2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC052 March 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Waleed Morris

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC052 March 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Waleed Morris »

I red at Larry Jordan web site
if there’s one thing I’ve learned its that if I get five audio engineers in the same room at the same time, I’ll get seven opinions on what qualifies as good audio levels.
and this is absolutely right . everyone has a different prescriptive about approach his mix. but the most important thing to me is vibe and personalty . this is a heavy bass mix so the bass or low end it's so important without get track muddy or boomy .
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

That's what I struggled with. Was the track supposed to be that bass heavy where there was almost nothing else or was the reference mix just off. No way to know without talking to the client.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Dodgingrain wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 16:34 CET
No way to know without talking to the client.
This is a good point here :idea: we have a plenty of time , we could take like first 2 days to ask the client any question about every details in his mix ! I found the txt file sometimes helpful but of course will be much better to talking with him !
anto

Post by anto »

3ee wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 22:05 CET
...meanwhile, we can all discuss about the mix. :)

For example, I have a question for all.... how loud do you each think the kick/bass/sub/low freqs in general are leveled in your mix? I mean, the original/rough mix was no short than ' beyond extreme' IMO in that respect. When I was working on my mix, I was always very conservative with the low end level and I still think there probably (a bit) more than enough in my mix for example. I just installed the Ozone 8 advanced trial version and the "tone balance control" feature under "bass heavy" profile showed that I was occasionally going over with the bass level.

What are everybody's thoughts or encounters about mixing bass heavy music? ... also the experience with this particular mix :phones:
Definitely agree with you 3ee! Bass is usually one of the trickiest elements to get right and I found the bass elements of this mix to be quite tricky.
Both the 808 Kick and the bass were super heavy on the lows with very little lower-mid content.
After trying to improve the upper-mids, I pulled the bass levels down quite a bit for this mix but I still don't think the levels or the sound is quite right.
I wish I had a silver bullet to fix this for most mixes I encounter but here are a bunch of things (in no particular order) that I do to help get the bass levels "right" (whatever that is! :headscratch:)

- work in a treated room with proper bass absorption panels
- work in mono a lot
- test your mix with good-quality headphones
- test your mix on a decent home stereo system with a subwoofer
- use mix-references that I would consider to be bass-heavy and use a spectrum analyser while listening to them
- use the New York compression trick blending both the bass and the kick (usually helps with reducing muddiness)
- use the "stand outside the door" approach (I think Joe Chiccarelli suggested this though I can't find the quote)
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

so, how much submissions were in the past month? I didnt see any stat about it
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Counting will take me a while, will try to get to that ASAP
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

Two weeks passed, are there any news about TS feedback or results?
ollyaudio

Post by ollyaudio »

Soon!
Atmuse

Post by Atmuse »

Hi guy's

While we are waiting for the results, no offence to Ollyaudio. I thought maybe I could ask you some questions over here.

I was wondering if any of you knows other forums or site where they do some remix of mix challenges or competitions.

And second, I have some songs of my one finished and I would like to have some vocals on it but I can't sing at all so I was wondering if any of you knows somebody who would like to do some vocals for my tracks. Or do you know some kind of forum or site where a can contact them.

And last is there anyone who would like to do a collab with me?? I doesn't matter which style :)

Hope it's okay to ask these questions in this forum.

greatzz
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I just answered most of your questions via mail.

Else, if you wan to join the Songwriting Competition, we do have a "collaboration" thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=126