2024-JUN-02 Info: Happy 10 Years Anniversary, everyone! Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 098 and Songwriting Competition 082.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC072 December 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC072 December 2020 - Submissions until 21-12-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by White Punk OD »

Manii wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 07:30 CET
Back to your mix, in my perspective I find the bass and drums too proheminent, leaving the other instruments in background and making the song more "easy" to listen to, which for me loses a bit the soul of the song. But that may actually be what the client was looking for! I think my mix is quite different and now that I listen to both, I wish I've made something in between haha!

Anyway, congrats for your job!
Thanks a lot for your thoughts, yeah I'm guilty of that, I have even a "Bass + Drums" bus, that occasionally might get its own exciter or multiband compressor (with punchy attack settings). So I can change the general feel of the song quickly, between the two described ways of expression.

This is different from the "Room" bus, that delivers the back plane, but also has the cymbals, as I see some question and answer game between the overhead sound (includes some upper mid-range pressure from all drums) and the darker back room / theater sound. So I create the balance between these, and then occationally boost them together, this changes the feeling/intensity/depth but does not disturb balances too much.
In the previous project, I threw the room mics of those many guitars into the room bus also.

* But also, with pushing the exciter a little bit more, and slamming it all into Vlad's machinery (2-band clipping and everything..), a lot of detail that you seek will return. -10 integrated seems the limit for what I did, which is a lot, so we can also loosen up if we want it softer and still be loud.
(Beware the sibilants, when you use clipping, they will be the first to distort and become harsh, next come cymbals, so - more deessing, and using the treble softener button that Vlad had created.)

With this experiment, I found out that I have to tame the bass fret sliding noise, because it came up at certain points and messed with the vocals.

This is what I do, additionally beyond using the monitoring level knob and the different listening devices, as told by Mr. Fox.
I do a test check, what would brickwalling do to it, Vlad's, or the Maximizer (many times sounds worse than the former), and it may tell me issues with my mix.
But it depends, and can't be generalized, I think this leads to the question if we have an established relationship with a couple of mastering engineers, and we know how they work, what they usually suggest to us, and what will happen to our mixes in their labs (and perhaps not in others).
This is part of the business process (or often would be), that will complete the circle, i.e. also the purpose must be defined here, about do we need a soft or a loud version, aggressive or night radio, album or TV etc. etc. including the vision of the artist themselves.

What I did, might belong to the genre of loud Latin and Spanish music played on the beach, not too audiophile, and it may still have a lot of critical lyrics, it depends on the owner of that place, and the regular guests. I saw a lot of that on Greek islands.
A myriad of anecdotal facts might play together, to make some song suddenly successful...
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC072 December 2020 - Submissions until 21-12-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by White Punk OD »

Another note on the "clean and controlled" versions. SDB_12 was mentioned.

Now this is really great, I'm not that good in that direction (and have no Gullfoss or iZotope spectral AI stuff), but be it "sour-graping", there are issues that I think are interesting to talk about.

It depends a lot on the recordings. To clean and to refine everything, to come close to a "Billie Eilish" production or what is the current famous standard of a sound, can end up with dullness and strange artifacts, if the path from the recording to the result is too long and winding.
So, what I think to hear in some mixes, is a little problem with the "tails", eg. from the snare. Some might call it "overprocessed". The issue may come from attempts to curb the hihat and cymbal bleedings, corrections that somehow have to kick in shortly after the attack of the snare. Now, iZotope are on the edge to create some separation here, and there are a lot of combined tricks to improve such a situation (but most producers would use samples anyway). This is an opportunity for the really experienced gurus to enter the class room.
These experiments are worthy, but deserve critical review, to push limits further.

( The song is about shouting out, so I hope I can get away.. ;) )

-----
About the ending of the song:
I like the solution offered by @Franz, it is very musical and concise.
What I did, was I prolonged the sound of the solo guitar with a little gimmick.

-----
news: our friend Ady (MC070) is on "Produce Like A Pro", I found the 40min interview on FaceBook.
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

news: our friend Ady (MC070) is on "Produce Like A Pro", I found the 40min interview on FaceBook.
Do you have a link for that?

Cheers!
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Thanks!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: The "Overview of Submissions" PDFs have been uploaded.
You can check them through the upper post. (post #103)

Apologies for the waiting time.

As mentioned in July 2020, this data sheet is used for giving an overview of all entries, and whether or not they are within given parameters (loudness, sampling rate, bitrate). Please take note that creating this is not a fully automated process. I am using Wavelab 10's "Batch Analysis" tool, but the layout and highlighting the issues, is time consuming. If you do not find yourself on this list, please let me know.

We have a disqualification rate of 22,67% for December 2020 (75 entries, 17 disqualifications, incl. 1 withdrawn entry, and 1 entry that could not be accessed until hours after the deadline).

In comparison to previous months:
November (31,15%, 61 entries, 19 disqualifications), October (33,70%, 92 entries, 31 disqualifications), September 2020 (32,60%, 46 entries, 15 disqualifications), August 2020 (28,57%, 35 entries, 10 disqualifications) and July 2020 (40,37%, 109 entries, 44 disqualifications).

:arrow: A commentary on this month's entries:

I am very pleased to see that the request to document your edit more, has such a wide appeal. There are a lot of things to be learned. This is what I'd love to see in follow up Mix(ing) Challenges. So please, keep at it.

But I am also sad to see some of our community regulars doing really careless mistakes.

@IbanezoO:
Not only did you overshot in terms of LUFS a bit, your also submitted in 44kHz, while the source material was 48kHz

@JohnK
I was really contemplating to disqualify you or not, but I've read your original post that mentioned "samples on snare", then somebody pointed out that this is not allowed according to the rules, and then you re-edited your post hours later. Since your mix was uploaded to dropbox (and that link doesn't change, neither could I see an upload date). I am sorry, but I have to be fair to everyone

@romaingarnier
Your track sadly dropped a bit too low in terms of loudness

@VasDim
Your track sadly slightly overshot in terms of loudness

@CeZar
Here, I've walked back and forth a couple of times. At first I wanted to disqualify you, then I decided not to, then I was unsure again. In the end, I opted to not exclude your entry, especially since your original mix didn't have any issues. But I did point out that you submitted an additional mix that was loudness normalized to -16LUFS. You even stating that this was "requested by the client". I did check all public posts by Javier... he only stated "must not exceed -16LUFS", we (the client and I, the host) never declared that this has to be on-the-dot exact. So please... in the future, double check that you not exceed known limits, and only provide one mix.

@canese
This is a double-ouch moment. Not only did you submit 2 minutes after the deadline (check the forum time), but your track also overshot ever so slightly (dBTP). You also submitted in 44kHz, while the source material was 48kHz.

@GB Real
Another slight ouch-moment. Not only did you merely upload a screenshot from your arranger view while rendering from ProTools (therefore there is no documentation), you also posted prior to the deadline to get your entry in, but your entry was not downloadable until way after the deadline. I am sorry, but I made clear in the Rule Book that everything (mix and documentation) should be available by the time the deadline has ended. I really can't make an exception here. Plus, your mix is really low in terms of signal strength.

I was actually about to straight up disqualify certain contestants for not providing any documentation. But those entries usually also had additional issues like: submitted an MP3 and to SoundCloud no less, a file that can't be associated with the forum user, loudness not within specs (we had several entries strongly exceeding -12LUFS yet again), etc.

Although I must say, that the majority of our new participants understood the rules really well and worked within these parameters.

So please... pay a little bit more attention to detail. Mistakes happen, they sting. But ignoring established rules is a no-no in my book. This is why this Statistics Sheet exists - to show you what went wrong, to also help the song provider that might not be as "skilled" to notice certain issues, and to create a fair playground for everyone.

I (re-)open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however. @javiramallo has already invested a lot of work behind the scenes and will post shortly.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

In the meantime, why not check out the sample collection thread for SWC041 / Community Scramble (January 2021)? The Deadline has been extended to 24-DEC-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

White Punk OD wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 05:41 CET
https://fb.watch/2xXjS7UBIC/
hopefully...
If FB doesn't work, I think this is the same clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WonBCxE25Fo
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Mister Fox, are you still working on the general overview? I can view only the listing of the unlucky.

----
How will "brickwalling" followed by volume reduction to specified LUFS be judged?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Sorry everyone, faux pas on my end. Apologies for the delay.
The filename for the link is slightly different than the filename on my HDD. It's fixed now.

White Punk OD wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 16:48 CET
How will "brickwalling" followed by volume reduction to specified LUFS be judged?
I don't know - this is up to our song provider, I guess. Remember, I only set the "ground rules", the final word has our "client".
But could you please give a possible example of MC072 so that I can take another closer look as well? That would be great.
javiramallo

Post by javiramallo »

Hello, good day to everyone .

First of all, thank you very much for the wonderful work you have done, I know that mixing a song like this is a difficult task.

Of course a big thank you to Mr. Fox for the commendable work he does every day.

I also hope that you have had the best December possible and that the new year that is coming will greatly improve the current one.

The truth is that I have really enjoyed listening to the nearly 80 mixes that have been presented. I have to say that it is a huge amount of work to listen to all the mixes and try to write a feedback of the sensations that one is having, but I have tried.

I am a bit of a musician and a lot of technician so I have not been able to avoid to some extent that my evaluations and listening are linked a little to the more technical and mixing part.

Regarding my method of judgment, I have to tell you that: given the characteristics of the rules, I have not seen it very necessary to deprive mixtures of a very natural treatment against an over-processed work.

I have greatly appreciated the feeling of naturalness obtained in the mixes.
During the listening and evaluation process, all the mixes were normalized to -23LUFS to have an equal sensation of loudness from each of them.

My work environment is a space well treated acoustically and with technical equipment that incorporates ATC monitoring and antelope audio interface.

Given that this judgment is based on personal tastes AND complemented with personal technical criteria, I would also advise not taking my words beyond that point since you have all done a great job and again I thank you.

Finally, and before going to the evaluations I must apologize for my level of English. For me it is hard to have had to do all these evaluations in a language that I do not control too much so I trust that you know how to understand that between Google Translate and I have done the best we could.

FEEDBACKs in the following post.
Last edited by javiramallo on Wed Dec 23, 2020 19:50 CET, edited 1 time in total.