2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 30-09-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the last 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2
VasDim

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Mix Round 2 until 30-09-2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by VasDim »

Hi all,
this is my mix to Round 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jlv9fbon4o4d ... 2.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wprlvhfscvjsm ... 2.wav?dl=0

For all track are used:
- Waves Q10;
- Waves C4;
- Db ProComp.

AUX Effect;
- Waves TrueVerb;
- Waves SuperTap;

Good luck to all.
VasDim
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

Small changes in balances.
I sticked to my original vision that drums should be in background, not in prominent role.

Every now and the I refreshed my ears by listening
Bruce Springsteens ”Hello Sunshine” (drums)
Alison Krauss (guitars)

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hN1BH ... vjoLhNoT6R
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_tAiZ ... mq2G6ry8Kj

EDIT:
I had to repost MP3 link:
In my first post correct google drive link had '_' as a final character but system removed it.
So I made a small change to mp3 filename and loaded it to google drive. That link happened to work in this forum.
I've noticed that error also before. Forum code doesn't always create those links correctly.
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

I made intro guitar a little bit wider. Added to vocal bottom end with Rbass help. Added brightness to backing vocals by means of parallel bus with saturation. I changed a bit balance to highlight more guitars.

Wav
Mp3

Thanks to David for provided the song and good luck to everyone! May the best mix win!
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hi,

here's my second take on it:

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nsCig ... _fArYLWvQz
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mRors8 ... sp=sharing

The mix opened up quite a bit when I pulled back the drums (which is a good thing), so it had to be rebalanced completely. Although I know that it still has some kind of a modern twist, I hope this is what the client expected :)

Cheers
Mork

Edit: MP3 link AGAIN doesn't work. Fixing it...
Edit2: Works now. Don't know what's up with Goolge, I used the "copy link" from the menu
jeffssoloband

Post by jeffssoloband »

Hi all-
Barely made it, but here's my submission for round 2:
I tried to make the shaker sound a bit more natural. Eased up on the exciter on the drum buss. Boosted the reso guitars a bit. And that's about it. Hope you like it!

Thanks again for the consideration.

Best regards
Jeff

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t40dw3nunu8y9 ... 2.wav?dl=0
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 01st October 2019, 0:10am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Everyone has sent in an edit
We have no submissions after the deadline.
We even have a bonus submission, that is out of the competition (jimmy88)

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC058 September 2019 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by White Punk OD »

Mister Fox, please could you update the statistics?

Thinking loud, perhaps commenting on at least 5 mixes might become mandatory for a contestant to win a plugin,
together with cutting 5 days from the mixing deadline, and adding that as a dedicated time slot for commenting.
In short, mix faster, communicate more.

Furthermore, the position of the community on a song and set of tracks to me seems as important as the judgment of the "game client actor", because the repetitive thing and goal is _we_ and our work, and success on the market by wise decisions, recommendations, and excellent quality, while the particular song writer we will most probably never meet in real life. This is just statistics, while of course it would be a lucky situation when a skillful participant gets a deal with one or more of the songwriters. However, this is apart from the "crowd".

But definitely I want to thank all song/mixtrack providers, and I would like to see them rewarded also. They should be granted to grab the first plugin, what do you think? :)

Friendly and respectful shoutout to Mr. David Paul Paige, as he gave me another opportunity to learn something.
I have achieved quite something, when I listen to my mix on gadget speakers or in the car also, but now I know what I should have taken care of much better.
Hopefully, the top 3 will be really enjoyable and make sense to David's further work.
Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 00:24 CEST
It is the 22nd September 2019, 00:20am GMT+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

Once more, a very warm welcome to all new participants. A huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge. Although, I'd love to see just as many for the monthly recurring Songwriting Competition - which is still running. Same goes for the currently running Remix Challenge

STATISTICS (simplified again:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 000 submissions this month (will be added later)
  • We have 0 submission after the deadline
I'll be doing a submission count the next 5 days - apologies for the waiting time.

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable(!). Those that uploaded MP3s only, please take note: providing a WAV file is mandatory. Please also update your posts with documentation for others to learn from (see Rules & Guidelines).

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

:arrow: The Songwriting Competition 25 (SWC25) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th September 2019, 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST.

Those that reached out with a production for a future Mix Challenge, I've caught up with the Integrity Checks. Please get back to me at a timely manner. We're however not save of the song pool running dry.

Please spread the word!
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

well, any news? It seems to take a bit longer to choose from 10 entries than choosing from 30 (?)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Coiled_Ear wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 22:02 CEST
well, any news? It seems to take a bit longer to choose from 10 entries than choosing from 30 (?)
I will reach out to the song provider. I was informed beforehand, that he's helping with a tour. So responses might be a bit slow.

White Punk OD wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 16:05 CEST
Mister Fox, please could you update the statistics?
Will try to do so soon.

Everything else has been answered in the corresponding "General Gossip" thread in the Q&A and Gossip Area. That's why this thread is existing.