2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
hjchjc

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Submissions until 21-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by hjchjc »

Chriswilson83 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:06 CEST
Hi hjchjc

Thanks for the submission, but I'm unable to access the files! Can you change permission on the google drive files so it's public?

Should be working now - sorry about that!
Chriswilson83

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC056 July 2019 - Submissions until 21-07-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Chriswilson83 »

It is thanks!

Bombest Bomb I don't seem to have the MP3 version in that link, could you double check?
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

I just wanted to say that while the song may have not been tracked real well, personally I like it, and feel it deserves my best efforts (that is what being a "professional" is by the way). It is music, art, and a form of expression. It is our job to help the artist make it as good as it can be, in his or her eyes, with the tools we have. Material like this is not uncommon for those of us who work with unsigned talent. I have been fortunate enough to build a pretty decent studio. But a lot of the artists I work with will record with any equipment, and personnel they can find. Whenever, and wherever they find it. That is the life till they get signed, and it results in a lot of less than stellar source material. I have no problem working with music like this, and I will not have any trouble turning this into a radio ready mix.

On another note, I haven't been involved with the MC for long, but I absolutely love that it exists. I am very appreciative of all the time and effort those involved put in (Mister Fox, contributing artists, etc..) :clap: :tu: :hail: , websites like this make our industry stronger. I understand that some people may not want to work with music they don't understand, so don't. Nobody cares whether or not you submit a mix. A shameful act to spout off like that. :td: :face: :nutter: :uhuhuh: :smack:
Lewshwa Music

Post by Lewshwa Music »

Snarowitz wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 19:36 CEST
A shameful act to spout off like that. :td: :face: :nutter: :uhuhuh: :smack:
Amen.
jorgeaferroj

Post by jorgeaferroj »

Hi everyone:

First thing to do is organize every track level, one by one. I like to make busses so I did one for guitars (excluding intro guitar) and another one for the drums. Once I think I’m done leveling the mix, the next thing I did was EQ on every track. Clean them out, highlight the special things every instrument or recording has.

I like using mostly the logic EQ (channel EQ and vintage EQ) I think they work fine and are great to get a first approach to the desired mix. After EQ, comes compressor which same as EQ the logic compressor works fine and has multiple compressor options. If I’m not using the logic compressor I use H-Compressor by waves. For this mix I think it has a bunch of empty spaces which can be filled with reverbs and delays. The snare, tambourine, guitars, lead voice, chorus, and keyboard have either one of those or both. Having this gaps in the mix allowed me to make some nice riser effects with the keyboard and the guitar.

So these are the basic things I did on this mix. Yet, nice things I did on the mix were bouncing regions of an audio track and creating effects like the risers or the final lead voice making a good background “reintro”. The drum bus has the neutron 2 by Izotope which is working only as a transient shaper.
On most of the EQ theres a low cut over 100 Hz. The channels with compressor are mostly with light compression except for the chorus bus which is really compressed to make the backing voices sound more like a synth and not multiple unleveled voices.
Used the Ozone imager on the keyboard to open it into stereo. Made hass effect on tambourine.
Had to use time stretch on the backing lead voice to make it fit the tempo on the outro.

So here it is my mix, hope you all enjoy it and good luck.

WAV/MP3/IMGs

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gL9p0 ... nMeb3abIIu
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

Hi! Would it be possible to upload another version? I tinkered with my mix a bit more and I think I made something better than what I originally uploaded.
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

I'm not sure, Misterfox?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I should really implement a system that shows how many free passes people have gotten (in fact, I've delved into that already, but BTS work doesn't slow down).

hjchjc is a new user... 3 posts, first participation. I am giving a free pass in this case - you are allowed to edit your entry - but this is not a WIP section. Take note of the official Rules and Guidelines. Your entry is final.
shroom feverish

Post by shroom feverish »

Hi.

Lots of processing on all tracks. EQ, compression/limiting, distortion/drive, tape.

WAV
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HplP0U ... sp=sharing

MP3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bAfKQI ... sp=sharing
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 14:10 CEST
hjchjc is a new user... 3 posts, first participation. I am giving a free pass in this case - you are allowed to edit your entry - but this is not a WIP section. Take note of the official Rules and Guidelines. Your entry is final.
Thank you so much. Added back some of the reverb, mixed the vocals a bit lower, added some dynamic EQ because some of the resonant frequencies hurt my ears and my friends' ears when I played the initial mix for them. There's slightly better timing as well, in addition to some additional tuning on the vox.

WAV:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T-Ja_J ... jEaVlBoeU/

MP3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/147kydu ... jWQ-LK-0r/