2024-AUG-02 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 099 and Songwriting Competition 084.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC098 June 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
zed999

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC098 June 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by zed999 »

Strange wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 13:10 CEST
I agree, but what‘s the intention?
Our spiral down towards an ever more separate lonely future devoid of natural community and even family relationships.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

We all have the benefit to study history, ideologies, positions, outcomes, and pictures that reflect that, from the multipolar huge diversity of sources and intellectual minds.
I think the antidote to such BORG life is to learn to be as authentic as possible, no matter through what world we have to walk, and then be ready to risk something for the sake of this authenticity, and for passing it on to the future generations.
Actually, I'm becoming aware that I have mixed a soundtrack to a SF movie, to support the first 3 minutes, introducing a very strong family walking through such a dystopian world full with vaults, dungeons and traps.
zed999

Post by zed999 »

As SF is spotting trends then projecting them to their inevitable conclusions, that's exactly what this song is. Rather than strong, I would say painfully aware of being trapped in a bleak dystopian future that offers no alternative to what has been arrived at as good for society as a whole, no doubt one small step at a time, each difficult to argue against without looking negative.

It's not even political, there is no plan, these things just happen and often with good intentions. An example in the UK is the fashion of prescribing preventative drugs to healthy people described as pre one thing or another. On the whole it saves the NHS treating those conditions, favourites being diabetes and heart attacks. Change of lifestyle would do the same, but the NHS cannot control that so GPs are given financially rewarding targets to get a % of age related patients on those drugs.
Strange

Post by Strange »

Yes we all have our experiences, our feelings, our intellectual approaches like the composer of our song. I cannot decide what’s right for you or the whole world. But I can think about it and reflect my kind of mixing. And maybe my mixing has my intention cause I know what I think, feel and learned. I don‘t want to discuss everyones meaning - especially my- in this forum. But I like to understand your mixes and your intellectual and emotional background behind your mixing decisions. Music and mixing music is a kind of communication and I try to understand the different kinds of communication. Maybe to become a better mixer :smile:
Thank you for your posts
zed999

Post by zed999 »

Strange wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 20:23 CEST
Yes we all have our experiences, our feelings, our intellectual approaches like the composer of our song. I cannot decide what’s right for you or the whole world. But I can think about it and reflect my kind of mixing. And maybe my mixing has my intention cause I know what I think, feel and learned. I don‘t want to discuss everyones meaning - especially my- in this forum. But I like to understand your mixes and your intellectual and emotional background behind your mixing decisions. Music and mixing music is a kind of communication and I try to understand the different kinds of communication. Maybe to become a better mixer :smile:
Sure, I was just offering a real world example of the the songs projected future for "health care" and how it just happens slowly by degrees in a kind of unstoppable flow causing the aware despondent reaction heard in this song.

Back to mixing now. :tu:
elements

Post by elements »

It’s good to discover that people are approaching the mixing process from a greater perspective than just a couple of db of eq here or there and a little bit of compression. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell from the mix notes that everyone leaves if anyone is feeling anything at all.
elements

Post by elements »

If I remember correctly there was mention made in the notes about the noise floor potentially being an issue. Did anyone have an issue with this? Personally, I found the bass at the end had a little issue with noisy bits at the end, but I just put an instance of Klevgrand’s Brusfri on it and all that noise went away nicely. Was this the only spot where it could have presented a problem?
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

elements wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:56 CEST
If I remember correctly there was mention made in the notes about the noise floor potentially being an issue. Did anyone have an issue with this? Personally, I found the bass at the end had a little issue with noisy bits at the end, but I just put an instance of Klevgrand’s Brusfri on it and all that noise went away nicely. Was this the only spot where it could have presented a problem?
I had no issues with the noise floor whatsoever. I am curious if i have missed something.
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 14:35 CEST
I had no issues with the noise floor whatsoever. I am curious if i have missed something.
Same, I can't say I had any issue with it at all
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

elements wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:56 CEST
there was something spuriously in a few tracks. the bass required some treatment for electric noises and string buzz. (the typical fretless thing when we boost the higher frequencies a bit).
lead vocal had a few digital clicks and some headphone bleed.
in general, I added a couple of declickers, noise gates (Ampeg plugins have some) and the DeEdger on some tracks.

I would beg the jury to point out when they have found noises in a mix that should be cured.