2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC025 September 2019 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC025 September 2019 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 25 - September 2019

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention for your productions: SWC000_ArtistName_TrackName.wav/mp3 (artist name should be the same as the forum username)
  • If you only post a SoundCloud link, please name the file properly before uploading and make your song downloadable

Also please take note of the following
  • If you have an idea for future Songwriting Competition themes and/or genres, please post them here.
  • Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
  • if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us.

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (not available if genre is "Free to Select")
Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Results of the Songwriting Competition: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC025 September 2019 - Submissions until 24-09-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Sunday, 01st September 2019 to Thursday, 24th September 2019 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-09-2019, 11:59pm CEST/GMT+2 (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

SONGWRITING THEME: Calming the Inner Turmoil (Mental Health Awareness Month)

GENRE: free to select

Image Source: Pexels, photo by Austin Guevara, released under Creative Commons CC0

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:It's not always easy to find words for these premises. I would definitely like to establish recurring themes ever so often. One of them, that is very dear to my heart, is "Mental Health Awareness".

September 2018 was the first step in that direction with the theme "Dark Corners of the Mind". This year, the theme is called "Calming your Inner Turmoil" (a thank you to Kyle Crouse from KNGI Network for offering this theme title).

Mental Health is far from being an easy/simple topic. Especially since it is still being stigmatized, in cases mocked and/or just plain downplayed (the infamous "time heals all wounds", "just get better", "you forge your own destiny - just get better", etc). Each year, hundreds of people commit suicide due to underlying problems in life. May it be due due to burnout, may it be due to suffering from fears, anxiety, PTSD, split personality, crass outside influences like bullying, etc (the list is long). Even loss of a beloved one, and not being able to cope with this situation can count to that. Not being able to process with what is happening around somebody.

Struggling with mental health is no joke in our modern society of constantly being online, being pushed to function, being forced to show no signs of weakness. It's an ongoing inner turmoil. But there is only so much a human mind can take, so much to endure. Until the brakes are slammed, sometimes even without any chance to counteract, and things come to a grinding halt. The world isn't perfect - and it will never be.

The 10th of September is declared as "World Suicide Prevention Day", the 10th of October as "World Mental Health Day". I do want to spread awareness about this topic - as I'm not a flawless human being either. We do need to get rid of the stigma that you shouldn't speak up and ask for help. To pretend that everything is all right, even if it isn't. Spreading some positivity in the process. So let's do it.

A lot of people simply cope with art. May it be artwork of any kind, writing poems, humor, or in our case... creating music. Everything of that, is telling a bigger tale. And this is exactly what I'd like to evoke (again) this month: telling a story.

The genre doesn't matter.

It can be a piano tune, it can be an ambient soundtrack, it can be EDM with distorted vocals, it can be a hard rock production, it can be chaotic Drum and Bass, it can be a Hip Hop tune. Just... tell a story. A story about yourself, about somebody you know, about somebody you lost. Process your emotions, channel it into art, and let it speak for itself.

This month is about spreading awareness of mental health

Feel free to share the word via social media with the hashtags:
#MentalHealth and #PositiveMentalAttitude

Important Footnote:

If you know of somebody that is suffering from depression, showing signs of self harm or having suicidal thoughts - don't look away, do not lock this person out. Reach out, offer help - and may it only be an ear that listens to a story. If you know of somebody that is suffering anxiety or is showing signs of severe introversion, don't pressure this person, give him/her space, be mindful and understanding.

Never ever treat this person with disrespect or shrug away a subliminal cry for help. It is hard to judge how a person's mind works, sometimes the person you try to help is locking you out or will brush you away. The walls could be thick, they could be paper thin. Every single word can be measured in gold without you knowing. Be patient, be kind, just... be there.

If in doubt, contact local aid agencies that are specialized in this field.

Songwriting Add-On Rules:
  • Create a production in any genre you feel like
  • you can use any tool that is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • IMPORTANT: if you use non-licensed material (no material from sample CDs, etc), give full credit to the source material
  • It is recommended to not go higher than -14LUFS SLk (avg) or K-12v1 (avg) in terms of perceived loudness. Music doesn't have to be squashed to bits in order to be impactful - and yes, EDM can be "impactful" at this loudness
  • for newcomers: no cover versions or remixes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Songwriting Competition - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Songwriting Competition - Gossip and Discussion

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

RECURRING LICENSE SPONSORSHIP:

IK Multimedia is kind enough give away one license of MODO BASS to the winner
License will turn into NFR
More info on IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Saurus2 to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

JRR Sounds is kind enough give away any-1 sound sets or sample set of winner's choice (exception: Bundles)
More info on JRR Sounds: https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, or any 2 sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hollow Sun is kind to donate one license of "Music Laboratory Machines - The Suite I" to the winner
More info on Hollow Sun: http://www.hollowsun.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC025 September 2019 - Submissions until 24-09-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Audio Examples:

I'm cross referencing to SWC013 from September 2018. This basically has the same song listing, and then some.
viewtopic.php?p=3053#p3053

I might update this post ever so often with more songs I can find.
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

Could it be my remake of Carpenter's Halloween main theme? It will be absolutey different. And, i just started to working on it.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Please keep in mind, we have a dedicated WIP thread (see pinned threads).

You can remake any of your songs (not necessarily the entry that you might have submitted last year, everyone), as long as it is something new
Richard Watashi

Maybe you didn't understand me - i want to put my version/remake of the main theme from the horror movie Halloween by Carpenter.

Could i go with the entry?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

J I L L I A M wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 09:17 CEST
Maybe you didn't understand me - i want to put my version/remake of the main theme from the horror movie Halloween by Carpenter.

Could i go with the entry?
I highly advise you to read the Rules and Guidelines, and also the Add-On Rules of the Songwriting Competition again. A quote from above, important part marked in bold red letters:
Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 23:48 CEST
Songwriting Add-On Rules:
  • Create a production in any genre you feel like
  • you can use any tool that is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • IMPORTANT: if you use non-licensed material (no material from sample CDs, etc), give full credit to the source material
  • It is recommended to not go higher than -14LUFS SLk (avg) or K-12v1 (avg) in terms of perceived loudness. Music doesn't have to be squashed to bits in order to be impactful - and yes, EDM can be "impactful" at this loudness
  • for newcomers: no cover versions or remixes

You're no newcomer, so you should know this at this point.
In other words: no remix, post your own original content only.

Also - having a SoundCloud link as signature is highly distracting to any conversation - I've just removed it and issue an official warning to not do this anymore.
Richard Watashi

I apologize. I did read the rules long way back, and i even sensed it is not an option. I shouldn't ask, i guess and, read the rules once again.

Anyway, i am first - with absolutely minimalistic shortie : i recorded the voice on phone, so it's not a great record but, it serves.

SWC 025 - J I L L I A M - H@

- Made in FL Studio

- Instruments:
> Stock Grand Piano
> My voice
> Harmless
> the industrial percussion is from Sound Mode Audio

- FX:
> Parametric EQ
> Fruity Reverb and Delay 2
> Maximus
> Patcher
> Fruity Bloody Overdrive and Waveshaper
> Fruity Limiter and Compressor
> Maximus
> Gross Beat

I hope i didn't forget anything.

And, sorry if anyone finds it too spare and, too much like: "done-for-my-own-satisfactory-song". But anyway, enjoy - if possible.
Last edited by Richard Watashi on Mon Sep 09, 2019 22:02 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

J I L L I A M wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 15:51 CEST
I apologize. I did read the rules long way back, and i even sensed it is not an option. I shouldn't ask, i guess and, read the rules once again.

Anyway, i am first - with absolutely minimalistic shortie : i recorded the voice on phone, so it's not a great record but, it serves.

SWC 025 - J I L L I A M - H@

- Made in FL Studio

- Instruments:
> Stock Grand Piano
> My voice

- FX:
> Parametric EQ
> Fruity Reverb and Delay 2
> Maximus
> Patcher
> Fruity Bloody Overdrive and Waveshaper
> Fruity Limiter and Compressor
> Maximus

I hope i didn't forget anything.

And, sorry if anyone finds it too spare and, too much like: "done-for-my-own-satisfactory-song". But anyway, enjoy - if possible.
It's a nice track. But you're supposed to submit at least 1:30 min. I'm sure some one will bring this up, maybe edit the link/resubmit before the deadline.
Richard Watashi

Oh, no - sorry, sorry.

I forgot.

Now, i don't know - can i prolong it a little?