2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
ltjost

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Submissions until 21-11-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by ltjost »

I set up the stems in REAPER and then set up output to an X32 mixer and then recorded via the 2-track stereo USB output on the x32.

I added plugins in REAPER for each stem to what I sort of wanted emphasized in each. I just ran the stems from the first to the last...skipping over the vocals to leave them to last so I could be sure they fit nice into the entire set of instruments. In a 2nd pass I adjusted them to sit in the mix by listening to them in context.

Mostly I used a small number of plugs, mostly exciters and a clipper and limiter.

Notable exceptions: For the Bass I also used some frequency specific proximity. I also wanted the High Hat to really cut through so added a Puig EQ to emphasize the desired frequency range. Percussion also used an EQ and the overheads EQ and proximity. The Toms used some deepening and EQ. Violin also added a tape emulator and reverb.

For Vocals I added tape and exciters and a limiter.

All of these things were sent to the X32 where I applied compression and EQ as needed as well as reverb through the Vintage Reverb and also some use of the Sound Maxer FX.

I automated volume for vocals in one spot in REAPER and made the Guitars fade at the end of the song to avoid noise.

That's about it, other than balancing levels and doing some panning to empty space and add depth.

Submission Link
alelachowski

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC060 November 2019 - Submissions until 21-11-2019 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by alelachowski »

Hi guys,

I am Alexandre, the producer of Eveline's song. I am listening the first mixes and untill now I am having a good impression with the results.

rxchad : I liked the way you worked in the mix. Sounds very clean for me, the only thing I think could be (in my taste) changed it's the delay in the lead vocal. I think it is sounding too loud. I like to use delays in vocals in this style of music, but I try to let it very soft, but, it's the only point I could make a consideration.
About the backings.... yes, I know.... terrible tune, I didn't have time to supply something better, but, I think it is sounding ok for me.

Nice job!
Last edited by alelachowski on Wed Nov 06, 2019 06:04 CET, edited 1 time in total.
alelachowski

Post by alelachowski »

just a correction...
the song is not sung in spanish, it is brazilian portuguese. In Brazil we don't speak spanish, it is portuguese ;)
Chriswilson83

Post by Chriswilson83 »

alelachowski wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 20:52 CET
Hi guys,

I am Alexandre, the producer of Eveline's song. I am listening the first mixes and untill now I am having a good impression with the results.

rxchad : I liked the way you worked in the mix. Sounds very clean for me, the only thing I think could be (in my taste) changed it's the delay in the lead vocal. I think it is sounding too loud. I like to use delays in vocals in this style of music, but I try to let it very soft, but, it's the only point I could make a consideration.
About the backings.... yes, I know.... terrible tune, I didn't have time to supply something better, but, I think it is sounding ok for me.

Nice job!
Welcome to the forum 🙂

I wouldn't provide any mix feedback until after first submission deadline as it gives an unfair advantage to either people who have yet to submit, or that cilent if they get into round two. Record it as you go but provide later 👍
paglia

Post by paglia »

Hi guys

I tried adding energy to the mix to respect the drummer's playing style. I would have liked to hear a real bass in the song.

Ask me if someone want a spec of plugins and hardware :)

Bests

Nico

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeq01jttt4gy3 ... o.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pexnfc2pb6s1l ... o.mp3?dl=0
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Chriswilson83 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 21:50 CET
Welcome to the forum 🙂

I wouldn't provide any mix feedback until after first submission deadline as it gives an unfair advantage to either people who have yet to submit, or that cilent if they get into round two. Record it as you go but provide later 👍
Aside from the fact that Alexandre is a community member since December 2018, and joined the Mix Challenge twice at this point, I agree. The submission is final. Requests for changes go to the top 10 entries (only) for Mix Round 2.

paglia wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 23:57 CET
Please check in with the Rules and Guidelines of the Mix Challenge again. Rudimentary documentation is mandatory, not a "on demand" type of deal.
alelachowski

Post by alelachowski »

My bad....
I am sorry, I am used to participate in another forums and sometimes I forget that in this case I need to be quite a little bit more about my comments.
I promiss I will keep just listening.... :grin:
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

Here's the mix!

-15.8 LUFS, 1.0 tpDB.

I aimed for something very mid-2000s, inspired by A Thousand Miles-type piano pop. I'm a fan of any song that brings back that sound and those memories.

Orchestral percussion was tough to include, but it's in there very quietly.

WAV:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lSZbT6 ... sp=sharing

MP3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-HmuBr ... sp=sharing

A ton of plugins, though less than last time.

Channel6 was on every channel, though if I make it to round 2

Airwindows: Channel6, Console6, Air,

Plugin Alliance Lindell 6x-500, Lindell 7x-500, Bx_subfilter, Vertigo VSM-3, Fieldler Audio Stage,

Waves: GW PianoCentric, Puigchild, API-2500, H-Delay, C4, C6, Doubler2

AnalogObsession: FETISH (weird name; great compressor)

Logic: AUREVERB2, Space Designer, ChannelEq

Auburn Sounds: Panagement2,

SoundToys: Decapitator,

iZotope: Ozone Imager, Spectral Shaper,

Bon Digital Labs The Wall,

U-HE Protoverb, Smack Attack

Flux StereoTool

Focusrite: Red 2 EQ, Red 2 Compressor
paglia

Post by paglia »

paglia wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 23:57 CET
Please check in with the Rules and Guidelines of the Mix Challenge again. Rudimentary documentation is mandatory, not a "on demand" type of deal.
[/quote]

Sorry, i really forget!

Well:

Kick: SSl Native channel
Snare: SSL Native channel
HH: Uad Neve 1073
Toms: Uad Neve 88Rs
OH: Uad Neve 88Rs
Drum Room: Uad Ocean Way
Drum Verb: Uad RMX16
Drum bus: UBK Fatso in parallel
Bass: Uad Ampeg B-15N - DBX 165A
Key's bus: Psp E27 - Uad reflection engine
Gt bus: Uad Neve 1073 - Uad Reflection engine
Backing Vox: Eventide Ulrachannel
Vox: FabFilter Pro Ds - Uad Neve 88 Rs
Vox Bus 1: Retro StaLevel
Vox Bus 2: Distressor
Vox Fx: Uad Korg sdd 3000 - Uad akg bx 20
Summing mixer Neve 5059
Two bus: Api 5500 - Manley VariMu
Limiter: Uad Sonnox Oxford Limiter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeq01jttt4gy3 ... o.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pexnfc2pb6s1l ... o.mp3?dl=0
Mo(mo)

Post by Mo(mo) »

I´m allergic to aggressive pianoplaying in intros so I took some time to tame it and give it a little more dynamic by switching between two different channels in turn. I also lowered the stereo width a little to give the whole thing space to grow.

Those lead vocals definitly have some minor issues. I edited some clicks in the first phrases and also pitch-shifted two or three notes. Then, i copy pasted one phrase from the second chorus to the first, as this one suffered from shifting-artifacts. I tried to get rid of this whistling kind of sibilance but in the end it took a whole array of deessers and dynamic eqs. Besides going on: some fattening from a parallel 1176 with rather extreme settings and I used this convolution delay (Objeq delay) by AAD for the first time…good stuff =D

The backing vocals where easy to handle. They sound roboty and i can’t change that so I just gave them heavy modulation for a cover up wich might sound quite old school but to me it does the job.

The guitars are denoised, moderately chorused (I think it fits the flavor) and I reduced the midrange on them and on the other instruments to make space for the vocals.

Nothing special on the drums and the bass. Just ordinary resonance-filters and standard compression.

WAV:
https://nextcloud.th-deg.de/s/peGw3rjMfPq69qs

MP3:
https://nextcloud.th-deg.de/s/dGBwDoiLa4bbMHD