2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
dadomachado

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Submissions until 21-07-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by dadomachado »

Hello all,

Great song. I'm new to contest and I hope you like my first mix here.

Follows my workflow on this one:

First I work on gain staging, volume and panning on all the traks. I added an SSL 4000 console to all tracks (just some filters and light compression) to give it a nice vintage vibe.

Then I worked on some vintage processing using different analogic compressors and EQ for each group of tracks to create some separation and depth to the track:
Drums: VEQ4 and API 2500
Bass: reamp with GK, API550A and CLA-2A
Guitars: API550B and CLA-3A
Lead Vox: vComp, Dangerous BAX, Rdeeser
BG Vox: Just the SSL console
Keys/Synths: Scheps 73

After thats I worked on some spacial processing using some small slap delays and Early Reflections. Some more intense Reverbs on Lead Vox.

I opted on no parallel processing on this one.

I hope you all liked this one and would like any comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Dado Machado

https://www.dropbox.com/s/neg19lmmxr60r ... o.wav?dl=0
ciaranchrisoshea

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC067 July 2020 - Submissions until 21-07-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by ciaranchrisoshea »

Hi everyone!

First of all thank you again for the chance to mix this great track, really enjoyed it and really like the Paint Me In Colour stuff on Spotify!

Great work with all the other mixers too... some serious mixes this month.

Heres the links to my mix and to the screenshots

Mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r-j3tS ... sp=sharing

Screens: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Integrated LUFS -18
True Peak Max -3dB

My approach to mixing the song for me was to identify the focal points for each section and to place the "spotlight" on them.

All mixed ITB with Pro Tools 12

Vox
Obviously I felt the vocals were going to be the focal point for most of the song so I got to work and mixed those before anything else. I did a fair amount of clip gaining on the vocals both so that every word could be heard and also to get it as level as possible to give the compressor a lot less to do. Afterwards some EQ (Pro Q3) to remove any trouble frequencies and high pass, then more EQ to add a lot of top end sheen. This was followed by compression (LA2A) and finally saturation (Decapitator)
Backing vocals were all bussed together and given similar treatment, albeit with some low pass filtering to make them sit behind the lead more.

The Low BV I treated with a high pass to cut the muddiness and push them back in the Mix with reverb and Delay to try to sit it with the Main Vox.
All vocals were given Reverb (HVerb) and some Delay tracks using Mod Delay III

Drums
Drums were mixed second. Kik In and Out Bussed together and given EQ with Pultec EQ (60Hz low end boost and attenuate trick) a little compression and a little ambiance. Same process for the Snare, which I boosted around 200Hz for body and 8k for smack.
Toms were tidied up and put into a space. Not a lot else done, Rooms and OH were Filtered a little but thought the recording was fairly good. A little compression And Eq on the Drum Buss removing some 400Hz, paired with a parallel crush channel gave me the sound i wanted.

Bass
Bass I split into 3 channels, Sub Low and Mid. Each channel got some EQ to sit with the kick, some Compression using the 1176, and some saturation using the Decapitator.

Guitars
There wasn't a whole lot done to the guitars. Each panned L and R and I though the tone of them was quite good. A little Eq to High Pass below 80Hz, and some sidechaining was used with the vocals so that they would allow the vocal to keep its own space all the time. I added some reverb using a warm Plate on the melody lines, which I panned opposite to the guitar to give stereo space.

Keys / Rhodes / Pads / Swells
Again here just EQ used to make sure they all sat in the mix (Pro Q3) and that the vocals were front and centre. Some transient design on the Lead keys to bring the attack out and cut the tail. Keys were treated with Mono Reverb again panned opposite to add to stereo width.

Thats really the long and short of it. There was a fair amount of volume automation done to most instruments (mainly vocals) after i was happy with the placement and tone of everything.

All Reverb tails were treated with a little saturation for colour and to blend everything more.

Not much Mix Bus processing. I pushed about 1.5dB of 10k using the UA 610-B to add some sheen, added a little compression, no more than 2dB at peaks for glue and some tiny automated EQ cuts throughout the song using ProQ3

Overall great track to mix and hope you enjoy!
Ciarán
Kiseki

Post by Kiseki »

Hi!
I'm french and this is my first Mix Challenge.

My mix : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuPMjkoYSk4OlFtxzba ... D?e=j1ZXW7

I focused on the identity of the group: the mix of modernity with vintage sound. So I valued clean guitars (like Sting), I overdub the drums for more punch (French touch), made vintage toms (like phillcolins), and I modernized the voice a bit.

I mainly used the J37 plugins, the T-RackS Black 76, the FabFilter Pro-Q 2, and de Waves Rcompressor.

Small feature I mixed with the "T-RackS Bus compressor" on my bus master just for the "glue".

I hope you enjoy it!
Last edited by Kiseki on Sun Jul 19, 2020 16:34 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Hello Everyone! I hope this message finds you all well and safe.

Thank you once again to Mister Fox for providing another mix challenge, and of course to Sam Pierpoint for providing the track.

Here is my mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xV_AxH ... sp=sharing

/////

Master Track
........EQ
........Bus Compressor
"SUBmaster"
........Pultec type EQ
........Tape Simulator
........Multi Band
"ALL BGV"
"ALL LV"
"ALL KB"
........Bus Compressor
"ALL GTRS"
........Bus Compressor
"ALL BASS"
"ALL DRUMS"

"DRMS GRP"
........Bus Compressor
........EQ
........Saturation
"DRM Room"
........Room
"DRM PLT"
........Plate
"DRM PAR"
........Parallel Compressor
"DRMSSUB"
........Lowender
"KICKaux"
........Compressor
........Distortion
........Upwards/Downwards Compressor
"KICKpar"
"SNRaux"
........Compressor
........EQ
........Distortion
"SNRpar"
"TOMSaux"
........Compressor
........EQ
"BRIGHTaux"
........Channel Strip
........Multiband Compressor
"ROOMaux"
........Compressor

"BASS GRP"
........Compressor
"BASSSUB"
........Lowender

"GTR 1"
........EQ
........Spring Reverb
"GTR 2"
........EQ
"GTR 3"
........EQ
........Plate
"GTR 4"
........EQ

"KB 1"
........EQ
........Chorus
"KB 2"
"KB 3"

"BGV 1 GRP"
........Compressor
........Imager

"BGV 2 GRP"
........Compressor
........Upward/Downward Compressor
........Imager

"LV 1 GRP"
........EQ
........Upward/Downward Compressor
........Imager
"LVsat"
........Sat1
........Sat2
........EQ
"LVsat2"
........Sat
"LVRoom"
........Room
"LVddl"
........DDL
........EQ

"LV 2 GRP"
........Compressor
........EQ
........Imager
........Multi-band

ALL LIVE DRUMS WERE CHECKED FOR POLARITY AND CORRECTED

"Crush Room"
........EQ
........CLIPPER
"Room L"
"Room R"
"OH L"
........EQ
"OH R"
........EQ
"Hi Hat"
........Channel Strip
........EQ

"TOM DUB VCA"
"Tom Dub OH L"
"Tom Dub OH R"
"Tom 1 Dub"
"Tom 2 Dub"
"Tom 3 Dub"
........EQ
"Tom 1"
"Tom 2"
........EQ
"Snr Bot"
........EQ
"Snr Top"
........EQ
"Kick Out"
........EQ
"Kick In"
........EQ

BASS WAS MULTED INTO LOW AND HIGH FREQUENCY
"Bass L"
........EQ
"Bass H"
........EQ

"Vrse Cab 1"
"Vrse Cab 2"
"Lead Cab"
"P Chrs Cab"
........Parametric balance control
"Chrs Cab 1"
"Chrs Cab 2"
"Crunch 1"
"Crunch 2"
"Crunch 3"
"Crunch 4"
"Funky Cab"
........EQ
........Imager

"Rhodes"
........EQ
"Lead Keys"
........EQ
........Motion Plugin
"Build"
........EQ
"Pad"
........EQ
........Imager
"Swell"

"Lead Vocal"
........Compressor
........EQ
........Multi-band
........DeEsser
"LV PAR"
........Parallel compressor
"Crunch LV"
"Low LV"
"Soft LV 1"
........Compressor
"Soft LV 2"
........Compressor

"BGV 1"
"BGV 2"
"Ahh 1"
"Ahh 2"
"Ahh 3"
"Ahh 4"
"Ahh 5"
"Ahh 6"
alessiomeleo

Post by alessiomeleo »

EN

Hi everyone, I'm Alessio Meleo and I'm an Italian sound engineer. It is a pleasure to have the opportunity to participate in this mixing contest.

I briefly describe what I applied in my mix:

I use Cubase as a daw.

I used expander on most drum tracks together with compressors (1176 UAD) and eq (Fabfilter). I applied a bus compressor on the drum bus track.
On the bass I used a sidechain with the kick, compressed with 1176 and eq bx 4000G. I also used a low frequency resonator to inflate it.
On guitars I used different processes for each type of sound. I used waves series compressors and eq APIs, in some I saturated with Soundtoys Decapitator.
On the keyboards I only applied a high pass filter and the native eqs of the daw.
The lead entry was processed with 1176 UAD and Neve88RS UAD as eq. The other voices directly on the bus in the same way, keeping them clearer than the lead. I used reverb and delay for vocals, only reverb on snare, toms, and guitars.

Hope you like it.
Good luck to everyone and may the best win.

LINK SONG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KLA5W_ ... sp=sharing

IT

Salve a tutti io sono Alessio Meleo e sono un sound engineer italiano. E' un piacere avere la possibilità di partecipare a questo contest di mixing.

Descrivo molto brevemente cosa ho applicato nel mio mix:

Uso Cubase come daw.

Ho utilizzato degli expander sulla maggior parte delle tracce di batteria insieme a compressori (1176 UAD) ed eq (Fabfilter). Ho applicato un bus compressor sulla traccia bus della drum.
Sul basso ho utilizzato un sidechain con il kick, compresso con 1176 ed eq bx 4000G. Ho anche utilizzato un risuonatore sulle basse frequenze per gonfiarlo.
Sulle chitarre ho utilizzato processi differenti per ogni tipologia di suono. Ho usato compressori ed eq API della serie waves, in alcune ho saturato con Soundtoys Decapitator.
Sulle tastiere ho solo applicato un passaalto filtro e gli eq nativi della daw.
La voce lead è stata processata con 1176 UAD e Neve88RS UAD come eq. Le altre voci direttamente nel bus nello stesso modo, mantenendole più chiare rispetto alla lead. Ho usato reverb e delay per le voci, solo reverb su rullante, toms, e chitarre.

Spero vi piaccia.
Buona fortuna a tutti e che vinca il migliore.

LINK BRANO: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KLA5W_ ... sp=sharing
Pemberley

Post by Pemberley »

Here's my mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13zW2PR ... sp=sharing

Thanks to the artist and folks from mix-challenge again for the opportunity. A great song this month, with some especially great vocal talent! I had a lot of fun working with this track, and am eager to get any feedback I can. Here's roughly what I did:

Drums: Foote P3S in nonlinear timing mode, saturating the class A/transformer output just a touch. Aw yeah. Decapitator on snare, sine kick gated in at 55 Hz for a bit more bottom. I really liked the toms in this track, and used PSP Twin-L to smash the dub toms a bit.

Synths: PSP OldTimer MB on Rhodes+lead keys+pad for some gooiness. Aphex Aural Exciter on Rhodes to brighten/crispen it a little for cutting through the mix. Black Rooster Cypress TT-15 and FabFilter Saturn on Guitar Crunch for some extra Crunch.

Vocals: Purple Audio MC77 -> AnalogObsession LALA on lead, Lindell 354E on group.

Delay: Replika receiving from Verse Cab, P Chris Cab, Funky Cab, Lead Cab to further emphasize the groove.

Reverb: Exponential PhoenixVerb in hall mode receiving from various things, but mostly vocals.

Secret sauce: Track receiving from drums, vocals, guitars with ValhallaVintageVerb dirty plate -> mid/side encoder -> RSP Saturator -> mid/side decoder for some wide DIRT, especially in the slower, dirtier parts.

Mix bus: SPL Iron for glue -> Black Rooster Magnetite (blue tape) for some saturation.

It seems we've got a particularly multinational field this month; much love to all from lockdown in New Jersey! :phones:
Dallasmixmusic

Post by Dallasmixmusic »

Had fun with this Mix
Neve 2254 on bass
Neve 33609 on master buss
kick in Distressor and 31102 EQ low cut and bump at 200
1176 blue face on snair top
kick snare parallel buss crushed by distressor
heavy guitars to LA3a's
vox melodine very light but especially on that last note
vocal enhansor 1176 and RCA ba6a
140 plate and gold foil plates panned Left and right
h3000 on vocal slap
Admittedly I forgot to use the low vocal but didn't miss it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tj1VX5 ... sp=sharing
Oleg.Uleev

Post by Oleg.Uleev »

Hello, this is my version of mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TQm1ej ... sp=sharing

I work in Logic

Vocals Lead: DeEsser on group

Lead Vocal: LinEQ lowband (cut 43Hz), FabFiletr (Dynamic boost 250Hz, 3kHz boost, 4,3 kHz cut, 3,3kHz dynamic cut), API 550B (15kHz boost, 5kHz boost), PuigTech EQP1A (100Hz boost), PuigChild 660, CLA-76 (pre-fader)
Chrunch LV: lowband (cut 43Hz), FabFiletr (Dynamic boost 250Hz, 3,4kHz dynamic cut), PuigTech EQP1A (100Hz boost), RVox, CLA-76 (pre-fader).
Low LV: LinEQ lowband (cut 43Hz), FabFiletr (Dynamic boost 250Hz, 3kHz boost, 4,3 kHz cut, 3,3kHz dynamic cut), API 550B (12,5kHz boost), CLA-76
Back Vocals (BVG 1,2, Soft LV 1,2): LinEQ lowband (cut 89Hz), FabFiletr (Dynamic boost 250Hz, 3,4kHz dynamic cut), API 550B (20kHz boost), CLA-76, DeEsser.
Back Vocals (Ahh): L2 (-1,0), LinEQ lowband (cut 89Hz), FabFiletr (shelf boost 21kHz), CLA-76, S1.

Keys:

Build: -
Lead Keys: LinEQ lowband (cut 65Hz), API 550B (15kHz boost), API 2500.
Pad: LinEQ lowband (cut 43Hz), API 550B (15kHz boost), API 2500.
Phodes: LinEQ lowband (cut 43Hz), API 550B (15kHz boost), API 2500.
Swell: LinEQ lowband (cut 65Hz), FabFiletr (Dynamic cut 123Hz), API 550B (15kHz boost), API 2500.

GTR:

Vrse Cab 1,2 (group): SSL Chanel (Hi Cut, 10kHz boost, 4,5kHz boost, 2kHz boost, 200Hz boost)
Chrs Cab 1,2 (group): SSL Chanel (Hi Cut, 10kHz boost, 4,5kHz boost, 2kHz boost, 200Hz boost), S1.
Lead Cab: SSL Chanel (10kHz boost, 4,5kHz boost, 2kHz boost, 200Hz boost)
P Chrs Cab: SSL Chanel (10kHz boost, 4,5kHz boost, 2kHz boost, 200Hz boost)
Funky Cab: (Hi Cut, 10kHz boost, 4,5kHz boost, 2kHz boost, 200Hz boost)
Crunch 1,2,3,4 (group): SSL Chanel (10kHz boost, 4,5kHz boost, 2kHz boost, 200Hz boost).

BASS: FabFiletr (Dynamic cut 40Hz), API 550B (1,5kHz boost), CLA-2A.

DRUMS (group): AR TG (input boost)

Crush Room: LinEQ lowband, FabFileter.
Kick In: SSL Chanel
Kick Out: SSL Chanel
Tom 1: SSL Chanel
Tom 2: SSL Chanel
Tom 1 Dub: SSL Chanel, FabFileter
Tom 2 Dub: SSL Chanel.
Tom 3 Dub: SSL Chanel.
Room L,R (group): CLA-76
OH L,R (group): CLA-76
Tom Dub OH L,R (group): CLA-76
Snr Bot, Top (group): API 550B, dbx-160.

I mixing to Group VOCALS and Group MUSIC (NLS Channel) 
Stereo OUT (NLS Buss and SSL Comp)

I have so much Automation on volume's, reverb's, delay's, and some special effects. Also i use room and reverb from my Eventide H9.

Thanks)
RJR

Post by RJR »

Fun track to mix!

I used some distortion on the main guitar riffs. The vocals have 3 compressors on it to tame the dynamics and to get an upfront feel. One of them is a dynamic compressor to tame some of the harsh 3-4k parts of the vocals.
A slap delay and reverb added a bit of ambience.
The snare and kicks were gated and the snare has a non linear reverb.
Furthermore quite some automation was used to build the song.
The master had a SSL compressor to get the glue.

Cheers!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c164s6n0ce9pi ... r.wav?dl=0
Denzzony

Post by Denzzony »

alessiomeleo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 15:45 CEST
EN

Hi everyone, I'm Alessio Meleo and I'm an Italian sound engineer. It is a pleasure to have the opportunity to participate in this mixing contest.

I briefly describe what I applied in my mix:

I use Cubase as a daw.

I used expander on most drum tracks together with compressors (1176 UAD) and eq (Fabfilter). I applied a bus compressor on the drum bus track.
On the bass I used a sidechain with the kick, compressed with 1176 and eq bx 4000G. I also used a low frequency resonator to inflate it.
On guitars I used different processes for each type of sound. I used waves series compressors and eq APIs, in some I saturated with Soundtoys Decapitator.
On the keyboards I only applied a high pass filter and the native eqs of the daw.
The lead entry was processed with 1176 UAD and Neve88RS UAD as eq. The other voices directly on the bus in the same way, keeping them clearer than the lead. I used reverb and delay for vocals, only reverb on snare, toms, and guitars.

Hope you like it.
Good luck to everyone and may the best win.

LINK SONG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KLA5W_ ... sp=sharing

IT

Salve a tutti io sono Alessio Meleo e sono un sound engineer italiano. E' un piacere avere la possibilità di partecipare a questo contest di mixing.

Descrivo molto brevemente cosa ho applicato nel mio mix:

Uso Cubase come daw.

Ho utilizzato degli expander sulla maggior parte delle tracce di batteria insieme a compressori (1176 UAD) ed eq (Fabfilter). Ho applicato un bus compressor sulla traccia bus della drum.
Sul basso ho utilizzato un sidechain con il kick, compresso con 1176 ed eq bx 4000G. Ho anche utilizzato un risuonatore sulle basse frequenze per gonfiarlo.
Sulle chitarre ho utilizzato processi differenti per ogni tipologia di suono. Ho usato compressori ed eq API della serie waves, in alcune ho saturato con Soundtoys Decapitator.
Sulle tastiere ho solo applicato un passaalto filtro e gli eq nativi della daw.
La voce lead è stata processata con 1176 UAD e Neve88RS UAD come eq. Le altre voci direttamente nel bus nello stesso modo, mantenendole più chiare rispetto alla lead. Ho usato reverb e delay per le voci, solo reverb su rullante, toms, e chitarre.

Spero vi piaccia.
Buona fortuna a tutti e che vinca il migliore.

LINK BRANO: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KLA5W_ ... sp=sharing
allow access to the link