2024-JUN-02 Info: Happy 10 Years Anniversary, everyone! Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 098 and Songwriting Competition 082.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
A Future in Noise

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by A Future in Noise »

Continues:

I actually think it's vibrato I'm hearing, rather than tremolo (but when it comes to the guitars, I'm not sure at all). Is there a way to measure it, if it is vibrato, and in that case how much?

You mention tape emulated “wow” and “flutter” effects that are found in the MELLO-FI plugin.

Old tape recorders had the property that they did not always have the ability to run at exactly the same speed all the time. And this gave rise to, in Swedish: 'svaj'. Let's call it sway in English, I don't know what the correct term is.

Should this effect be removed? No, but I didn't say that, did I? Maybe you could reduce it from x% to y%?
M.P.3. wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 20:14 CEST
Also, I'd like some input on that, should the strings fade out a bit longer or louder than they already are? Because to me it sounds like a little too fast of a fade out.
The strings' fade out could definately be a little bit longer, but I'm afraid that the rules do not allow for this. So I'm afraid we'll have to leave them as is.
M.P.3. wrote:
Cellos are definitely deliberately louder in the 3rd verse to help the song flow better, I mean, not everything has to be the loudest the first time we hear it, maybe it can be louder the second time, and that way it'll sound like it's new again. But now that I listen back again to the 2nd version, the first time they come in, they're not even audible, to me at least.
You are absolutely right - not everything has to be the loudest the first time we hear it. And just how silent the cellos should be the first time they are played, it's up to you to decide!

Good luck!
M.P.3.

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 3 until 11-JUN-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by M.P.3. »

OK! Thank you once again for more advice. I'll try my best to impress heheh
Have a great rest of the weekend!
A Future in Noise

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by A Future in Noise »

M.P.3. wrote:
... but I think maybe the overall string volume could be a bit louder, I mean 0.5dB or 1dB louder ...
@M.P.3. My opinion: I don't think the strings should be raised in volume at all.
M.P.3.

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 3 until 11-JUN-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by M.P.3. »

Alright! Thanks!
SimaGT
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by SimaGT »

Hello again,

Thank you for feedback all is done right now. I'm embarrassed that it took me so long to set those backround vocals to sit in the mix. Now i've double checked everything before printing and it is probably fine, hopefully. I'm not big fan of automated panning in these kind of genres so the solution i brought in was to pan that bk vocal to the right and send it to delays which are panned left so the vocal is not strictly right. Some minor tweaks on volume and EQ of it and also the intro is not as loud as before.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2KSjG ... sp=sharing
juhu

Post by juhu »

Hi,

1) Enjoy my Round 3 revision: :phones:
http://tinkerstate.com/mix-challenge/MC ... uhu_R3.wav

2) Documentation (click on "Show" below to expand):
► Show Spoiler
3) Good luck to all Round 3 participants! :tu:
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

Hi Per

Damn I'm very sorry, I've noticed an issue with my R3 submission - when listening back again to it tonight it's apparent that the kick drum has unintentionally increased in volume.

I've been running some tests on my Pro Tools system this evening and it seems to be some kind of bug with this mix when it's rendered in "offline" mode, which is what I used to print the R3 version.

When bouncing in real time as I did with previous versions, there is no issue.

I'm really annoyed with myself for not spotting this on the pre-submission listen through last night.

Obviously my original R3 submission still stands in terms of the competition and judging, but given we've come so far with this challenge I feel it is only fair to you to post a correct version for completeness.

Please find this version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1twLcLc ... nvRl7/view

Best regards,

Benji
francobhalla

Post by francobhalla »

Hi Everyone, thank you again for selecting my mix for round 3 and allowing me to improve it one more time.

For this revision again I've followed the feedback given to me and tried fixing those things. Just a little bit of automation here and there.
My best wishes to all the fellow mixers.

Link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N6XoXE ... share_link

Regards
Franco Bhalla
O'MIX

Post by O'MIX »

Hello,
Thank you for retaining my work for the 3rd round, I have carefully read your comments which are sometimes a little contradictory but I know that it is not easy to make choices especially in the presence of many different proposals, that does not happen in real life, we don't ask 80 studios to make a mix, that's the goal of this competition and that's why it's so exciting...

What I have done:
I lowered and reworked the BD (less level and a little less pulse), the snare drum was raised, the drum bus was reworked for more cohesion between the elements, the bass guitar at less level, I reworked the sound of the lead vocals and the backing vocals to avoid the overlap of frequencies between the two, there was indeed a problem, it's much better and more natural now.

A small suggestion, I think it is important to make comparisons with quality commercial productions (normalized at equal level obviously, it is essential) which I constantly do with references that I know well, headphone monitoring is important but should not be used alone, very few headphones are truly flat, different software makes it possible to make them flatter and to simulate at a lower cost different acoustics of large renowned studios, if the acoustics of the room are not good or not corrected for example Acustica audio Sienna, Slate digital VSX and others...

I hope you like it, as far as I am concerned I am satisfied with my work and the final sound quality of the whole, the warmth, finesse, dynamics and details are there, it is only My opinion...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TQb8O4 ... sp=sharing

Greetings from Brussels,
Patrick
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 3 until 11-JUN-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 3.

So far, we have 5 out of 7 entries, with a bit more than 22 hours left on the clock.

There will be no deadline extensions! Please get your edit submitted today. Please also pay attention to detail still.