2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC073 February 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
stefanos

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC073 February 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by stefanos »

lol my track was too hot to pass??ok... probably whoever decides that is not even engeneer.
stefanos

Post by stefanos »

just for the rest of you guys who really dont know how that thing works. Total dynamic range compression in this track was something like 6 dbs
To mix a song loud enough is not only about dynamic range.percieved loudness lvl is high enough because i know how to eq stuff for it.anyway i dont care about the competition, bat its totaly bonkers cheers to moderator..
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

elroms wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:38 CET

And overall what should I have done, set the peaks at -2.00 dB?
In this case, you shold turn the master fader down (don't worry, you can do this here). When you say "set the peaks", I assume that you put a limiter on the master bus. That was the problem. You don't need to control the peaks with a limiter in mixdown. This is a mastering job. But, if your mix have some over the top peaks, them you must find what causes it and fix it in the source. :tu:

Edit: By the numbers of your mix in the statistic sheets, if you had lowered your master fader by 2.5dB, you would stay within the rules.
elroms

Post by elroms »

Why by 2.5 db? If it was peaking at 0.70dB?
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

elroms wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 13:21 CET
Why by 2.5 db? If it was peaking at 0.70dB?
Your mix had these numbers:

-0.70 dB / -0.68 dB -15.3 LUFS

With -2.5 dB on the master fader, you would have the mixdown:

-3.2 dB / -3.18 dB -17.8 LUFS approx.

If you don't want to move the master fader, you can put a gain plugin there to use it in this case.
RoadieShow

Post by RoadieShow »

stefanos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:13 CET
lol my track was too hot to pass??ok... probably whoever decides that is not even engeneer.
According to the sheet your track was definitely too loud, both in overall integrated loudness and in true peak. The volume limits were very clearly posted in the rules. Achieving maximum volume is the job of the mastering engineer, we're here to focus on mixing and delivering files the way a client has requested them. In this case the client asked for 44.1kHz 24bit files with a maximum integrated loudness level of -16LUFS and a maximum true peak of -1dB. I suggest using an analyzer on your file for yourself to confirm. I use Adobe Audition for analyzing tracks, I recommend it highly.

Try not to get upset, this is all part of the learning process. Looking forward to your submission in next month's contest!
stefanos

Post by stefanos »

I am not in a learning procces of mixing, not in that level, i know exactly how loud was the track, true pick can be adjasted by the mastering engeneer lol bring that master down..
Anyway when we talck about loudness is not true pick is about overall dynamics and the dynamics was there, you need to know how to eq to make things "seem" loud and stand out bat that doesnt mean dynamics.
Really i am not pissed of about the dissqualify i am kind of disapoinrted by the way of thinking.And lastly a food for thought for novice mixers.
elroms

Post by elroms »

Your mix had these numbers:

-0.70 dB / -0.68 dB -15.3 LUFS

With -2.5 dB on the master fader, you would have the mixdown:

-3.2 dB / -3.18 dB -17.8 LUFS approx.

If you don't want to move the master fader, you can put a gain plugin there to use it in this case.
Again, just trying to understand... why would I want my mix to be at -3.2 dB / -3.18 dB -17.8 LUFS if the specs said the maximum authorized value was -1.0dB and -16.0 LUFS?

Anyways I'm trying no to get upset but this is very frustrating as I spent time on it as we all did, and I tried to respect the rules setting up my peaks at -1dB (which I don't think is a bad practice by the way if you keep enough dynamic range, it's the way I learned) so I just wish to know what should I do next time
RoadieShow

Post by RoadieShow »

stefanos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 14:52 CET
I am not in a learning procces of mixing, not in that level, i know exactly how loud was the track, true pick can be adjasted by the mastering engeneer lol bring that master down..
Anyway when we talck about loudness is not true pick is about overall dynamics and the dynamics was there, you need to know how to eq to make things "seem" loud and stand out bat that doesnt mean dynamics.
Really i am not pissed of about the dissqualify i am kind of disapoinrted by the way of thinking.And lastly a food for thought for novice mixers.
Sorry if I am not understanding you (there may be a language barrier) but we are not talking about perception here, we are discussing volume and loudness as measurable variables. Changes in perceived volume (like EQing things brighter and moving/enhancing the sub frequencies) don't drastically change the measurable loudness, that's what it's called 'perceived' volume. You think it's louder but it's actually not. We're talking about math, not imagination.

If a client asks for a file that falls within a specified range you need to deliver it in that range. You can't just say "they don't know what they are talking about, I know how loud it should be".
RoadieShow

Post by RoadieShow »

elroms wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:38 CET
Hello, I'd really like to understand why I got disqualified. If I insert the wav file in my DAW (Cakewalk) it shows that it peaks at -1.00 dB, while on your sheet it says -0.70dBTP, which is out of the range.

What tool do you do your measurements with? And overall what should I have done, set the peaks at -2.00 dB?
I like to analyze files with Adobe Audition. I'm sure there are some free alternatives out there that might do the job... maybe the MAnalyzer by Melda Production? Don't worry, we'll get this figured out before the next contest starts. Feel free to DM me if you need help finding an analyzer.