2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC32 May 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC32 May 2017 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 32 - May 2017

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (source files, submission information, sponsors), start of the evaluation process and the first post for re-submissions for Mix Round 2.

This month we get the chance to take a closer look at a Jazz / Funk inspired production by songwriter el-bo. The song currently has the work title "Funk That !!" (please consult the bundled PDF!) and is not in your standard 4/4 time signature. So synced modulation tools might definitely be this month''s additional challenge!

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: the forum design is still a Work-in-Progress. It doesn't have influence on the functionality of the forum though
  • IMPORTANT: please take note that the rule set was slightly altered. It is now mandatory to provide WAV files (FLAC bar minimum on low internet bandwidth), files need to be accessible/downloadable, try to work within suitable work levels, document your edits (now also mandatory) - we will now be more strict with enforcing the rules
  • We're desperately looking for new source material for future Mix Challenges. Please follow our official campaign. No new tracks mean no more challenges! Please reach out!
  • our Twitter account can be found via the handle @MixChallenge - throw us a Tweet and we add you to the participant lists
  • you can now support us with a voluntary monthly donation on Patreon. Some interesting bonus perks await you there, and patrons get a special rank on the forum

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information, Source Files, Sponsors
Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Results of the Mix Challenge 32: Winners announced
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC32 May 2017 - Submissions until 21-05-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Monday, 01st May 2017 to Sunday, 21st May 2017 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-05-2017, 11:59pm CEST/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice.
Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the Global Timer on the Mix Challenge home page or the World Clock at the top of the forum. We do post reminders via our Twitter account

Alternatively (especially for Mix Round 2), please consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or use the following tool and and select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

Song Provider: el-bo (Forum Profile)
Song Name and Length: Funk That !!, 2:54min
Song Information: 135 bpm / Signature: Everything but ‘bridge’ alternates between 7/4, and 6/4. Bridge is in 7/4, Key of Am (A min)
File Format: WAV, 44kHz, 24bit

GENRE: Jazz / Funk

Preview of the Song:
phpBB [media]

A word from the song provider:
el-bo (shortened version) wrote:This is really a start-from-scratch kind of deal, mainly because the initial mix was so basic, and doesn’t really offer up many clues.

I do want it to maintain some of that live studio recording vibe, as if recorded in one take by a well-rehearsed band. However, I wouldn’t want to stifle any creativity in regards to placement, effects etc.

If we assume that every player/instrument was Mic’d DI’d to separate tracks, then that would still allow for creativity in mixing. How far you can push that creative angle without losing the performance feel will be something for you to work out. Perhaps a good guiding principal would be for nothing to be included that the band could then not easily re-create during later stage performances.

With regard to tone/sound: I would like the cues to be taken from the sound of the bass guitar, from the original version, albeit perhaps toned down a little. I have included a drier, non-amped, version of this track to give some creative leeway in the mixing process, but I am still looking for a slightly edgier tone. Whether you take the original effected track or come up with suitable amp/eq replacements is up to you and your mix.

From there, aligning the sound of the drums with a more ‘aggressive’ bass is one of my main requests, as they are currently pretty weak in comparison. So, definitely a bit more grungy, and ‘urgent’ (Possibly the lamest adjective for drums, but don’t know how else to describe it). Just keep in mind not to go so far that the subtleties of the performance are lost.

Next request is with regard to space, and stereo field.

Many of the tracks have been provided as mono bounces, to allow for better placement within the stereo field. I’d love for the resulting mix to have an older ‘stereo’ vibe, where each player/instrument was very clearly situated in his/it’s own clearly defined defined space. However, I’d like to avoid it being too exaggerated - It still needs to feel cohesive, and also ‘contained’. An example would be to not have the various brass parts dotted all over the place, when they are clearly a section that would have been recorded together in a somewhat limited space.

Currently, this is a very dry mix. At various points, it can feel a bit sparse. And while I am looking for good use of reverb, it obviously needs to match the context i.e no huge stereo washes. One area that will need more attention is the piano solo. After editing out a lot of bad sustain pedaling (I am no trained pianist), the result feels a little stilted. Good use of reverb and automation, here, could help bring back some of the feeling/flow.

One important thing to note: I will be listening/judging all of these mixes on headphones. There are practical, and philosophical, reasons for this. Suffice to say, the more effort you can put into making your mix translate to headphones, the better experience I will likely have. I am not going to demand that you conduct the whole process using headphones, but it might be an interesting twist on the challenge should you decide to do so.

And one last thing: Despite making music for quite a long time, I don’t have the most developed ‘ear’ when it comes to the technicalities of mixing, nor do I likely have the right language to convey my appraisal and criticism of the process. As such, the only way for me to judge this is on the basis of how much I like the various submitted results.

A few words by the Mix Challenge staff:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:Jazz / Funk is a really tricky topic, as each person has a different opinion on how things have to sound or work together. The most important bits that stick out though, is the interaction with the musicians. One "breathes" from another, and it's a constant call / response between both musicians and instruments.

As this month's client already mentioned, the focus should be the Bass, which I also consider the driving instrument. The biggest interaction with the Bass is definitely the Piano and later the Organ, while the drum set adds to the slightly shuffled feel.

I can't give any real recommendation other than maybe hitting the usual places to read up/listen to Jazz/Funk bands, or bands that do live "one-takes" in studios. For the latter, I can definitely recommend video recordings by the BBC. For example the (IMO excellent) video series "Live from Abbey Road", or BBC Radio live streams for the Internet/TV (example: "The Fantasy Funk Band - Move On Up"). A dive into the documentary "The Story of Funk - One Nation under a Groove" might also be of interest.

Sound wise, I'd definitely go "70ies" with no unlimited frequency sweeps or panning positions (old consoles were stepped), tape machines, "grungy" effects (distorted Leslie for the Organ, Tube Amps for the bass, tube preamps for instrument sections), limited rooms (if not "real recorded" ones). The production shall sound like a "live recording of the whole band" after all. The drum set has definitely a 60ies/70ies "Bob Kit" feel, meaning: smaller, yet dampened kick, bigger snares, etc. Emphasizing on that sound might be an option, but EQ/compression can go a long way.

There are plenty of routes to go - it just depends on your creativity.

Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below. There you can find more information about the individual files and changes to the time signature.

Special Add-On Rules:
  • try to create a mix that complements this production (in your own style)
  • Clean / Alternative versions can be used if you need more flexibility over a certain sound (if present in this production)
  • No rearrangement of the song structure, with the exception of the following add-on rules (currently, no add-on rules)
  • summing bus processing is allowed, as long as the dynamic range (average signal strength to maximum signal strength) doesn't suffer - use is artistically!
  • try to not(!) pre-master the track (please no overuse of mix bus treatment, no loudness adjustments / limiting)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Files:

Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (210,69 MB, LZMA compressed)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression.
File size extracted: 696,05 MB, packed 210,69 MB (ZIP, LZMA)
In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here

Windows:
7zip - Installation / Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Mix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for mix participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

Acon Digital is kind enough give away a single plugin of winner's choice.
License will turn into NFR
More info on Acon Digital: http://acondigital.com

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate MixRight (a Reaktor Ensemble) to the winner (until further notice)
License won't turn into NFR, you need Native Instruments Reaktor 5.8+ for this
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com/

Metric Halo will give away a single plugin of winner's choice.
More info about Metric Halo: http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/

Nyrv Systems offers AGENT incl. all currently available NyrvDevices and free update to at least v1.5 of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info about Nyrv Systems: http://www.nyrvsystems.com/

Sound / Graphic Designer, and Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

Tone2 is kind enough to donate either a bundle consisting of AkustiX Enhancer and WarmVerb, or a license of Ultraspace to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

Two Notes Audio Engineering is kind enough to donate one license of Torpedo Wall of Sound III to the winner, loaded with 57 cabinets (equivalent to "Torpedo WoS II") (donation until Summer 2017)
License will not turn into NFR
More info on Two Notes: http://www.two-notes.com/en/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on mix plugins, bundles and the likes), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/MixChallenge

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC32 May 2017 - Submissions until 21-05-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your mix.

Who will be this month's ice breaker?
Photonic

Post by Photonic »

Well, I guess it's me again :wink:

This was fun to mix for me, because I felt comfortable with this genre and I like the composition. Very well done El-bo!
I used the dry bass version and the Bass Professor II by Sonic Anomaly to make it sound like an amped bass. For the organ I used the FX version.
I did not have the feeling that the tracks need a lot of processing. They sound quite well as they are. Beside EQ in every. I only used the compressor a few times. I used two short reverbs to set all instruments in a certain environment. No delays or other effects used.

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7zxl3rageggu ... c.mp3?dl=0
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uc7oqzureiw8 ... c.wav?dl=0

Details:
Reaper v5.33

Drum-Bus: FerricTDS in Classic Mode with nearly full dynamics and satturation, ReaEQ with a 1.5dB boost at 700Hz.
Kick: ReaEq with highpass at 50Hz, boost 6dB/100Hz, cut 4dB/250Hz, low pass at 5kHz/4dB peak
Snare: ReaEQ with highpass at 180Hz, cut 9dB/300Hz, boost 4dB/6kHz
HH closed and pedal: ReaEQ with highpass at 250Hz, cut 2dB/3 kHz, boost 4dB/9kHz, low pass 17kHz
Toms high and mid: ReaEQ with cut 6dB/300 Hz, boost 3dB/5kHz
Floor tom: ReaEQ with boost 15dB/40Hz, cut 9dB/500 Hz, boost 3dB/5kHz.
Crash1: ReaEQ with high pass at 120Hz, cut 3dB/800Hz, high shelf 5dB/3kHz
Crash2 ReaEQ with high pass at 120Hz, boost 2dB/600Hz, high shelf 5dB/3kHz
Ride: ReaEQ with high pass at 260Hz, cut 3dB/1kHz, boost 3dB/8kHz
Room (artificial track, simulating room mic): ReaEQ with high pass 60Hz , boost 3 dB/800Hz, low pass 13kHz, ReqComp (3:1, auto attack and release, max 6dB reduction, 6dB knee)

Bass: Dry version used and split into verse and chorus, Bass Professor II by Sonic Anomaly (different setting for verse and chorus), ReaEQ, cut 3 dB/200Hz, boos 4dB/1kHz
Bass-Strings: ReaEQ wit low shelf -4dB/280Hz, boost 3dB/450Hz, low pass at 3.6kHz

Wurly: ReaEQ with highpass at 130Hz, cut 4dB/2.3kHz, low pass at 6kHz
Clavinet: ReaEQ with highpass at 180Hz, cut 3dB/1kHz, boost 4dB/6.5kHz, low pass at 6kHz
Piano: ReaEQ with highpass at 150Hz, cut 2dB/400Hz, boost 3dB/6kHz
Vibraphone: ReaEQ with highpass at 380Hz, cut 6dB/600Hz, boost 5dB/3.5kHz, low pass at 12kHz, ReaComp (4:1, auto attack and release, max 3dB reduction)
Organ: Version with FX used, ReaEQ with high pass 200Hz, cut 3dB/350Hz, boost 3dB/2kHz

Brass-Bus: ReaComp (2:1, 20ms attack and 200ms release, max 3dB reduction, 3dB knee), ReaEQ with high pass at 150Hz, cut 2 dB/1kHz, boost 6dB/4kHz

Mix-Bus: MQ57, Satin, Span

DR according TT-DR-Meter: 12
el-bo

Post by el-bo »

Photonic wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:00 CEST
Well, I guess it's me again :wink:

This was fun to mix for me, because I felt comfortable with this genre and I like the composition. Very well done El-bo!
I used the dry bass version and the Bass Professor II by Sonic Anomaly to make it sound like an amped bass. For the organ I used the FX version.
I did not have the feeling that the tracks need a lot of processing. They sound quite well as they are. Beside EQ in every. I only used the compressor a few times. I used two short reverbs to set all instruments in a certain environment. No delays or other effects used.

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7zxl3rageggu ... c.mp3?dl=0
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uc7oqzureiw8 ... c.wav?dl=0

Details:
Reaper v5.33

Drum-Bus: FerricTDS in Classic Mode with nearly full dynamics and satturation, ReaEQ with a 1.5dB boost at 700Hz.
Kick: ReaEq with highpass at 50Hz, boost 6dB/100Hz, cut 4dB/250Hz, low pass at 5kHz/4dB peak
Snare: ReaEQ with highpass at 180Hz, cut 9dB/300Hz, boost 4dB/6kHz
HH closed and pedal: ReaEQ with highpass at 250Hz, cut 2dB/3 kHz, boost 4dB/9kHz, low pass 17kHz
Toms high and mid: ReaEQ with cut 6dB/300 Hz, boost 3dB/5kHz
Floor tom: ReaEQ with boost 15dB/40Hz, cut 9dB/500 Hz, boost 3dB/5kHz.
Crash1: ReaEQ with high pass at 120Hz, cut 3dB/800Hz, high shelf 5dB/3kHz
Crash2 ReaEQ with high pass at 120Hz, boost 2dB/600Hz, high shelf 5dB/3kHz
Ride: ReaEQ with high pass at 260Hz, cut 3dB/1kHz, boost 3dB/8kHz
Room (artificial track, simulating room mic): ReaEQ with high pass 60Hz , boost 3 dB/800Hz, low pass 13kHz, ReqComp (3:1, auto attack and release, max 6dB reduction, 6dB knee)

Bass: Dry version used and split into verse and chorus, Bass Professor II by Sonic Anomaly (different setting for verse and chorus), ReaEQ, cut 3 dB/200Hz, boos 4dB/1kHz
Bass-Strings: ReaEQ wit low shelf -4dB/280Hz, boost 3dB/450Hz, low pass at 3.6kHz

Wurly: ReaEQ with highpass at 130Hz, cut 4dB/2.3kHz, low pass at 6kHz
Clavinet: ReaEQ with highpass at 180Hz, cut 3dB/1kHz, boost 4dB/6.5kHz, low pass at 6kHz
Piano: ReaEQ with highpass at 150Hz, cut 2dB/400Hz, boost 3dB/6kHz
Vibraphone: ReaEQ with highpass at 380Hz, cut 6dB/600Hz, boost 5dB/3.5kHz, low pass at 12kHz, ReaComp (4:1, auto attack and release, max 3dB reduction)
Organ: Version with FX used, ReaEQ with high pass 200Hz, cut 3dB/350Hz, boost 3dB/2kHz

Brass-Bus: ReaComp (2:1, 20ms attack and 200ms release, max 3dB reduction, 3dB knee), ReaEQ with high pass at 150Hz, cut 2 dB/1kHz, boost 6dB/4kHz

Mix-Bus: MQ57, Satin, Span

DR according TT-DR-Meter: 12
What a surprise!! :hyper:

Will keep this short, for the moment, as I'm currently in the middle of a big life upheaval. I'm also pretty sure (though, not certain), that I am supposed to keep my critique till after all tracks have been submitted.

I am really glad you liked the choon, though. Also, I was surprised at how much the result made the entire track feel like someone else...Which is a good thing. Only heard it via my phone/earpods, so am looking forward to getting my rig set up, so that I can have a really good listen.

Thanks for playing :tu:
Small Ocean

Post by Small Ocean »

Hey guys, this is my first Mix Challenge submission.

MP3: http://www.smallocean.net/pubshare/Funk ... an_Mix.mp3
WAV: http://www.smallocean.net/pubshare/Funk ... an_Mix.wav (48khz, 32 bit as this is what my DAW operates at)

DAW Used:
Ableton 9

DR according TT-DR-Meter: 11

Comments:

As per the instructions I put some focus on the bass - I used both the dry and the effected versions of the stem, boosting the bottom end of the dry before heavily compressing - while blending in the wet stem and boosting the mids a little to give it its more aggressive character and tone. I also subtly sidechained the kick to the bass, to make the track overall more punchy.

I tried to make sure the snare was bright and punchy, and applied some subtle glue compression to the drum bus after eq and panning each drum.

I probably had the most trouble with the brass, I couldn't quite get it to sound how I wanted - I did end up automating its volume at the end so that it starts off a little quieter before building up to a louder crescendo.

On the mix bus I put on a bit of tape saturation just to give it a slightly more 70s feeling (although in general my mix probably sounds too modern still), I also found my overall mix to be a bit narrow so did a tiny bit of stereo enhancement on the mix bus too (hope this is allowed! :pray: )

It was a fun track to play with el-bo, hope you enjoy my mix!
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Ok, this is also my first submission to the challenge. It was really fun to mix and the raw material was a great starting point. Thanks to el-bo for providing it.

To keep things tidy here I've written my documentation into an Evernote note, since I can include text, audio and images, and keep updating it if needed. Anyone can check it out following the link. The mp3 file is included in the note, along with pictures of the session and the 2bus plugins' settings. I didn't focus too much on what I did, but mostly on why I did it. Hope you enjoy listening and reading, and if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them the best I can.

Btw, I used a transparent limiter to bring up the levels so they're peaking around -6 -4 dBFS instead of -12 -10, there's no GR at all so the sound shouldn't change.

WAV (You don't need a MEGA account, just "download through browser"): https://mega.nz/#!tCABnRrY!JYK0VHdp7iSd ... g0Nhj6NcvU
Documentation + mp3: http://www.evernote.com/l/AayuEgM-NB5JC ... PCbNxxqZc/

That's pretty much all, I hope you enjoy my mix and it gets close to what you had in mind for it.
Cheers!
el-bo

Post by el-bo »

Thanks 'Small Ocean', and, 'OctopusOnFire'. for your submissions.

Will download all three of the tracks, this evening, and start to listen, note impressions etc.

Thanks again, guys :tu:
SergioITASCO

Post by SergioITASCO »

Hi,

here my submission....

MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByeHtH ... sp=sharing
WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByeHtH ... sp=sharing

DAW: cubase

Comment: N/A

Please let me know if I'll win... :lol: :lol: Anyway I hope sincerely you'll enjoy.

Thanks.
thiagoam88

Post by thiagoam88 »

Hey, guys!

Good to be back to one more challenge!

Here's my attempt!

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_g4B ... UlJLWZBdWM
MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_g4B ... Ed3b09LZU0

I'm not sure if it's now obligatory to document my mix or just edits, so I'll just post the files for now.

Good job with the new home, @Fox!