2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 39 - November 2020

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2.

Read more about this month's competition further down below.

Please take note of the following
  • Please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game and upload/submission guidelines. As of August 2020, we have some more engaging game mechanics that allow you to submit your entry, gather feedback and then re-upload with enhancements until the deadline has been reached
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention for your productions (artist name = forum username):
    • SWC000_ArtistName_TrackName.wav and/or .mp3
  • IMPORTANT: if you only submit your production through Soundcloud, name your files properly prior to uploading and make the production downloadable. The forum can also convert your links into a Soundcloud player through the [soundcloud] BBCode from the text editor (orange square with a white cloud in it)

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (usually not available if genre is "Free to Select")
Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Results of the Songwriting Competition: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Submissions until 24-11-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Sunday, 01st November 2020 to Tuesday, 24th November 2020 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-11-2020, 23:59 UTC+1/CET (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

SONGWRITING THEME: There is a Pogo on the dance floor
GENRE: Ska (Third-wave Ska / Punk)

Image Source: Pexels, photo by Lucas Allmann, released under Creative Commons CC0

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote:There has been an old request to maybe do a "Punk Rock" production, but there has also been a wish to do "Reggae / Dub". I don't know why, but at some point something got turned upside down in my head, and the one thing that came to mind that fuses both genres... is "Ska".

Well, November is usually also considered to be "Metal November" in the audio realm. And while both genres are not technically "Metal", that doesn't mean we can't have fun. I mean, we still talk electtric guitars, bass, drums, and a whole lot of brass! Also - with the currently still ongoing negativity in this world, I think we could see/hear a little bit more upbeat material.

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in the "Ska" genre

What I'd like to see/hear this month:
Basically, anything goes. As long as it grooves, has plenty of brass, and invites you to hit the dance floor. Although I'm technically thinking of more modern 2-Tone Ska and Third-wave Ska, which is faster in BPM (more upbeat, less laid-back) and has a more aggressive tone overall. Which route you go, is up to you - but if you're lost, maybe forcus on the 1990s and up (see some examples down below)

What I do not want to hear:
Well, Ska stated out as "Jamaican Ska". However, one can easily drift off into "Reggae" (think Bob Marley, Ronnie Davis, Bunny Waller, African Brothers, etc), or "Dub" (which is even more laid back, and utilizes the oldschool trippy endless tape delay effects that oten go into self oscillation). The rabbit hole is deep, if we talk "chill-out". Let's try to stay rebellous this month.

I'm curious to see see who can fill the dance floor... :smirk:

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
  • create a production fitting to the given theme, genre and general premise
  • you can use any tool that is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • IMPORTANT: if you use non-licensed material (as in: non royalty free material from sample CDs, etc), give full credit to the source material
  • do not go higher than -14LUFS ILk/-1dBTP in terms of perceived loudness (mastering). Music doesn't have to be squashed to bits in order to be impactful
  • for newcomers: no productions that have already been released outside of the time frame of the current Songwriting Competition (Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp, etc), no cover versions or remixes, no ripped acapella's
  • ADD-ON RULES:
    • <no add-on rules specified>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Songwriting Competition - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Songwriting Competition - Gossip and Discussion

If you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months:
Please consider supporting us

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

RECURRING LICENSE SPONSORSHIP:

Musiclab is kind enough to donate any 3 guitars of your choice to the winner (month exclusive for November 2020)
License will turn into NFR
More info on Musiclab: https://www.musiclab.com/

IK Multimedia is kind enough give away one license of MODO BASS to the winner
More info on IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Saurus2 to the winner (until further notice)
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

JRR Sounds is kind enough give away any-1 sound sets or sample set of winner's choice (exception: Bundles)
More info on JRR Sounds: https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, a license of Bioscape, or any two sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hollow Sun is kind to donate one license of "Music Laboratory Machines - The Suite I" to the winner
More info on Hollow Sun: http://www.hollowsun.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC039 November 2020 - Submissions until 24-11-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the (new) "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

There is also this interesting video by "Noisey", which is about 2 Tone Ska
Under The Influence: 2 Tone Ska (Youtube)

Music examples (selection, Youtube):

2 Tone Mix (a collection of variuous 2 Tone Ska productions)
Madness - One Step Beyond (1979)
Decibelios - Camaleon (1986)
No Doubt - Open the Gate (played live in 1994 already, release 1995 - they turned more towards "Punk" in 1995 with "Tragic Kingdom")
No Doubt - Oi To The World (1997, a "The Vandals" punk song covered in Ska/Punk Rock)
TOKYO SKA PARADISE ORCHESTRA - Pride Of Lions (2007)
KnatterTones - Hey You (2012, they were Song Providers for Mix Challenge 004 / September 2014 with "Big Sunglasses")
Melbourne Ska Orchestra - Third Time Lucky (2013, if you want to go more "big band")
I Know You Too Well.../ She Has a Girlfriend LIVE w/ Lindsay from Mighty Mongo (2012, Live Version from 2015)
Ska-P - No Lo Volveré a Hacer Más (2018)
Goldfinger - "Superman" (Quarantine Video) (2020)
Ska Tune Network - That's The Way I Like It... For Metal Harbor - Crush 40 (SKA Punk Cover) Ft. @J-MUSIC Ensemble (2020)

Please also check in with the following thread in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Free Tools, Samples and deals (collection thread)

Need Electric Guitar Samples/Instruments? I can highly recommend the following companies:
https://www.musiclab.com/ (30 day, non-feature limited demos!)
https://www.pettinhouse.com/ (needs Kontakt)
https://impactsoundworks.com/ (needs Kontakt, although certain sets are "Kontakt Player" compatible)

UPDATED: 28-OCT-2020 20:15 UTC+1 (sourcing content: a couple of hours)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Posted on 31st October 2020...

:arrow: I am happy to announce the following month exclusive sponsor for the Mix Challenge audio community:

MusicLab is kind enough to donate any 3 guitars of your choice to the winner (month exclusive for November 2020)
More info on MusicLab: https://www.musiclab.com/

Please take note, that the MusicLab guitars can be fully used for 30 days, in case you do not have and/or can play any guitar otherwise. Check out their outstanding new tutorials over on Youtube to quickly learn/understand the guitar engine (recommended watch are the following ones from 2020: Simulating Guitar Techniques with KeySwitch FXs, Arranging with MusicLab Guitars, Strumming Tutorial, but also the ones about "solo melodies" for "Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses" and "Harem Scarem - Outside Your Window")

A huge thank you goes to MusicLab for providing the licenses. :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

If you want to participate in the overhauled game mechanic, where you can ask for feedback and be able to edit your production, consider submitting your "drafts" or "release candidates" within the next 7 days. :phones:
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

From the general guidelines: “A good practice is to try to shoot between 3 and 7 minutes of run time (unless otherwise stated).”

Ska tunes often are rapid. If BPM is high, a couple of verses and choruses take less time than they usually do. BPM 120 divided by BPM 160 is equal to 75 %. 0.75 times 3.0 minutes is 2 minutes and 15 seconds. You haven't stated that the three minutes rule doesn't apply to to this month's competition, but maybe you should, Mr. Fox?

I think that the ideal length for the tune I'm working on would be something like 2 minutes and 30 seconds (plus/minus 10 seconds). I don't want to repeat and repeat – people might get bored. A ska tune is often rather straight forward and not too sophisticated.

P.S. Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules: if you use non-licensed material (no royalty free material from sample CDs, etc) ... I don't understand the 'no'.
gruskada

Post by gruskada »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 18:59 CET
I think that the ideal length for the tune I'm working on would be something like 2 minutes and 30 seconds (plus/minus 10 seconds). I don't want to repeat and repeat – people might get bored. A ska tune is often rather straight forward and not too sophisticated.
Looking at Spotify's "Essential Ska" playlist, about 1/3 of the songs there are under 3 minutes, with a bunch more just hitting over 3 minutes. I think we're ok if the songs are a bit shorter, though, as the rules just say it's a "good practice" to shoot for 3 to 7 minutes.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A Future in Noise wrote:
You haven't stated that the three minutes rule doesn't apply to to this month's competition, but maybe you should, Mr. Fox?
You've been bringing this topic up the second month in row now. There is really no need to declare anything. As gruskada mentioned, hitting in this ballpark is "good practice". If you're a bit shorter on time, then so be it - even though I can't confirm that a lot of Ska tracks are just 2:30min long (also see examples above.

The point is, you should create something in the first place.

A Future in Noise wrote:
P.S. Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules: if you use non-licensed material (no royalty free material from sample CDs, etc) ... I don't understand the 'no'.
I can slightly change that to "material that is not from sample CDs, etc and therefore not royalty free". But I thought that was made clear in this short sentence.

A friendly reminder for everyone:
Including today, 10 days left to submit your production
A Future in Noise

Post by A Future in Noise »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 05:01 CET
You've been bringing this topic up the second month in row now.
No.

Regarding royalty stuff, the information is still beyond comprehension to me. I thought you could never use royalty stuff, unless you pay royalty.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 07:31 CET
Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 05:01 CET
You've been bringing this topic up the second month in row now.
No.

Regarding royalty stuff, the information is still beyond comprehension to me. I thought you could never use royalty stuff, unless you pay royalty.
What Mister Fox meant is you should not "rip" or "use" audio or sample audio from tracks that you don't own legally. For example, if you sample audio from a commercial or copyrighted song, you can't use those sounds unless you somehow mangle them beyond recognition.

However, the samples, loops, vocals etc. you purchase from sites like Splice, Loopmasters etc. are royalty free and free to you use commercially in any stuff.
To be safe, only use audio which your have procured legally or have the full rights too, ie. either you are the original artist for those, or you have purchased them from sites like Splice which are royalty free or "Stock".
Did this clear it up for you?