2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
GGermaine

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by GGermaine »

Hi Morelia,
I appreciate the clarification. I know how time consuming and difficult it is to judge these things.
I guess I saw your post here:
morelia wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:38 CEST
s&f wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 13:01 CEST
can you share how u compared the mixes? did u level match or used iTunes "sound check"? or just went with gut analysis?
Hi the. For the first round I just had to do a gut feeling but to be honest if the mix sounded within certain boundaries the vocal was probably the main factor.
kevin gobin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 27-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by kevin gobin »

Hello,

I first worked on the 2 points Morelia told me about: the bass (total rework) and the lead vocals takes (I selected the most agressive ones instead of playing all of them).

Then I adapted the mix to those changes: basically a lot less multiband compression and a little saturation here and there.

Good luck everybody!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k57fjfpw911rg ... 2.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3cyobna488hx ... 2.wav?dl=0
morelia

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by morelia »

GGermaine wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:09 CEST
Hi Morelia,
I appreciate the clarification. I know how time consuming and difficult it is to judge these things.
I guess I saw your post here:
morelia wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:38 CEST
s&f wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 13:01 CEST
can you share how u compared the mixes? did u level match or used iTunes "sound check"? or just went with gut analysis?
Hi the. For the first round I just had to do a gut feeling but to be honest if the mix sounded within certain boundaries the vocal was probably the main factor.
I do remember saying that. What I meant was I just listened to each mix and went with my overall feeling and anything that stood out as a problem. At one point I considered a points system for each element, bass, guitars, drums etc but I quickly threw that idea out as it just didn't seem the right way to judge a mix. Yes, very time consuming indeed. Not just for me though :hail:
Jerze

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 27-04-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Jerze »

Damn I almost didn’t check back fast enough. Great job.Morelia for getting back so soon :hail: and thanks for all the excellent feedback on the mixes. Congrats to the mixers moving on.

Here are my V-2 mixes

Wav- https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3xja8wft8cn1 ... 2.wav?dl=0

Mp3- https://www.dropbox.com/s/xecyb6iu3nj8g ... 2.mp3?dl=0

I tried to get some more low mids in the mix and also some subs in the kic , bass hopefully I didn’t muddy things up.I still didn’t get the snare, kic where I wanted them, but it is what it is. The vocals got a little work added a Verb FX track underneath and automated a few lines.

Thanks to Mister Fox for all you do!
Blang

Post by Blang »

paperthin wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 13:06 CEST
morelia wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:58 CEST
Hi Blang, the link doesn't work. Keen to listen.
It works if you click the link and add an underscore :idea:
Merci beaucoup!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC053 April 2019 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 28th April 2019, 0:45am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly not all participants were able to send in their edits. (Mork)
We have no submissions after the deadline.
Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

INFORMATION:
Due to a health related matter with the Song Provider, the results might not be released prior to early or even mid May. I apologize for the inconvenience / waiting time.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)
Songwriting Competition 21 and Mix Challenge 54 are prepared already, we'll get live on 1st May 2019. Please spread the word as much as you can.

See you on the flipside.

EDIT: Correction on participants who didn't send in their mix
stu b

Post by stu b »

Hi Mister Fox, just a heads up, paperthin and I both got our revised mixes in in time, or am I missing something?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I went back and triple checked things again. Sometimes it is really not easy to make out who made a 2nd edit and who didn't. Especially since the username on the forum doesn't match up with the name submitted for the entry.

Either way - you can double check yourself. Actually sadly only Mork is missing.

Code: Select all

BentLangerak	Page 13
CarlosB		Page 12
GGermaine	Page 13
Jerze		Page 14
Kevin Gobin	Page 14
Kirurg		Page 12
Mork		<no submission>
paperthin	Page 12
philk		Page 12
stu b		Page 12

Apologies for the confusion - I edited my last post
stu b

Post by stu b »

Nah, no problem, just wasn't sure if I'd messed up somehow, thanks for the quick reply.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 04:47 CEST
Especially since the username on the forum doesn't match up with the name submitted for the entry.
One question, why would anyone do something like this and be allowed to do it? :headscratch: