we go;

TrojakEW - Nice balanced mix and very clear. Composition is good too with no extraneous layering of parts - sign of a good arrangement. My only quibble would be that some of the instruments sound a bit sterile (if that's the right word) for my tastes. I'd like to hear more variation in terms of vibrato and expression on the strings in particular to make them more organic sounding. Not a fan of the piano sound personally, but then I'm never keen on grand piano sounds, always the uprights, or something a bit more esoteric (like Una Corda) for me! Good stuff all in all. - 10

Richard Clarke - Like the little percussion loop and clock type effects. I think the synths are a bit loud, as when the drums and bass kick in they don't really have the impact they should. I like the drum kit used, fits nicely, but could for me be a bit dirtier. Same goes for the bass - a bit more amp twang and some release noises wouldn't go amiss. Reminded me of early Simple Minds (before they became tossers) a bit, which is good! -9

A future in noise - Quite charming and childlike this one. Would work well in a children's Christmas film I think. It does seem quite quantised to me mind - a bit looser with some of the note placements would give it a more realistic feel - if you're going for that dual recorder sound, they wouldn't play eactly together like that, as an example. A bit more depth in the mix might be good as well - it all sounds quite upfornt at the moment so you could mess with different reverbs, and use eq to get a bit more placement. - 8

Marius L - Pleasant enough but doesn't really take off until the vocals come in, which is when it starts to make sense. Nice choice of sounds, apart from the synth bass, which seems to 'sit on top' of the music rather than locking in with the drums. A bit of eq to sit them together would sort it. Sort of meanders at the end - I was expecting more of a climax to it. Interesting nonetheless, could be very good with a better arrangement - 7

MarkS - I think this is dying for a bit of structure! There are parts where it all comes together then it wanders off again. Sounds also seem a bit basic with little variation. Somewhere in there there's the basics of a good tune, but it needs a lot of pruning. -6
A Future in Noise

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC016 December 2018 - Voting until 01-01-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by A Future in Noise »

1 TrojakEW Good overall frequency spectrum (EQ). Variations. The sound is possible to connect to winter (don't understand the lyrics, though). From 2.00 minutes I get a sense of aggressiveness, don't know if I think it fits in... Or maybe it could be regarded as a majestic sound, which in that case would be better. I wish I had had those drums of yours (orchestral kettle drums?) in my library, I would have needed them... 10p

2 RichardClarke The part without drums was a little bit too long and monotone, to my taste, even if the sounds make one think about winter. I liked the latter part better, especially the baseline, with its pauses. 9p

3 Marius L Don't know what to say, except it sounds good. But since there aren't much variations, 7.45 simply is to long (you said you were in a hurry!). And I didn't quite follow the lyrics, so I don't know to what extent it is about the winter solstice. 8p

4 donkey tugger The challenge was to create a music production that connects you to traditions around that time. That time is the time before Christianity (and when it is winter solstice), but I cannot see that you have even tried to compose such a song. There are words such as snow, winter and frost in the lyrics, but it's obvious you are singing about another kind of winter, which might as well occur in the summer (and maybe it makes a little naive impression to repeat the phrase 'once we did play' as many times as you do; there still must be places in England where you can play, if you want to).

Now, if the challenge had been different for this month, I would have ranked you much higher. The production sounds professional. You're a clever guitarist and a good singer. But you could remove the kick drum from the passage between 2.08 – 2.20, the drummer shows up very gently (five discreet hits) and then disappears again. 7p

5 MarkS It's very hard for me to understand in what way the different sounds/instruments are related/connected to each other. Despite that fact, I went into some kind of contemplative mood somewhere in the middle. It wasn't unpleasant. Maybe you should just get rid of the bass, to me it doesn't seem to belong there. 6p
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC016 December 2018 - Results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 02nd January 2019, 4:35am GMT+1/CET - the voting and feedback period has officially ended

Everyone has given feedback and cast their vote. Therefore we have no disqualification.
I will be posting the official result ts later tonight (not an automated process!).

In the meantime, SWC017 is in full swing - please spread the word:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=191
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC016 December 2018 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 16

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. TrokaEW (50 pts, maximum score!)
  2. donkey tugger (42 pts, higher overall score, see below)
  3. Richard Clarke (42 pts)

We had one tie, donkey t has 1x10 pts and 2x9 pts in his score sheet, while Richard Clarke has 0x10 pts and 3x9 pts in his sheet. According to the rule set, donkey t made the 2nd spot due to higher scores overall, Richard Clarke the third. Runner up being "A Future in Noise" (40 pts).

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes)
We have no disqualifications
"Sole (License) Winner" rule applies

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. Since the "Sole (License) Winner" rule applies, only the top spot can select something from the license pool. Selecting licenses is handled in public, please. After that, please get in touch with me (via PM) with your contact data and what license you picked. In case of the "Bjulin Waves" sponsorship - the winners podium (in case of MC015, the sole winner) can additionally select one "Inspire Me" package on top of the license selection (please mention that in the PM).

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next challenge!
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

:oops:
Thank you. Thank you. It is good to know that I'm going in the right direction and that somebody kind of like the noise I make.
A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 20:05 CET
From 2.00 minutes I get a sense of aggressiveness, don't know if I think it fits in... Or maybe it could be regarded as a majestic sound, which in that case would be better.
What I want to do is make track with different atmosphere and what you hear is right. I have this image in my head when making this track: Man walk out of his tent and he enjoy beautifull nature scenery painted by first snow. He stare at the sky with falling snowflakes and enjoying peacefull moment that make him forget about all problems and duties. After a while he is interupted and he realize what await him next. Yes that man is a soldier and he await his order to march to battle. So I want to have two opposite moments that coexist. First snow represents beautifull moment of peace but also as signal to march for battle.

Now the prize I'll pass. Hope that means that someone else next in order can pickup something right?
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 20:05 CET

(and maybe it makes a little naive impression to repeat the phrase 'once we did play' as many times as you do; there still must be places in England where you can play, if you want to).

I believe we used to call it a metaphor..like when Bobby Dylan was saying the answer is blowing in the wind, he wasn't literally waiting for
a bit of paper to blow past with his answer on it...or was he? :hihi:

Anyhow..

Congratulations Trojak, well deserved, a very good piece. I shall pass as well, won the MODO bass last time, so I'll let Richard have a go, bearing in mind we tied in terms of points.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

TrojakEW wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:21 CET
Now the prize I'll pass. Hope that means that someone else next in order can pickup something right?
Technically, below >7 participants, only the top spot can select something from the pool. Sorry.

Picking up something from Bjulin Waves for the top 3 is not a problem though.
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 16:34 CET
Technically, below >7 participants, only the top spot can select something from the pool. Sorry.
Too bad that I was hopping to make someone else happy. If it is not possible to pass the prize then I will go for Modo Bass as prize.