2024-JUL-01 Info: We're still celebrating our 10 Years Anniversary! Check out our current running games: Songwriting Competition 083.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everybody,

this month I had several tasks that were taking a lot of time and energy, so my songwriting time was very limited. That is why I experimented using multiple sample loops to speed up the process, but I'm not really happy with the outcome. I could not write a "B"-part because I didn't have the instruments used in the sample loops and the loops didn't have a "B"-part. A lot of time was used for "humanizing" the very straight loops. In hindsight, the time would be better used for composing more of a melody.
In the end, the song doesn't feel like it is really "mine" and I would not use so many loops in a future song again.

My feedback:
If you are new here: Don't take my feedback too seriously, I'm still learning writing, arranging and mixing myself.
► Show Spoiler

My Top 5:
Unfortunately, we can only choose 5 entries. So here are my - purely subjective - chosen 5 for this month.
► Show Spoiler
And last but not least, a big "Thank you" to Mr. Fox for organizing such a great competition.
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TrojakEW »

As every time I trying to make some noise, this time too I learn that there is too much I need to learn. What I also found that most people prefer kind of over reverbed sound. I on the other hand like more dry sound since I trying to reach intimate sound. We are have different taste so it kind of doesn't matter. Since we are doing music as hobby we do not need to listen to anyone. We can do exactly what we want to do and this is magic of music making as hobby. We are not selling anything and we are doing it because we like doing it. At least some of us.
---------------------------------------
Arelem - Hands Up
I like what you did with that glitch rhythm. It is interesting and even it repeats over and over it does not matter. It is nice and interesting. Vocal fit there nicely and you use AI as a tool in good way. What I do not like is beat. This is example of machine gun effect. Kick have same velocity and same amplitude and every hit sounds the same that make it "boring" especially with the same pattern played. Even when you switch off layering of that kick with that sub starting at 1:00 it doesn't do much change to the feel of the pattern. This broke the overall nice mood of the track and even with this interesting transition in the beat at 1:24 was not enough to make listening to this repeating pattern interesting. Also this piercing metallic snare does not help at all. Lifeless loop over and over kind of ruin the track. With different patterns and more human touch to this beat it can be really nice summer track. This means I think you hit the summer mood perfectly. Mix is not bad and and everything have it's own place. Kick and snare is dominant in the track but as I already write it is not interesting enough to drive the track. Repeating pattern or loop is not problem, but problem is to make simple loop interesting enough to make listener engaged.
---------------------
KukoBass - Summer Dreams
Nice mood and warm feel make it interesting and fitting for this round. Not sure what what of those are loops and what are instruments that played but I do not like that vibrating plucked synth lead that plays in I think three parts of the track. Very dry and it stick out of the mix too much. That epiano is bit better and that arp in back is nice. I like the best part that starts at 1:52 up to 2:24. Actually until that that plucked synth again. This is very nice calm part and if the whole track goes this way, in regards of mood and the atmosphere that is there, it will be very cool track. Beat pattern is not that bad but it feel bit overused without any breaks, changes to it. Simple variation in volume is not enough to make it more lively. Mix is not bad but not good either, There are some issues with phasing and mono compatibility and as I mention the puck synth for me stick out too much and I will personally liked that track far more without this instrument at all.
---------------------
EsteveCorbera - Somni d'Estiu
Intro part of track is nice and interesting. After a while piano part is become boring. It is used as main melody part and position upward in the mix confirm it but there is no melody there. It sound just random key noodling in selected scale. There is no purpose behind. It just play. The idea behind is good and the basic mood is set but it goes nowhere. Change at later starting at 2:08 does not help either. It sound more like another layer of piano played octave lower and it is more distracting. Overall instrument choice is good but the melody is missing. There is nothing that define the track and something that is easy to remember, something that goes to your head easily. Mix is not bad but not that good either. Intro is bit muffled and there the whole track is bit weak. It lack more umph. I will fir sure add almost 6DB around 60Hz, while suppressing some mid low around 300Hz maybe -3DB. I will also boost some mids from 2k up to 9kagain with about 3DB and again cut some high above 13kHz to balance it overall. Everything with dynamic not static EQ. You fit the the picture theme well but most problematic part as I mention is missing melody.
---------------------
JeroenZuiderwijk - Follow The Sky
Ttripple cheese in nice synth. I used it few time in one synth challenge. I like freebie zebrallete from u-he more. It is still simple but more versatile. Now I'm not expert in dnb but there are some things I would not do as you have done. They way you deign the beat feel almost like cutting beat loop and not creating those break yourself. It sound strange to me and it have that this stutter effect you have trying to make is uninteresting. I'm talking about loop starting ad 0:30 and for example the ending start at 2:36. It is almost you are not able to breath and you are suffocating. The whole mix feels not just weak but also muddy. That super saws starting at the 1:04 make it sound better but still most instruments sound you squeeze them too much. It almost feel like the track is played from cheap radio that is able to play frequencies above 600Hz. Also that synth pluck in intro sounds ear piercing and bit ovecompressed. No matter what the music style is used, it should have something that define the theme and it makes this track memorable. Same as Esteve I'm missing some definition here, melody. It is also same that your piano just play kind of random key in the scale. As you describe you are tried to go more for dark side of the summer using more aggressive dnb and there is no problem with that. It just I miss the theme here.
---------------------
Miha - PEACE
This is interesting composition you have here. It have nice structure and you have break it in different interesting parts. It have weird mood and I not sure if I will called this track peace since there are some interesting dissonances that are not very peace like. It is not issue and it makes it interesting and engage listener go back to part where it almost sound you are playing it in wrong key. Instead of violin section you used, I will rather go for solo violin to accompanies the piano. I like the idea behind the track but there is one huge issue. The mix and overall sound is very bad. Violins tear my ears apart. Piano needs some boost in low to fill the gap in low freq spectrum and to give the mix more power, but for the violins it needs more processing then simple EQ. There is need to tame those bad resonances that are very unpleasant. Later added instruments does not make it better and make the mix more cluttered even there is not much instruments playing. You need to position instruments bit better so they will not interfere with each other. SO yes I like the track but it was very very hard to listen because of very very bad mix.
---------------------
AP_ZZ - Golden Light
I'm not sure if I understand the reason behind this track. I'm doing music because I like the process of creating it and this is most common reason for somebody that are interesting in music and it is a hobby for them. It is not about final product but about the process of making something that make me feel alive and happy. What is your purpose with music? Why are you doing it? It really does not make any sense. I understand the reason for somebody that need to add some background music to video as example and this person don't know anything and don't care about music making so he use the AI to generate the track for himself to put it there. I not going to review this track. There is no reason comment on something that does not have purpose. There is only one bonus point point for you and that is fact you have confess that this is not your work but AI.
---------------------
MellowBrowne - Black Forest Tropicana
Simple laid back track. Simple but keep me interested even the theme and pattern does not change much. It is interesting that it is not boring. I have to try to make such thing myself. Not easy task to do. Good use of syncopation in rhythm. I only do not like the intro and you should start straight from 0:17 part of track. Also not like choice of hihat sound, but it is only my taste. Otherwise good work. Mix sound good and balanced and track fit very well to the theme.
---------------------
VCA-089 - Flamingo Sunset
I start right from the end. Nice track you have here and I enjoy it much. I like the composition and choice of instruments. Lead guitar in second half is very nice addition and it blends very well with all the other sounds even those from dexed. Very soothing track that really fits the theme. Now the mix itself, ehm well. I think for my biggest issue is the reverb and way you used it. It create very artificial space in track that does not sound good to my ears. That ducking in that occur in high frequencies in the reverb tails sound weird. I'm sure this dry reverb also caused phasing issue in your mix mostly in mid low spectrum around 150Hz up to 1.2kHz. It is also hard to judge the mix itself because if that reverb. Otherwise very good job.
---------------------
BenjiRage - Sunset in the Garden
Short, simple and beautiful. Proof that sometimes less is more. I can clearly imagine picture of the garden in my head. Gentle vocals with that saxophone works very well together. There is nothing more I can write here about composition and mood. You nailed it perfectly. What I can however comment on, is mix. Yes that reverb add nice touch to the mood and create almost dreamy atmosphere, but at the same time it create phasing cancelation on your sound. Correlation meter is truly our friend and we should check it not just on overall mix but also on instrument level to see if our effect chain did not break something. In your situation it did. Quiet clear issues incorporated (I think) by the reverb you applied across the whole frequency spectrum. But still I like this track most because of the mood, simplicity and the end effect on me while listening.
---------------------
AuderMarr - Lucid Sweltering Dreams
Track really tell us the story and it can be quite close to what you describe. There are nice changes and breaks in composition. It makes track interesting and kind of evolving. The mood is nice and while it can fit the theme I was waiting more for less disturbing experience. While it is not bad idea, it is that just we face such a weird situations almost everyday in our busy life. At least it is how it is for me. Everyday stress in job so some more calming track is more welcome. Still as interesting experiment it is good. Mix sound good and balanced but for me it is drowned in reverb. It is for me that it sound almost music is playing in my neighbor.
---------------------
Now the hardest part - voting. Thanks to the AI track it makes it tiny bit easier because I removed it from voting straight away without thinking. It will be not fair to the rest of people who are tried to do something by themselves.
► Show Spoiler
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Hello All,

I had fun making my entry this month. Like I said in my initial post, I learned that automation can sometimes benefit from a more manual approach however tedious it might be. I also had some fun with Audimee and seeing what that is capable of. It does a good job of converting the vocals but it does require a good product to go in; it isn't going to fix your mistakes for you.

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Vote
► Show Spoiler
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

I just wanted to say that I am super disappointed that so many people are so heavily considering how they feel a song matches the theme. Obviously there could be some extreme examples of where it's apparent that the prompt was not an influence, but beyond the extreme, it's not something that I really consider at all. Who am I to tell someone else that the prompt didn't inspire their track? Everyone is going to interpret things differently and I don't think that just because it isn't how I expected it, that it should be held against them. Obviously there were references like this to my track and others I've had in the past, but I've also seen it against others too. This month's challenge had a couple that I could say didn't fit the prompt in my opinion, but that's just a difference between how they and I see things. Everyone is free to judge how they like but it really feels bad to get dinged for a difference of interpretation rather than an issue with the product itself.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

Hi everyone

Thank you for all the feedback so far, some interesting points have been raised and have given me some food for thought for future compositions.

The simpler ideas this month seem to have been working well, which is a big takeaway for me - often I find myself trying to come up with big, thick pop productions where I over-tweak and obsess over the littlest details in the composition and mix, which not only saps away the hours but is very draining at the same time, so I'm really happy that the simpler song has worked for this one.

I'm also really glad that the saxophone has proved to be popular, I'm intending to keep up practice with this and hopefully my future songs will feature more of it.

Well done on all your entries too this month, it's been a lot of fun listening to them this weekend. Here's my feedback for everyone:
► Show Spoiler
This is a hard choice as pretty much everyone has made a great effort, so I've had to vote with some degree of consideration for personal taste. Apologies if I haven't voted for you, even though you deserve it.
► Show Spoiler
Best regards,

Benji
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Good night,

Thank you all for participating. It is a pleasure to enjoy such a variety of music.
As some other colleague comments, I too am here to have fun, to experience new things every month, and above all to learn. Learning from your feedback, learning by listening to your songs and imagining how I would make them.
I agree that I need more music theory but time is what it is and there are many other things in my life that occupy my time.
I also want to make a comment on the subject of structures. Not all topics have to have a conventional structure. I have spent most of my life listening to film music. I have a large collection of CDS in this genre. This type of music, by the mere fact of accompanying some images, does not have a conventional structure. Therefore, I live from this influence and I don't care too much about the structure part.

Thanks.

I leave you comments about your work:

Arelem - Hands_Up
Good production. Very powerful sound, as you are used to us. Good use of voices. I have to tell you that I do not master the style of your music at all, so I am not able to find anything to improve it.
As a comment, I find the music too aggressive for the image provided, but this is not a criticism, but the expression of different ways of thinking.

TrojakEW - SummerDreams
Good start, makes you stop what you're doing to pay attention to the music.
I like powerful orchestral percussion. The vocals sound great too. I also like the structure of the piece, very cinematic.
As a criticism I would only say that it looks like two pieces joined together, the part of the intro (long) and the part of the end. Perhaps more variation is needed in the flute arpeggios and the sound of the Xylophone (but this is very subjective).

KukoBass - SummerDreams_v4
Music that immediately transports you to the image this month. The percussion parts and the synth melody, the first time I heard them I found something wrong with them, but then when I read your intro comments for your theme I got it. This gives it a special life. Really good.
On a mixing level, I would maybe play a bit more with the reverb on some elements of the percussion. But this is a comment at the level of personal preferences.

JeroenZuiderwijk - FollowTheSky
I like the floating synth (like it's blowing air), it's a good idea. The rhythms you have put are not so much to my taste, which does not mean that they are bad, but that I do not like this type of music.
I like the position you give (reverberation) to the main synths, they make the sound warmer, nicer, more real.

Miha - PEACE
Good sentence: Short, like peace in this world!
Good composition. Your composition really sounds like a summer dream. Pity of the used ones. The strings are too artificial, too dry. Maybe using some other kind of instruments would improve things. I like the constant piano arpeggio on the piano, it gives it a classic touch. I also find the use of stereo panning in the final part questionable, I guess you did it so that all the melodies can be appreciated, but it creates a strange feeling.

APi ZZ - Golden Light
It really is a theme that ties in perfectly with the image of this month's challenge.
I don't know what to say... I haven't tried using AI tools at this level yet. As an experiment it works.
But things I would criticize (kindly) would be the piano melody, sometimes I find it detached from the song. Could you treat the vocals a bit more, maybe more reverb?

MellowBrowne - BlackForestTropicana
Summer dreams in Ibiza. Very chill out. Good atmosphere and good vibes. But few things happen, too repetitive, too long the same sound. Yes, good mix.
I like the final sound.

VCA-089 - FlamingoSunset
I was not very interested in your production this month. This comment is not intended to be derogatory, but rather that you tried something different from what you usually do and it didn't hook me. Matter of taste.
But it's a good production. Correct sounds that refer to the years 80-90. The Miami Vice series comes to mind, with DX7 sound (in this case Dexed). Very reverberant drums too.

BenjiRage - Sunset_in_the_Garden
The first time I heard your song the 4th chord sounded out of place. As the issue progresses, I no longer feel that way. I like the voice and the feeling of tranquility. What a beautiful garden you must have if this music inspires you. I like the piano composition. Well done !!

AuderMarr- LucidSwelteringDreams
Risky and innovative proposal. Difficult to classify. You have really managed to make something unpredictable and unstable, and very creative at the same time. Therefore, it is very difficult for me to be able to judge her. The mix needs work. It all sounds too screwed up.
But it catches my attention to hear your next works around here.

Thanks.

(translated with google, sorry for the imperfections that the translation may contain)
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by EsteveCorbera on Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:12 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 00:11 CEST
01 BenjiRage - Sunset_in_the_Garden
02 BenjiRage - Sunset_in_the_Garden
03 KukoBass - SummerDreams_v4
04 AuderMarr - LucidSwelteringDreams
05 Miha - PEACE
Wow thank you, Esteve for the love you've shown my song! But I don't know if the double vote there is a mistake? :wink:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC082 June 2024 - Voting until 01-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your feedback and cast your vote.

Please check post #029 regarding the feedback and voting mechanic. Giving feedback is mandatory (the only criteria to become disqualified). Please don't let yourself be put at a disadvantage by not participating (fully). The Songwriting Competition lives from the given feedback towards each other. Don't just "collect" and then move on - this is unfair to all other participants.

Outside feedback is welcome, of course.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

BenjiRage wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 00:33 CEST
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 00:11 CEST
01 BenjiRage - Sunset_in_the_Garden
02 BenjiRage - Sunset_in_the_Garden >>> TrojakEW - SummerDreams
03 KukoBass - SummerDreams_v4
04 AuderMarr - LucidSwelteringDreams
05 Miha - PEACE
Wow thank you, Esteve for the love you've shown my song! But I don't know if the double vote there is a mistake? :wink:
Sorry!!!
You're right, I liked your song!!!, but maybe not enough to vote it twice

I have corrected the votes in the original post
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

This month was another great opportunity to compose music in my favorite style and bring it to another level. Unfortunately, the whole month was covered in the fuss of getting a real instrument (the bass guitar) and all the equipment it needed. Learning to use something that you have seen only on the TV/Internet is a lot of pain (I was quite shocked by the size and weight of it), but it may give me more motivation and make me a better musician after all.

Also, I (finally) got a proper audio interface. The sound of it is drastically different from an integrated sound card of my laptop (as expected), so my judgement of mix and master quality of the entries would depend on it.

My feedback:
► Show Spoiler
Voting:
► Show Spoiler