2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Dr.Acula

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Dr.Acula »

thank you baddo for your contructive and detailed feedback. it helps a lot !
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Mix Round 2 until 31-07-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, Leonardo.

Let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Tuesday, 31-JUL-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 14 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)

Coiled Ear
Dr.Acula
Franz
Henrik Hjortnaes
inHim
Jarouse
Jonas Lasse
Leo Krechmer
LEONARDO 3
Mork
OctoOnFire
qhtrvw425
Rogro
Wizzo

Yes, that is 14 participants!
A thank you to everyone, and good luck for Round 2
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC044 June 2018 - Mix Round 2 until 31-07-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: I am happy to announce the following sponsor for the Mix Challenge (starting with Mix Challenge 44):

NOS Audio is kind enough give away one license of NOS Roomer of winner's choice
License will turn into NFR
More info on NOS Audio: http://www.nosaudio.com/

A huge thank you goes to NOS Audio for providing the licenses. :tu:
Baddo

Post by Baddo »

Dr.Acula wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 22:25 CEST
thank you baddo for your contructive and detailed feedback. it helps a lot !
You are welcome, I am glad I can help. Let's do the final stretch now!
Baddo

Post by Baddo »

ajm wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 21:19 CEST
Thanks for listening to and reviewing all those mixes, Baddo!

I feel slightly depressed I screwed up the solo section, seemed to pull down the whole mix, meh! Well, whatever, I learned a lot doing this mix so I’ll take this as a necessary lesson to get better in the long run :)

You are very welcome, and I am happy I can be of any service and help you in developing your skills. Thank you for taking the time to do the mix.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Baddo wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 04:00 CEST

octo on fire

Tight sound, great. There’s a little too much bass but it’s a cool sound anyway. Very nice snare. The speed section is burning, and the half-time section is awesome. The solo section sounds great, very nice mix.
Negative notes are there’s a tad too little lead guitar. And that is it. :)

All the sections flow seamlessly, very nice mix.

Thanks!!! I've headbanged way too much to this track lol

I am really happy to achieve a nice guitar sound that doesn't get tiring on the ear, that was one of my top objectives for this mix, because it's so damn easy to fall into that trap.
About the bass, listening and comparing to other mixes, I noticed right away that the mix was bass heavy... From your feedback, I understand that I should rebalance it, but without doing anything drastic, right?
About the lead guitar, do you mean that it should be a tad louder or maybe just make a bit more distinctive from the rhythm guitars?
Baddo

Post by Baddo »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 15:46 CEST
Baddo wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 04:00 CEST

octo on fire

Tight sound, great. There’s a little too much bass but it’s a cool sound anyway. Very nice snare. The speed section is burning, and the half-time section is awesome. The solo section sounds great, very nice mix.
Negative notes are there’s a tad too little lead guitar. And that is it. :)

All the sections flow seamlessly, very nice mix.

Thanks!!! I've headbanged way too much to this track lol

I am really happy to achieve a nice guitar sound that doesn't get tiring on the ear, that was one of my top objectives for this mix, because it's so damn easy to fall into that trap.
About the bass, listening and comparing to other mixes, I noticed right away that the mix was bass heavy... From your feedback, I understand that I should rebalance it, but without doing anything drastic, right?
About the lead guitar, do you mean that it should be a tad louder or maybe just make a bit more distinctive from the rhythm guitars?
Hi Octo, About the bass, yes, rebalance without drastically changing the tone of the bass, only enough to not make the track feel mushy. And about the lead guitar, probably a compromise between both ideas, if you make it more articulate and distinctive you can raise it up a little less.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hello everyone ! First of all thanks and congratulations to Badoo for his valuable comments that give a real meaning to the contest of "MixChallenges".

Actually his constructive remarks about my mix are true: I tried to apply them at best and I think the result is very good. In summary:
- "I am losing the snare though ...": excactly: I changed the sound of the snare drum and the bass drum for a more massive presence throughout the title
- "solo guitars": I changed everything: first the sound closer to the original and I integrated them into the rhythm rather than seeming to be outside
- "the last fade out was bad though": I like this chaotic end ...

For me this new mix has an incredible dynamic especially for this reason: except for some tracks (bass, bass drum, snare drum) I used NO compressor or LIMITER in the mixing: it's true and the sound is incomparable. Let's not forget that the goal is to achieve a MIXING and not a MASTERING.

Briefly technical side: all the tracks were imported in SAMPLITUDE PRO which is simply beautiful but very complexto use. All the tracks have been processed in before being exported on a HD 24 coupled to a console Tascam DM 4800 for the following reason : a very big dynamic and a very flexible automation (NO compressor NO limiter as say).

The interesting issue of this contest, for me, is to present ANOTHER MIX that is as close as possible to the SPIRIT of the initial mix without trying to imitate what would have no interest.

Send a mix on a full moon night with eclipse, you have to dare to do it (LOL)
Baddo

Post by Baddo »

Franz wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 23:50 CEST
Hello everyone ! First of all thanks and congratulations to Badoo for his valuable comments that give a real meaning to the contest of "MixChallenges".

Actually his constructive remarks about my mix are true: I tried to apply them at best and I think the result is very good. In summary:
- "I am losing the snare though ...": excactly: I changed the sound of the snare drum and the bass drum for a more massive presence throughout the title
- "solo guitars": I changed everything: first the sound closer to the original and I integrated them into the rhythm rather than seeming to be outside
- "the last fade out was bad though": I like this chaotic end ...

For me this new mix has an incredible dynamic especially for this reason: except for some tracks (bass, bass drum, snare drum) I used NO compressor or LIMITER in the mixing: it's true and the sound is incomparable. Let's not forget that the goal is to achieve a MIXING and not a MASTERING.

Briefly technical side: all the tracks were imported in SAMPLITUDE PRO which is simply beautiful but very complexto use. All the tracks have been processed in before being exported on a HD 24 coupled to a console Tascam DM 4800 for the following reason : a very big dynamic and a very flexible automation (NO compressor NO limiter as say).

The interesting issue of this contest, for me, is to present ANOTHER MIX that is as close as possible to the SPIRIT of the initial mix without trying to imitate what would have no interest.

Send a mix on a full moon night with eclipse, you have to dare to do it (LOL)
:) I worked with a DM 4800 in L.A. a couple of years ago, it's a very neat console, nice sound and very flexible routing. I didn't get too much into the EQ's though, it was being used to route 96 inputs from a slave machine and mix them with live tracks, and media tracks coming in from somewhere else. It really shined in the routing department, I think we were using all the optical cards. I arranged several stems to use outboard reverb and a way to get all of this back into the main computer in case it was needed...anyway.

I don't know if I am allowed to comment on your round 2 mix before the deadline so for the time being, a big thank you!!!!
BUT! I think you got the wrong idea about the fade, I like the ending, what I don't like is that the fade is neither short nor long, instead it is very obviously cutting the tale of the music. I like fades to sound natural, that is what I meant.

Re: the eclipse. This is the same eclipse that happened in June 1999, if you are inclined to think about cycles, think about the changes that came with that eclipse, where / how you were living (If you were actually living at that time) and the way things shaped themselves after that period.