2020-JAN-15 Info: Please join the current running poll regarding future Songwriting Competitions - read more

Poll: Songwriting Competition - limited tools challenges

Ask us a question, give feedback, make suggesions

Should there be more "limited tools" challenges for the Songwriting Competition?

Poll runs till Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:59 pm

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 7

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Poll: Songwriting Competition - limited tools challenges

Post by Mister Fox » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:03 am

Finding a suitable premise for the Songwriting Competition isn't always easy. However one of the many ideas that seem to come up ever so often, is a so called "limited tools" challenge.

Some of the Mix Challenge community members might know such games for example through the "One Synth Challenge" that is held on the KVR Audio community. Here, the main idea is to use only one specific synthesizer as main sound creation tool for every sound source (instruments and percussion), and then create a production out of it.

On the Mix Challenge forum, we did have the occasional "limited tools challenge" as well. For example, in one early Mix(ing) Challenge it was mandatory to incorporate a specific trance gate while mixing. In June 2019, SWC022's twist was to use an AI backed generation tool to start your production, and then build upon it. And finally, we have the recurring "Songwriting Competition - Community Scramble", where you're only allowed to use the community sourced sample content. However in this case, you are not forced to stick to certain tools or "one synth only", but you can still use whatever tool is at your disposal to create a song out of it. Which I think is the biggest appeal on this, as you can be way more flexible and creative.

As you can see, I really do not want to go the "One Synth Challenge" route with this. But considering the sheer amount of outstanding free samples and tools on the market at this point, I'm wondering if there would be an interest to spice up the game ever so often. By that I mean, that you're forced to include a certain synthesizer / sound set / sample package and/or effect plugin into your production.

The main idea here is to pull you out of your comfort zone a bit. Make you look beyond the borders. And maybe find the occasional new "toy" for your future productions.

Which leaves us with the main question of this simple poll, which I'd like to be answered until the 24th January 2020:

Would you be interested in this?
Should there be more "limited tools" challenges?

But please don't just click on "Yes" or "No" and then move on. Please also give feedback to your reasoning. I want to gather some more input here, build upon the ideas. The Songwriting Competition is all about "creating something in the first place". Help me (the staff) make future games interesting to you, and maybe even others that you'd love to forward this to.

Thank you for reading.

:idea: POLL INFO:
The poll will run until 24th January 2020 11:59pm GMT+1/CET. You can cast one vote. You are able change your vote until that deadline

shoma

Re: Poll: Songwriting Competition - limited tools challenges

Post by shoma » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:28 am

This is a good question! Looking back to my early beginnings, I was limited in having just two tape machines where I layed down some basics, like a drummachine and maybe a guitar or bass and after recording that playing it back to the other machine adding bass or a second guitar, next step play back again and adding vocals...overdubbing the old fashioned way :-D You had to be very conscious about what to play and what sound to use because there was no way in changing that afterwards. A few years later I got my first 4 track cassette...much better to work with, but still very limited. But I have to say, that some of my best songs were written back then. So...some limitation ist always a good choice . On the other hand..I don't think I want go back anymore, because working the old way was very time consuming and I don't have that much time anymore. But I think it would be quite challenging to limit yourself in other ways, like using certain tools only, a limited range of notes or a certain scale or whatever some others might come up with :-D

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:46 am

There are 12 days left to this poll. So far there have been 4 votes, but only 1 comment.

I'd really love to gather more feedback until the poll has ended. :thinking:

functionform

Post by functionform » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 am

Long story short, I enjoy most the genre exploration aspect of the mix challenge. I feel like it's unique. Limited tools contests are literally everywhere else.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Keep in mind, by "Limited Tools" I don't mean "use this one tool only.
The general idea is to add a bit of a twist to the game. To spark a different view on creativity compared to accessing a sheer endless set of tools.

For example: instead of going all-out with what you have at your disposal, you have to incorporate (for example) instrument A and then build upon with your plugin/sample/hardware arsenal. In case of the "Community Scramble" game, you can still use all of your synths and plugins - but the main sound sources are the community sourced samples. In case of the "AI enhanced composing" game (June 2019), you had to use a specific pattern creator, and then build your song from there.

That kind of limitation. Not "use synth A or sample set B for Kontakt only, and nothing else", that would be too limited IMO.

functionform

Post by functionform » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Well, that does sound better. I suppose its always open for discussion later as well. I just don't want the goals to become technical vs musical. More "Make a salsa track with these train horn samples" rather than "Use these train samples in whatever genre you wish" etc.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:56 pm

Again, the "Community Scramble" game is a bit of both. Think of other places (like KVR Audio's "One Synth Challenge"), but dialed to 11 and no limitation of what you're allowed to use. Else, yes it will be more like "make a salsa track with these train horn samples". :)

Changing your vote is possible (if you want), but I'm fine either way. I'm still collecting feedback.

fogle622

Post by fogle622 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:36 pm

I deleted my comment because I misread the poll question. I do not participate in the Songwriting Competition so I should not have responded in the first place. :oops:
Jim Fogle - fogle622 on the web
Cakewalk by Bandlab - Audacity
Band-in-a-Box & RealBand
All my effects are stock or free.

i3 Dell laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Clueless

Post by Clueless » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:49 pm

I believe that some months a limitation on things used, would be a good idea. This could vary, but its down to the individual, as I haven't really messed with samples for some time and discovering Fullbuckets modulair allows sample to be loaded is fun.
In the end limitations makes you have to think creatively :D

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm

fogle622 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:36 pm
I deleted my comment because I misread the poll question. I do not participate in the Songwriting Competition so I should not have responded in the first place. :oops:
Don't worry - I can see the vote results in more detail, I can subtract your vote. :tu:

Clueless wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:49 pm
I believe that some months a limitation on things used, would be a good idea. ...
So I take it that's a "yes" :smile: