2024-SEP-01 Info: Every September, the Mix Challenge audio community brings awareness to the topic mental health. Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 085.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC098 June 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
zed999

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC098 June 2024 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by zed999 »

Drums missing? They were probably the loudest most prominent drums on any of the mixes! Whatever, thanks for the feedback.
shoma

Post by shoma »

Thank you for your feedback @Arnwyn!

Long reverb to low and drums a bit too much in front? Would have been an easy fix.
Anyways.. I had a lot of fun mixing this. :-)
Arnwyn
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Arnwyn »

zed999 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:53 CEST
Drums missing? They were probably the loudest most prominent drums on any of the mixes! Whatever, thanks for the feedback.
Hi!

The note about the drums was more that it sounded like there were some drum and cymbal hits missing, rather than the drums not being present in the mix. Did you remove any of the drum tracks or take out any beats? For example, the very first cymbal hit isn't there, but further along there is an extra cymbal. A similar thing happened at around 2:22 and there seems to be a drum missing there. It sounds like the drum tracks have been edited. We liked the tom sound though.
Thanks for taking the time to mix the track.
Arnwyn
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Arnwyn »

shoma wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2024 15:38 CEST
Thank you for your feedback @Arnwyn!

Long reverb to low and drums a bit too much in front? Would have been an easy fix.
Anyways.. I had a lot of fun mixing this. :-)
Hi!
We did like this mix and it was in our top 18... We had a very difficult task getting it down to 15! The delay/slapback on the vocal is really nice and the bass sound is good. We would like to hear more guitar in the mix. We decided in the end it was a little harsh compared to some of the others. Thanks for taking the time to work on it though and glad you enjoyed mixing this song.
Arnwyn
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Arnwyn »

pabloAT wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2024 06:47 CEST
Hi @Arnwyn, many thanks for the feedback!
viewtopic.php?p=17496#p17496:~:text=Wib ... ng%20sheep!! haha, I don't know what I was thinking about :-)
Cheers!
Haha, we will always remember this one, in a loving way! It made us chuckle having the electric robot sheep. Thank you for taking the time to work on the mix!!
quaint twang

Post by quaint twang »

I'm curious what your listening setup was for evaluation.
Thanks for the feedback.
zed999

Post by zed999 »

Arnwyn wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2024 18:36 CEST
zed999 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:53 CEST
Hi!

The note about the drums was more that it sounded like there were some drum and cymbal hits missing, rather than the drums not being present in the mix. Did you remove any of the drum tracks or take out any beats? For example, the very first cymbal hit isn't there, but further along there is an extra cymbal. A similar thing happened at around 2:22 and there seems to be a drum missing there. It sounds like the drum tracks have been edited. We liked the tom sound though.
Thanks for taking the time to mix the track.
And thank you for taking the time to comment and converse.
The last thing I did before I mixed down was move all the tracks to create a decent silence at each end - the cymbal somehow got left behind. Hopeless! I didn't notice because I'm rather HF deaf and that's also no doubt why you commented on the excessive HF on the vocal. I will get my son to listen in the future. Thanks again for being sports, it was a huge task for you.
Pingafuego

Post by Pingafuego »

Thanks @Arnwyn for feedback! Sorry for the harshness in the vocals!
PistolPete

Post by PistolPete »

Congrats to all competitors that are still in the running for this months challenge! Best of luck to all.

I really wanted to thank @Arnwyn and Dave for their very detailed perspective on how they approached the top 15. You really hit the nail on the head when you said "Normally we would be in the control room with you telling you what we want, so you need to know that we are aware of this."

This challenge is very tough for myself, as I don't play in a rockband or really any instruments for that matter. I mainly was in the rap/hiphop genre's for many many years. In hiphop and with a lot of less experienced artists, I played the role of a recording/mixing/mastering engineer where most artists I worked with really left it up to me to "craft" their sound. I pretty much was playing a pseudo producer role while mixing but having the artist there to provide input was vital to achieve the sound they perceived even if my ideas and methods crafted their vision.

Therfore, with that said, I really appreciate the detail from @Arnwyn and Dave in the "top 15 post" because it really shows me in detail what helped them reach their decisions, the important elements that a musician may notice but someone who doesn't really play instruments may skip over or not pay attention to being outside of the normal genre they prefer. This challenge we don't have much to go off of in terms of artist interaction, so really hearing from the mind of the "judge" of the contest in detail is valuable insight! Thank you! Thank you for your detailed review, and post!!! Many thanks! (I think most of my entries I have a tendency to go for my own vision instead of the artists which I know bites me in the butt a lot).

Also its really cool that even though you provided detailed input to the top 15, you are sharing your listening notes for all submissions. That is incredible!! I haven't seen my notes yet, but I know you have hard work listing critically to all the mix entries and so I definitely wait patiently, but also thankful you are offering notes on our mixes! Many thanks to providing a great song to mix this month and best of luck to all entries!
mix.altmsh

Post by mix.altmsh »

Thanks @Arnwyn for taking the time to provide your feedback.
::::::Mixing For Fun::::::