2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Los_ady

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Submissions until 21-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Los_ady »

@RuediRena Hey Ruedi, thank you for the detailed description!

Agreed, it was recorded in a professional studio but without any knowledge on how to record a HipHop/Funk track.

And that's the biggest issue that I face with Bands when I'm not hired for the recording as well:

They don't know the process on how to record the sound for the Genre and rely on the Recording Engineer but too often the Recording Engineer don't really, care what is pretty sad.

I believe that it's one of the side effects of not resting, when simple tasks and a bit involvement seems to be too much (And I'm guilty of this as well, for example when managing social media after a 12 hour day, it feels like rollin a stone up the hill to find the right hashtags to use - a 2 min. task :D)

So thank you for pointing this out, providing solutions & sharing this tips with the community, appreciated!
Los_ady

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Submissions until 21-07-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Los_ady »

@Patrick@1master yes there's a dropout, thanks for pointing this out! If it's not fitting, feel free to not add it to the production. AdLibs was a hot topic here in this production and what's not fitting had to be cut without questions.

I believe I added some crazy effect to it that added a reverb tail or dub delay, not more 100% sure, so the cut made sense.

But hearing it raw now, of course, it seems to be odd :)

Hope this helps!
Ronson79

Post by Ronson79 »

So for my second entry I took care of the rules. :grin: TP: -1,02 integrated LUFS -16,1 (measured with Izotope RX8)

Drums:

- Strip Silence Kick - repair 1 broken Kick - Aligned the kick to the OH with Soundradix Auto Align
sculpting the kick with transient shaping, eq and saturation
- n a real world scenario I would have triggered the kick and snare with additional samples to get a real Hip Hop feel out of it even though it´s live
Hip Hop.
- eq, comp, gate the snare with BX_SSL G and aligned them to each other and the OH
- panning OH, processing with BX_SSL G, eq matched the right from the left OH with Pro-Q3 and aligned it to the left OH because I preferred the
darker
tone of the left OH
- grouped OHs and processed them like it´s the main drum group. mono the bass with low cut sides only with Pro-Q3, Beatformer for further
processing and to get rid of some room
- checking the phase relationship of the drums again
- further tone and dynamic adjustments on group (AA Diamond Transient)

Bass:

- only used the DI track, saturation to bring out mids + RootOne to give them back some weight

Piano:

- eq, comp. reverb, 1/2 Delay, transient shaping to lenghten the release, correcting timing issues with some chords, panning + imaging

Rythm Guitar:

- eq, comp, panning + imaging, slap delay, exciter

Organ:

- eq, Leslie FX

Solo GTR:

- Tube Modulator for a different tone, movement and overall excitement, eq + comp, several reverbs and delays

Vocals:

- was going for a saturated lead vocal sound to give it more excitement, eq, comp, deessing, light tuning

Adlibs:

- bandpass, saturation, reverb, comp

Arabic Vocals:

- nothing fancy...level rides, panning, eq, comp, exciter, some Soundtoys Microshift, reverb, delay, deessing

Horns:

- processed mainly as a group, eq, comp, saturation, transient shaping for more excitement as it is a main element like vocals and solo guitar

General:

1176 all button mode in parallel on drums, vocals, fader rides on bass and drums, transition fx with automted delay from the rhythm guitar

2-bus:

- touch of Inflator for the color, touch of Gullfoss, light compression of the mids with DynOne V3, Pro-L2 catching little peaks here and there making
sure that I follow the given specs.

Download Link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SkOJK3 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Ronson79 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:36 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
SEEL Mixing Farm

Post by SEEL Mixing Farm »

Hello everyone, it was fun to mix this song and I thank the organization that gives us the opportunity to do all this.
The song was mixed in the box with Studio One 4, FabFilter, Plugin Alliance and Analog Obsession plugins. My idea when mixing was to produce a warm and modern sound and to do this I used Fab Filter Saturn 2 in various instances, including on the Mixbus; Reverbs, delays and other effects are used sparingly and filtered to avoid harshness and keep the piece round and warm. Clearly it is another concept than the original, it's quite simple and I hope you like it! thanks and good luck to all

Song Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KGuVd1 ... sp=sharing

Some screenshots:
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

Ronson79 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 16:49 CEST
So for my second entry I took care of the rules. :grin: TP: 1,02 integrated LUFS -16,1 (measured with Izotope RX8)

Drums:

- Strip Silence Kick - repair 1 broken Kick - Aligned the kick to the OH with Soundradix Auto Align
sculpting the kick with transient shaping, eq and saturation
- n a real world scenario I would have triggered the kick and snare with additional samples to get a real Hip Hop feel out of it even though it´s live
Hip Hop.
- eq, comp, gate the snare with BX_SSL G and aligned them to each other and the OH
- panning OH, processing with BX_SSL G, eq matched the right from the left OH with Pro-Q3 and aligned it to the left OH because I preferred the
darker
tone of the left OH
- grouped OHs and processed them like it´s the main drum group. mono the bass with low cut sides only with Pro-Q3, Beatformer for further
processing and to get rid of some room
- checking the phase relationship of the drums again
- further tone and dynamic adjustments on group (AA Diamond Transient)

Bass:

- only used the DI track, saturation to bring out mids + RootOne to give them back some weight

Piano:

- eq, comp. reverb, 1/2 Delay, transient shaping to lenghten the release, correcting timing issues with some chords, panning + imaging

Rythm Guitar:

- eq, comp, panning + imaging, slap delay, exciter

Organ:

- eq, Leslie FX

Solo GTR:

- Tube Modulator for a different tone, movement and overall excitement, eq + comp, several reverbs and delays

Vocals:

- was going for a saturated lead vocal sound to give it more excitement, eq, comp, deessing, light tuning

Adlibs:

- bandpass, saturation, reverb, comp

Arabic Vocals:

- nothing fancy...level rides, panning, eq, comp, exciter, some Soundtoys Microshift, reverb, delay, deessing

Horns:

- processed mainly as a group, eq, comp, saturation, transient shaping for more excitement as it is a main element like vocals and solo guitar

General:

1176 all button mode in parallel on drums, vocals, fader rides on bass and drums, transition fx with automted delay from the rhythm guitar

2-bus:

- touch of Inflator for the color, touch of Gullfoss, light compression of the mids with DynOne V3, Pro-L2 catching little peaks here and there making
sure that I follow the given specs.

Download Link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SkOJK3 ... sp=sharing
Make the link publicly available, we have to request access to access it at the moment.
Ronson79

Post by Ronson79 »

Oh, sorry ...I´m not that familiar with Google Drive and sharing links. Should work correct now. Thank you!
Analog4Lyfe

Post by Analog4Lyfe »

Hello, new to the community. I tried my hand on mixing this record. I've heard some awesome mixes done already but as a newbie to the craft I wanted to see what I could come up with.

Video Rocking Out:

phpBB [media]

My Mix:

The Song:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16sSkYC ... sp=sharing

Mix Setup:

Daw: Protools Ultimate 6.2021
Interface: Apollo X16, X8, X6 (2)
Clock: Antelope OCX HD

Riser: No Processing
Lead Guitar: Pro Q3, AudioScape 76 A
Solo Guitar: DIYRE Vintage Eq, Golden Age 3A
Bass: Golden Age 2A
Keys: ITB, SoundToys Crystalizer
Organs: ITB, H3000 band delays
Lead Vox: Nebula 4 Henry Olonga u87 preset, SCA 1272 Preamp, soothe (desser), Pro Q3, Black Lion Audio B172A
Lead Reverb: CXM 1978
Adlibs: SSL 9K Super Analogue Channel
Horns & Sax: AudioScape 2A, Acustica Audio Purple, UA 224 XL
Drums: Sound Skulptor TS500, Pro Q3, UA Pure Plate on Snare Top
OverHeads: SSL DYN 500, UA Pultec
Chorus: Great River Harrison EQ, Capi FC526 XFMR, UA 480L

Master Buss; Audio Scape Pultec, Heritage 609, Handsome Audio Zulu
Last edited by Analog4Lyfe on Thu Jul 15, 2021 13:26 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Van mixland

Post by Alex Van mixland »

Hello,

Here is my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xd4_b6 ... sp=sharing

Here is what i did:
Drums: I Used eq on every instrument, because for me it needed some changes. Kick- -15db at 300hz, +4db at 8k, 60hz +5db, Snare: I added highs and lows.
Bass: I added amp track to DI.
Vocal: I controlled vocal with compressor and add a little bit of high end and use hpf at 100hz. Reverb, delay, doubler.
Instruments: On solo gutiar i added delay and reverb. Also piano has long delay and a little bit reverb. Guitar has some stereo tool to get guitar a little bit wide.
On master bus: I used tape saturation type plugin.
cheers!
germano

Post by germano »

Hello

I use Reaper Daw ando some build-in pluguns.
Also use external plugins like:
- TR5 Black 76
- Neutron
- Neoverb
- Decapitator

Use a lot of reverb for this mix.

SideChains:
Kick - Bass to give space to the kick
Vocals - Instruments to give space to the vocals

Backvocals behind the Lead Vocals

The reverbs-delays-glue effect by sends.

Vocals need some cleaning.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ho1iGK ... sp=sharing

Thanks
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your mix.