2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC071 November 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Lastdegree

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC071 November 2020 - Submissions until 21-11-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Lastdegree »

Hello, here is my submission:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MdNZwG ... sp=sharing

A lot of filtering, compression and multiband compression.
Used only one bus with a delay before a reverb, compressed at the input and output of the reverb plugin.
Parallel compression directly on the master bus(so it compress the effects).
I wasn't sure how to mix the intersnare track.
Plugins used : mcompressor, mequalizer, msaturator, mcdsp AE600, eventide Ultrareverb, Dubstation, Izotope trash 2
dadomachado

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC071 November 2020 - Submissions until 21-11-2020 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by dadomachado »

Hi All,

Very challenging and fun song to mix.

I've used SSL Console 4000 E on all tracks for basic EQ and compression. Then I added some specific vintage processing on the busses to give it a vitage vibe. A lot of work on the vocals to make them sit on the mix. I sent the vocal to a slap (J37) and plates reverb.

I hope you like it and I look forward to some feedback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14NM6Ba ... sp=sharing

Cheers from Brazil !
dadomachado
satchboogie

Post by satchboogie »

Hello Everyone !
I really appreciate the work the admins put into making this community alive. Thank you for the opportunity to improve in mixing, thank you Patrick for your song and instructions.

My mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17YVHxr ... sp=sharing

Approach: All the elements in the song are interacting with each other both in rhythm and tone: this gives the drive. All tracks seemed to be panned already. I kept all in mid.
Drums: accent on Kick1, trying to give a rhythmic feel to the groove instead of pushing bass/snare
Bass: Hold - sidechain to Kick1; Arp – plays alongside with guitar
Pads: Fairchild compression (lat/vert) to push them a bit tot he sides
Motion synth: tried to recreate the reference sound but got lost in high frequencies
Sparkle: tried to use granular synthesis to recreate reference
Serum: distortion, ¼ delay to emphasize portamentos
Violins: compressed to vocals

mixer view : https://drive.google.com/file/d/17P0wCQ ... sp=sharing
jetwolf

Post by jetwolf »

Had a few hours to try a quick mix. Here is my entry.

Cutting it close, but If I missed the deadline, any feedback would still be appreciated.

I found the bass really a challenge to even out. I ended up creating some frequencies in higher ranges.

thanks for the music

Jetwolf

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zOZeX6 ... sp=sharing
Mark Andrews

Post by Mark Andrews »

oops!! As the PDF of disqualifications lists my file wasn't accessible. Hopefully is fixed https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_T0rLG ... sp=sharing

First time I've posted on this site!

EDIT - was bored and found this to mix with only hours left. Didn't really read any of the rules in depth. I mix with my ears and using the same monitor level every time. I believe the mix will be too high a level. Also went by my own time zone rather than Berlin, so about an hour after deadline.

Enjoyed mixing it and mostly happy with the mix. Would be great for some feedback even though I'm sure I'm disqualified. Have mastered the track and can give a link to that if anyone's interested.

I wanted to get that confused love song feeling - like the Human Leagues version of You've lost that loving feeling

Drums
Only a mix balance and gave the kicks some more bottom with bxboom. Oh, and a little reverb on snare 2.

Vocal
DMG essence as it had a paper like quality but I wanted to keep it bright. Added a little distortion to make it crisp and Eventide Blackhole for reverb

All other tracks were as is but I used a Dynaudio stageone to place them in the spatial field and various settings on the black box distortion plugin to bring out character I liked that was already present in the sound.

Strings
Have a narrow claustrophobic chamber on them from fabfilter

Mix buss has fabfilter deep ambience reverb at 20%, dynaudio one and slate tape machine to finish off
Last edited by Mark Andrews on Wed Nov 25, 2020 13:43 CET, edited 3 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC071 November 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd November 2020, 01:15 UTC+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

Another very warm welcome to all new participants and as usual, a huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge. Please help get the Songwriting Competition as popular (less than 3 days left).

STATISTICS:

:arrow: INFORMATION:

Until the end of 2020, I will provide a data sheet each month showing all entries and what values they have in terms of loudness (LUFS ILk), maximum signal strength (dBTP), if they are in the correct bitrate and sampling rate, if they were downloadable, etc. This data sheet is not an automated process. You can read about the whole process here

I will post separately once I have the data sheet prepared and uploaded (which will be linked to from this post you're reading right now).

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

:arrow: The Songwriting Competition 39 (SWC39) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th November 2020, 23:59 UTC+1/CET. The genre is "Ska" - interaction is highly encouraged.

Please spread the word!
satchboogie

Post by satchboogie »

Hey folks !

I was 1 minute late according to the deadline. :( I understand the rules. Lesson learned. All i ask is if anyone at any time could point out 1-2 major problem in my mix? The pic i posted shows my stereo bus processing.

Thank you for your time.

satch
Oba Ozai

Post by Oba Ozai »

Greetings, I had a lot of issues with phase correlation I could not fix. With all my tracks panned to center, it kept going to the red (-1 to 0) on the Bass Hold, Pads, Synths and even voice. I wonder how other fixed these issues. Not using any stereo expanders. Just looking at the plain tracks I see that on the correlation meter. Since the topic is new to me ii feel confused. Trying to fix that creates other issues for me. I use Cubase 11 now.
Last edited by Oba Ozai on Sun Nov 22, 2020 20:55 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Oba Ozai

Post by Oba Ozai »

Is why I messed my first mix. I tried to make all tracks mono, thinking I would end up with tracks that where mono (+1 ) but that messed up everything else, some sounds where lost completely, I did not noticed because I was not referencing. I noticed later after I hear some of the later tracks here. I seem to be loosing the center of the mix.

Here is my test with the Bass Hold track. I duplicated it and changed the phase 180 degrees and I still hear sound, does not that indicate out of phase ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ZeZA2 ... sp=sharing

Here I duplicated the bass hold track and panned hard each side, seems to fix correlation, yet sound does not cancel if phase is change https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dUw_gs ... sp=sharing