2024-JUN-02 Info: Happy 10 Years Anniversary, everyone! Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 098 and Songwriting Competition 082.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Submissions until 24-JUN-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today.

To make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links (final version), or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Please also don't forget to make your files accessible. Thank you.

If I didn't miscount, we have 07 amazing entries so far. :headphones:
We need at least 9 for a full podium, and 15 for a possible expansion.
Mellow Browne

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Submissions until 24-JUN-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hey there,

The picture looks pretty much like the Black Forest region, from where you can see the borders of Switzerland and France.
I remember the excitement I got as a kid when me and my fam would go to vacation, taking the plane from Basel Airport.
This cloud will take me from the Black Forest directly to Ibiza.
This is some Cafe Del Mar/ House style music and I really enjoyed the process. I hope this can bring some good vibes!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VNG97y ... sp=sharing
► Show Spoiler
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Submissions until 24-JUN-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

APi_ZZ wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 23:38 CEST
For this challenge I chose to go the cheapest way possible (OK, there may be even cheaper ones ...). I engaged UDIO.

► Show Spoiler
I am not sure if i understand this correctly, but did you let AI create your music?
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 15:44 CEST
A happy tune. It has a good sunny vibe. What i noticed is that the drum is driving this song, i really like the drum part. For that reason i personally would allow the drum sound to shine a bit more...let some of the transients through with compression technique...or just a little extra volume and some high freq boost.
Thanks for your comments.
I've made some changes to give the drum a bit more punch.
I have updated my original post
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 15:29 CEST
JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 15:44 CEST
A happy tune. It has a good sunny vibe. What i noticed is that the drum is driving this song, i really like the drum part. For that reason i personally would allow the drum sound to shine a bit more...let some of the transients through with compression technique...or just a little extra volume and some high freq boost.
Thanks for your comments.
I've made some changes to give the drum a bit more punch.
I have updated my original post
Wow, personally I think this is much better. It lifts the whole song.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

phpBB [media]

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-pc3ys ... sp=sharing
FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GYUva4 ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qYZB2B ... sp=sharing

The summer vacation is a very special period when you think you have enough time to make music, but there are so many cool things getting in the way. At least I managed to make a song that fits my current state of mind and body and also fits the month's topic (though I found a more interesting image I think).

Instruments and techniques:

1. The "Dexed" synthesizer is used as a main instrument:
- The bass sound with long sustain and spring reverb;
- The e-piano sound layered with bell-like patch playing in the first half of the song;
- The synth strings with chorus. The plucked stab layer added in the second half is using the same notes;
- The "natural soundscape" made with two instances layered together.
2. The "vocal" sounds made with SampleScience "Vaporwaves" rompler. Two patches used: one for the low harmony and the second for the high arpeggio.
3. The lead guitar is MusicLab's "RealLPC". The effects chain consists of overdrive, chorus, spring reverb, the Marshall amp emulation and a tape echo (Outer Space), a typical 80's sound.
4. The drums are samples from the Oberheim DMX drum machine.
5. The sound of the ocean waves added on top of it (from a free sample library).
6. All tracks processed with cassette tape emulation from Wavesfactory.

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

Hi everyone

This one's down to the wire again, simply for lack of time once more this month. I had been working on a "summer-nights" Synthwave-style track but it became apparent over the weekend it was nowhere near going to be finished in time for today's deadline, so I had a re-think.

So, basically this month I've been putting nearly all my time into creating a really lovely garden at the front of my house, turfing and treating the lawn, sculpting the border and planting all sorts of flowers and shrubs. It's been a labour of love but it's all because I've always dreamed of having a beautiful garden to look upon when I open the blinds on a morning and seeing it glow in the sun on an summers evening. It seems to draw parallels with this month's "Summer Dreams" theme, so today I started from scratch on a little piano-based piece inspired by it all. I've called it "Sunset in the Garden".

As a side note, I've also been learning to play the Saxophone recently and decided to have a go recording some simple notes and phrases for the track.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NZ-ouo ... sp=sharing
► Show Spoiler
Best regards,

Benji
AuderMarr

Post by AuderMarr »

I have mine here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ry4UMX ... sp=sharing

AuderMarr - "Lucid Sweltering Dreams"

EDIT: Since Mr. Fox has kindly conceded to allow me in, I'll give all the details for my entry!

The main target I had was to make the feelings the contest photo gives me break through: it makes me think of a mysterious, exotic ultra-dimensional place where the sun never sets, where you can fly through infinite carpets of hills and feast your eyes with the beauty of the scenery. And when you want to lay down, you can go back to your bed and let yourself envelope by a sensual drowsiness while a cloud above you give you shelter from the heat.

Like in a dream, I wanted the composition to have some unpredictable and unstable points, both in arrangement and melody. The centerpiece of the track, speaking of sounds, consists in the lead played by the free synth Audible Planets (Greg Recco) and accompanied by violins, cellos and woodwinds from Plogue's Sforzatron which makes for a sort of homage to the psychedelic sound of late 60's records.

I'm not satisfied with the result, alas. I decided to participate in this contest too late, and it shows: it's unfinished, unpolished and lacks of some other depth effects and transitions I wanted to add. Some volume automations are also a bit screwed up. If people see potential in it, though, I will re-work it and release (not professionally, that is) its complete version.

DAW: Reaper v. 7.16

VSTs: Greg Recco's Audible Planets, Plogue's Sforzatron, Garritan's Basic African Percussion, IK's MODO Drums, Matt Tytel's Helm, D10Labo's MSyn1mini, Surge XT, IK's MODO Bass 2, Full Bucket's Tricent mkIII, Martinic's Combo Model F

3rd PARTY EFFECTS: Dead Duck Software's Compressor, Kilohearts' Comb Filter-Filter-Compressor-Distortion-Resonator-Delay-Dual Delay, Voxengo's MSED, Mucoder's Hypercyclic, Polyverse's Wider, Stige T.'s Quadracom, Sanford Reverb, Softube's Tube Delay, TAL Reverb 4, Sonic Anomaly's Unlimited, Valhalla FreqEcho, Valhalla Supermassive
Last edited by AuderMarr on Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:50 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th June 2024, 00:15 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 11 submissions this month (6 entries more than last month, and also 0 entry more/less than June 2023)
  • We have 0 submission after the deadline (as of 25-JUN-2024 00:15 UTC+2/CEST -- I will consider @AuderMarr's entry to be a server hiccup)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been withdrawn (therefore it can't count to the overall participation)
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (special game mechanics do apply)
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow_right: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are accessible and downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 11 official participants. We are adapting the overhauled vote mechanic, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)
(Info: I am aware that the Rule Book has not been properly updated yet. Time constraints, apologies for the inconvenience)

Summarized:
 ! Bonus Info
  • Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 5 entries (tiered mechanic).
  • You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max), what you have learned, what you would like to do different in the future, etc. (personal growth)
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least five (number: 5) entries (tiered mechanic) -- things that stood out to you, providing some final thoughts and constructive feedback for possible improvements. This adds to the learning experience of our community. It is recommended that these entries are outside of your personal "top entry" voting.
  • Have the chance to get additional bonus points if you decide to invest the time to provide more constructive feedback than the requested minimum. It must be more than just "nice production, please keep up the good work" however. This is to boost more interaction and can balance out your overall points on the score sheet. (get 1 point if you give constructive feedback to 1-2 more participant, get 2 points if you give helpful feedback for everyone)
  • The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking. Please don't just collect feedback, and not give back to the community.
  • The overall "Bonus Point" mechanic still applies. Please update your posts with proper production documentation, most notably regarding whom you have collaborated with (as in: proper credits -- not doing so will result in a 2pt deduction on the score sheet at the end of the game). Please also make your entries downloadable, or provide an additional download link if not existing already. You got until the voting period has ended.
Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode (button on the WYSIWYG editor that features the orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it). Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

The staff (Mister Fox) will not give feedback to all entries and/or cast a vote this month.

(unless there is a tie that can not be broken otherwise)

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please make sure your files are accessible, and please have an eye on this thread! :tu:

EDIT: 25-JUN-2024 0:15 - initial post
EDIT: 25-JUN-2024 6:45 - some stats updated, decided to pull @AuderMarr's entry into the game still
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Monday, 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

Arelem wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 02:57 CEST
"Hands Up"

TrojakEW wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 21:02 CEST
"Summer Dreams"

KukoBass wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 20:52 CEST
"Summer Dreams"

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 16:36 CEST
"Somni D'Estiu"

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 22:34 CEST
"Follow The Sky"

WAV: DropBox playback and download
Miha wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:42 CEST
"PEACE"

WAV: GoogleDrive playback and download

:arrow_right: ADMIN INFO: entry on Soundcloud is set to private, "web player" can therefore not be used
APi_ZZ wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 23:38 CEST
"Golden Light"

Mellow Browne wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:31 CEST
"Black Forest Tropicana"

VCA-089 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 21:12 CEST
"Flamingo Sunset"

phpBB [media]

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
FLAC: Google Drive playback and download
MP3: Google Drive playback and download

:arrow_right: ADMIN INFO: I decided to showcase the "Bonus Video" this month. I might change this again with SWC083.
BenjiRage wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 22:14 CEST
"Sunset in the Garden"

AuderMarr wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 00:04 CEST
"Lucid Sweltering Dreams"

MP3: GoogleDrive playback and download

WITHDRAWN (not participating - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no withdrawn entries>

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow_right: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page or on Discord.

Post updated: 25-JUN-2024 7:20 UTC+2/CEST -- initial post