2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
alavault

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Submissions until 21-03-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by alavault »

Hello.
Mix : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGdK1j ... sp=sharing
Description :
  • Rhythmic Synth (Arps, groove, slicer, dark sun, umm)
    • Filtering on each channel
    • Autopan on mono tracks
    • On bus : multi-band comp into EQ. Sent to short verb, flanger and parallel comp 2
  • SFX : filters and sent to short verb, stereo delay and 1/8D delay
  • Lead synth (statement, monoment, lead keys + strings lead)
    • bussed and sent to short, plate and shimmer verb, stereo delay and 1/4 delay
    • on lead keys, parallel guitar amp.
  • Basses :
    • 5k on channels
    • bussed into mb comp, limiter, eq, sidechain comp
    • sent to parallel comp 1, short verb and flanger
  • Vox:
    • on channel : filtering into 1176
    • on bus : eq, de-esser, limiter
    • sent to 1/4 delay, slap, 1/2 delay, plate and short verb + vocal parallel comp + EQ
  • Misc synth (rhodes and pads):
    • limiter on rhodes, sent to stereo delay and slap, fx verb
    • bussed everybody and sent to fx verb and parallel comp 2
  • Drums :
    • Kick : dry, filtered a bit higher than the original
    • Snare + clap : saturation + eq + transient designer. Clap sent to 1/4 delay. Mix of short, medium and gated verb. Momentary chorus on snare.
    • Hats : saturation + EQ
    • Xtra : Attack synth and their friends. Processed as misc. percussions. Delay and autopan on "Attack" (I would have called it shaker)
  • Automation : yes
  • Parallel comp 1 : fast attack, fast release
  • Parallel comp 2: slow, fast
  • Vox Parallel : 1176 slow, fast
I think that's all I can say.
SonicShade

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Submissions until 21-03-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by SonicShade »

Hi,
here is my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5iPQV ... sp=sharing

I went mostly for clarity so I didn't use special fx or extraordinary processing like flanger or chorus and such.

Therefore I mostly used EQ to give everything the space it needed to sit nicely in the mix. Here and there I used the console preamp to overdrive / saturate the signal a bit. There is reverb on the drums which is automated to be dry-ish in the verse and more wet in the high energy sort of chorus parst. Some of the parts are level automated too so they stick out of the mix where needed and blend in better where something else should be in focus.

Synths and vocals run through an amada of reverbs and delays feeding each other to create a sense of space and more dimension. There is a subtle bus compressor on the mix bus which takes off 1-2db to glue everything together and a limiter at the very end to keep the snare from clipping over the mix while maintaining the excitement.

I hope you like the sound of my mix. It was a fun challenge ;-)
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Hiwatter wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 18:42 CET
Dang, that was fun, I love this song. I could probably tweak this one for another week, but I'm super happy with how it turned out and curious to hear the other mixes or to see what you think. (first time here, but did some back in the kvr days)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15aBdLD ... sp=sharing
I’ve just listened to your mix, has a good gel to it, seems to be at a level which may mean disqualification :(
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

alavault wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:50 CET
Hello.
Mix : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGdK1j ... sp=sharing
Love that one!
Hiwatter

Post by Hiwatter »

Clueless wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 09:17 CET
Hiwatter wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 18:42 CET
Dang, that was fun, I love this song. I could probably tweak this one for another week, but I'm super happy with how it turned out and curious to hear the other mixes or to see what you think. (first time here, but did some back in the kvr days)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15aBdLD ... sp=sharing
I’ve just listened to your mix, has a good gel to it, seems to be at a level which may mean disqualification :(
I wondered about that as I was listening to the others. I use a limiter while mixing and I backed it off considerably, but I needed what it did to the drums. No worries, I didn't expect to place, mostly just looking to compare my mixes in hopes of improving.
dadomachado

Post by dadomachado »

Hi All,

Here is my mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I4p1-0 ... sp=sharing

I decided to use mostly Slate stuff on this one. Went with VCC US A on all tracks. Most of the process was to find a nice balance with all these tracks.

Drums
Use mostly the VCC channel and a little EQ. Used the dry kick with a High Cut at around 65Hz then added a limiter to it (Waves L1)
Duplicated the Snare track for a paralel distortion with Devil-Loc. Sent the dry one to a room verb.

Bass
Used SideWidener on the Bass track to spread it out and a limiter on the Bass2. On the other bass tracks just VCC and some EQ

Keys
Mostly VCC and little EQ. Some tracks I sent to Room Reverb and Delay (Rhodes, Ummm Chorus and Keys)

FXs
Jus VCC and some small EQ moves.

Vocals
VCC on all channels. Added RVOX to the mains tracks to get them to stand out. Used a Plates reverb and delays for the dreamy vibe.

Master
VCC, light compression with FG-RED. Used an EQ to tame a little of the high end and used a mono maker (under 60hz)

I hope you like it and look forward for some comments.

Cheers from Brazil!
dadomachado
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your mix.

Please keep the official Rules and Guidelines in mind. Additionally - there has been a "Daylight Saving Time" switch for certain countries on our blue planet this weekend. Please have an eye on the Global Countdown (server based in Central Europe/UTC+1) so that you're not missing any deadlines.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Hi everyone,

The mix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/akmd1gusihqjh ... K.wav?dl=0

First, it's a very cool song. Love the analog feel about it.
It was a great challenge to mix, especially getting the right punsch in the kick the first half when drums comes in.

Drums:
The drums was good as is and the challenge get it right with the kick was competing with the sub. That was hard since I wanted to keep the low's for energy.
Added quite a lot in the low-mids, 80-100 for punch. Separated the entire drum track and filtered out from 80-110 and crunched that.
Then it was just adding top to the hihat for cut through.
Didn't compress the drums at all.

Bass:
Really cool bass in the entire track. Cut some low lows in the beginning but added around 80 back with rbass in general for all the bass. The sub bass, I just used the A800 tape for "fullness".
Used the sooth2 to sidechain some frequencies when synths was playing through the entire record to get it cut through.

Synths:
Mostly reverb. Used the UAD EMT 250 and UAD Lexicon 480 for all of them. Then it was just rcompressor through all of them to get it sit right.
Used soothe2 and sidechained but part when the amped guitar was playing.
Added a filter on 1 synth after first chorus (don't know if that is allowed?)

Vocals:
Used the dry stems. They had some really, really really annoying frequencies that I notched out. Other than that, just compression, EMT and Lexicon.

Edit: Raised the vocal EFX before chorus.
Last edited by JohnK on Thu Mar 18, 2021 17:55 CET, edited 2 times in total.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Mister Fox wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 17:14 CET
To things to point out:

1) Vocals are present
2) this is a mixing challenge, not a remixing challenge (read: no changes to the arrangement)
I noticed that now when downloading the stems. Thanks.