2024-JUN-02 Info: Happy 10 Years Anniversary, everyone! Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 098 and Songwriting Competition 082.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
EchoOread

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by EchoOread »

I get what you're saying, and I am not "obsessed" over numbers. I was just curious to see if anyone feels the same and their approach if they did. I have been asking the same question everywhere but to no avail. I don't suppose anyone gives a shit, and that everyone relies on their ears for their adjustments, and I have have no qualm about that. Maybe I have to find a way to contact Mr. Owensky for clarification :). It's just not cool for him to leave me hanging like that! And if I found it out, I'll run back here and share with you guys. It's either that or my home made bong with some awesome Cali buds that would knock your socks off. Speaking of which, I, er, have to go ;)
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

Baddo wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 04:15 CEST
Coiled_Ear wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 CEST
Please, mr. Topicstarter, don't abandon the Greates challenge on this site. Thank you in advance)
Not a chance Coiled Ear.

I am nearing completion of the reviews / critiques. It's a lot of entries but I have done my best to listen to each one without haste and with objectivity.

Almost done!
But it's nearly month has passed...I affraid that not all participants you choose from could will get into the Round 2 you know...
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I reached out to the "client". He'll respond ASAP.

Once the results are out and the Round 2 participants announced, I'll send out another newsletter. Does that sound like a suitable solution? :tu:
Baddo

Post by Baddo »

Ok guys, I have finished the critique/ review period. I'll begin writing my thoughts in post form and every thing should be ready by tomorrow morning.

Coiled Ear, I get what you are saying, hopefully everybody will be available.
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

Baddo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 03:48 CEST
Ok guys, I have finished the critique/ review period. I'll begin writing my thoughts in post form and every thing should be ready by tomorrow morning.

hello, what exactly tomorrow did you mean?
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

Coiled_Ear wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 17:05 CEST
Baddo wrote:

--Tomorrow is a just measure of time, and time is a man-made phenomenon with great elasticity. Time to him, the "client," I can now say with absolute certainty, is apparently more elastic than yours or mine. So his tomorrow, like the great wings of the mighty eagle, gliding on thermal, above the lowly mountain ranges that are us, may never come. And if it does, slithering ever slowly, inching its way in the great distance from afar, I am afraid that we, yes you and me and perhaps others, just have to...bear it! But in the mean time, let me borrow some of the words of Thomas to scream out to the "client" that we, or at least I, "do not go gentle into that good night". And we will "rage, rage, rage, and rage some more, against the dying light." Lastly, and in my most gentle voice, I will ask, "bro, what's going on? It looks like Coiled Ear is about to bust"
noogard

Post by noogard »

Coiled_Ear wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 17:05 CEST
Baddo wrote:

I think you can count. So there should have been week (7 days) for some feedback, but the client answered something just in 27 days, 27/7=3.8 days. When the client answered, it could have been early morning, or late night, so for any option, tomorrow is somewhen within 4 and 8 days... or at least should be :)

Sorry, I'm stupid engineer :lol:
JonasLasse

Post by JonasLasse »

EchoOread wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 03:59 CEST
I get what you're saying, and I am not "obsessed" over numbers. I was just curious to see if anyone feels the same and their approach if they did. I have been asking the same question everywhere but to no avail. I don't suppose anyone gives a shit, and that everyone relies on their ears for their adjustments, and I have have no qualm about that. Maybe I have to find a way to contact Mr. Owensky for clarification :). It's just not cool for him to leave me hanging like that! And if I found it out, I'll run back here and share with you guys. It's either that or my home made bong with some awesome Cali buds that would knock your socks off. Speaking of which, I, er, have to go ;)
Actually my point of view is this:

The time that is meant by the release time is actually the time it needs to bring up around 66% of the gain that was reduced. Correct me if i'm wrong. Knowing this, the feeling of groove is not matchable to the numbers. But if you really want hard facts, it depends on the lenght of the attack of the actual audio. When gainreduction longs for 200ms for example, you have to count from that point on. Hard to know. When you have 25ms of attack on the compressor and an audio with only 20 ms , it means the compressorunit just brought down the levels by 20/25 of the set gainreduction. And also the set time (25ms) means 66% of the possible reduction .. the complet reduction needs more time. Which depends on the style of compressor.. every one acts different.

Did that help you? Math is important, but in this case..
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

[/quote]

Actually my point of view is this:

The time that is meant by the release time is actually the time it needs to bring up around 66% of the gain that was reduced. Correct me if i'm wrong. Knowing this, the feeling of groove is not matchable to the numbers. But if you really want hard facts, it depends on the lenght of the attack of the actual audio. When gainreduction longs for 200ms for example, you have to count from that point on. Hard to know. When you have 25ms of attack on the compressor and an audio with only 20 ms , it means the compressorunit just brought down the levels by 20/25 of the set gainreduction. And also the set time (25ms) means 66% of the possible reduction .. the complet reduction needs more time. Which depends on the style of compressor.. every one acts different.

Did that help you? Math is important, but in this case..
[/quote]

I see what you mean. I actually didnt mean it to be a math-y thingy. All I wanted to know was: would the time of both the attack and release be counted together (adding) in order to have an audio (a snare, for example, is what I should have written) to be in time with the music?

In your example of a 25ms attack of an audio of 20ms (assuming you're saying that the entire length of the audio is 20ms, which may be a percussive sound, a snare, triangle, kick, etc, then the compressor is actually doing nothing since the length of the audio is only 20ms. If anything, the compressor is compressing whatever and 5ms late in the tail end of it. If it was a snare, or even a kick, the compressor is pushing down nothing, possibly the floor noise. Now even if you bring up the gain reduction up to 12dBs or high heaven, whichever you preferred, I am not sure there is anything to bring up except for the...floor noise! and your gain reduction would act like bringing up the fader.

And no, I dont think the release time is the time it needs to bring up 66% of the reduced gain. Or at least I never heard of such thing. This is the first time I hear it from you. As I understand, the release time is the time it takes for the compressor to let go once the audio is compressed. How you get the 66% and where it comes from, I have no idea, but I am opened to further explanation and/or discussion.

Let me try this example to see if it works:
Let's say that we are trying to compress a snare and release it in time of the music. The BPM=60 (easy to calculate, as you can see, I am not that math-y :)) and let's say that the snare is on the second and fourth beat (hat1, hat2 and snare, hat3, hat4 and snare; hat1, hat2 and snare, hat3, hat4 and snare, and so on throughout the song. Quite boring but it's just have to do).

And let's say that the whole snare sound is 500ms long (unrealistic but for sake of argument and for the love of god). Here we go, and according to a whole lot of people but not me, in order to have the comp release in time with music (which is 60bpm) and AVOID having the compressor still holding on pass the next snare hit, then it follows that IF I set the attack time approx 23ms then my release should be (according to me and my assistant engineer Ganja) 500-23=477 or shorter (I'd do 470 just to make sure it lets go before the next one comes around).

Now if I set the release, say, 560ms, then the compressor will still have a good grip on the snare 60ms into the next one possibly crushing the front end of the snare and created all kind of nonsense and attack again somewhere in the middle of snare sound and keeps on doing that farther and farther as the song progresses. Does it make any sense to any of you? if it does not, then I strongly suggest that the discussion ends here since I have great doubt if we can have a meaningful discussion on this topic anymore. Thanks.

Note: words do have a way of fucking things up in ways we never intended. If you found any flaws or don't understand my example, may I suggest rolling up a joint and practice some forgiveness to me :) Thanks.
JonasLasse

Post by JonasLasse »

Heeeey.

Don't expect me to be rude because of this for all mankind most unimporant topic.

I find this to be very fine. http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Dynam ... essors.pdf