2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Submissions until 21-11-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Folks, we argue about this topic with every single game. If it's not this, then it is something else. I'm putting an end to this now, as I really do not have the time for this. Also, technically this belongs to gossip.

Snarowitz wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 03:53 CET
If it’s a rule then there needs to be some accountability so that it is fair and equal for all.

:face:
EchoOread wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 06:50 CET
So there must be a middle ground somewhere, isn't there?
White Punk OD wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 15:03 CET
to me, EchoOread's doc and audio together make perfect sense.
but of course, there are also some more ways to create an instructive documentation.

Please let me quote to you the exact paragraph from the Rules and Guidelines:
Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 20:41 CEST
Rule set for mix participants
  • It is mandatory to document the mix/production. At bar minimum, it is recommended to provide screenshots. But of course you can document report as detailed as you like. This is to learn good "session recall" tactics, engage in the conversation and for all participants to learn from each other
This paragraph has been there for over 40 Mix(ing) Challenges.
  • Either write like 2-3 paragraphs as to what you focused on
  • Post screenshots of your setup and maybe one screenshot of a certain sound you're proud of
  • or go all out on documentation

Here are two links to Mix Challenge 14 (while it was still on KVR Audio), with examples of how I did this, and actually do while mixing. To tell myself later what actually happened in a production, should I need to revisit it again.

:arrow: Which is what this part of the game is all about: learn good tactics for a session recall.

MC014 - Mix Round 1
MC014 - Mix Round 2

You're free to adhere to this or not. But you greatly lower your chance of going into Round 2 if you do not stick to the rule book.
If you continue to argue further, I am handing out disqualifying left and right for MC060.

[/end of line - MC058 is waiting]
Henrik Hjortnaes

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Submissions until 21-11-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

F3zM4d wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 18:22 CET
yes, for my personal deformation, when I work I tend to keep the sounds mainly in the center because today's kids listen to everything from smartphones or mono Bluetooth speakers. if you used a lot of stereo, some sounds would risk disappearing.
Okay, just wanted to make sure :phones:
fese

Post by fese »

satyatunes wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 00:25 CET
Hello everyone,

Here is my submission: WAV

Drums:
Kick: Pro-Q3, T-Racks British Channel
Hi satyatunes,
could you expand a bit on what you did to the kick. I always struggle to get the kick present, and I like the sound of yours. Especially EQ settings? Thanks!
Felix
fese

Post by fese »

Bison wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 23:40 CET
Hi, I found this site today and thought i would throw my hat into the ring :)

Here is my mix.
Would love to hear feedback

Bison
Since you asked for it: Afar as i can judge, it's a good mix. I like how you solved the orchestral hits. Personally I'd like the vocals a bit more up front, they feel a bit overshadowed by the music and especially by the drums. The kick sounds great but for my taste is a bit too dominant and disconnected from the rest of the drums. Apart from that feels well balanced to me.
RJR

Post by RJR »

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and really like a mix challenge!

I mixed in the box using Cubase pro 10:

-LV: Applied a lot of deEssing. Added quite some compression to even out dynamics. EQ out some of the resonating low mids. FX: Chorus, reverb and delay
-PNO: EQ-out lot of low-mids
-guitars: I did not really like the 'real guitars'(quite noisy) so I mostly used the virtual guitar and used some EQ to lower the Mids
-strings: EQ-ed lightly, mostly high-pass.
-Drums: I added samples below the SNR and the Kick to get more punch. Added reverb to the OH to simulate a room sound.
-Bass: Compress to create an even sound. Also used EQ to get rid of Low muddyness
-BV: used compression, EQ and a chorus FX to smear off the edges of the sound and get a broader image. Reverb and delays
-MIXBUS: Compressed around 3 dB, little limiting

Hope you like it!

RJ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urirch1n82gyo ... R.wav?dl=0
paperthin

Post by paperthin »

RJR wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 21:38 CET

-Drums: I added samples below the SNR and the Kick to get more punch.
I think I just heard Mr Fox screaming in the distance.

You made a decent mix, BUT - samples are not allowed, and you're way too hot.
It's all in the rules man: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2
satyatunes
Honorary Member

Post by satyatunes »

fese wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 20:00 CET
satyatunes wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 00:25 CET
Hello everyone,

Here is my submission: WAV

Drums:
Kick: Pro-Q3, T-Racks British Channel
Hi satyatunes,
could you expand a bit on what you did to the kick. I always struggle to get the kick present, and I like the sound of yours. Especially EQ settings? Thanks!
Felix
I am glad that you like it. The channel rack contains the following in order:

1. Venn Audio - Utility
Gain: -18.2 dB
Left/Right Pan: 0
Width: 0

2. Pro-Q3
HP
Freq: 33.977 Hz
Q: 0.276
Slope: 72dB/oct

Peak
Freq: 100Hz
Q: 1.0
Gain: +1.5 dB

LP
Freq: 10.979 KHz
Q: 0.267
Slope: 96 dB/Oct

3. TR-5 British Channel - Too many parm to write so I will just post a screen shot:
https://app.box.com/s/vf19dylksxzdo3acaebicbxkr6v8f3z7

then it goes through a DRUM BUS which contains some additional plugins.
Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes »

paperthin wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 22:46 CET
That's awesome. The walls in your residential must be paperthin. Mr. Fox's too Image
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

RJR wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 21:38 CET
-Drums: I added samples below the SNR and the Kick to get more punch. Added reverb to the OH to simulate a room sound.
Information: Rule VIolation

See:
Rules and Guidelines for Participants
Special Add-On Rules (Page 1 of this thread)

I quote:
  • PRODUCTION RELATED: make the best out of the provided audio material (EQ, compression, transient tools, etc), no "drum sample triggering / replacement"! Failing to adhere to this rule will result in instant disqualification

Even if it was a small careless mistake - I'm sorry

paperthin wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 22:46 CET
I'm merely enforcing the rules. Please don't push it.
huellafonica

Post by huellafonica »

Hi from Colombia, everyone!! This is my first time doing a mixing contest. I hope you like it, and please leave your comments below.

Wav file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/145Rv9q ... sp=sharing
Screenshots: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I had a lot of fun mixing this song, and enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions.

Thanks!

--

About my mixing process for this song:

I am used to organizing all my sessions in folders, properly named and colored for my clarity.

I start with a rough mix, meanwhile setting up the gain staging. For the rough mix I use my (much-loved) Console 1. It was mainly levels and panning. Another thing I do at this point is putting some markers for the structure of the song. Then I can select which part I want to work with.

Then when I feel the rough mix is ready, I start a critical listening with the drum section, processing what I think it needs.

You can see in the screenshots how I organize the tracks in the editing view, usually it is the same order in which I process the mix. Drums, bass, piano, strings, guitars, vocals and the last track you see, is the reference mix, which in this case, I used the original mix of the same song.

For the bass, I duplicated the track and one of them I treat it like a DI (original) and the other one like a simulated mic amp. Usually low end with DI and clarity with amp mic.

You can see I used 5 FX channels especially for the Lead and second voice, and just 2 or three for the rest of the band.

For the guitars (mic track) you can see I inserted a noise reduction plugin, because it had a loud noise in the background, when I compressed it the noise came up front, so I realized this was a good way to solve it.

The Lead vocal has more processing than anything else. I tried to control the “ess” issue with three instances of deessing process, and it has three compressors making just a bit of compression.

The mix has automation with VCA channels and individually.

I like to compress each bus I use to route any group of instruments, because it helps me with the glue between them. I also use some glue settings on the compressor I use on the master bus. You can see I have a “saturation bus” before the master bus, I used it to bring up some of the sustain and give more “compression” to the mix.

Anything else you want to know about my mix, please let me know!

Thanks!
Last edited by huellafonica on Tue Nov 19, 2019 04:23 CET, edited 1 time in total.