2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by scottfitz »

Thanks so much Dirk,
my mix defo badly guilty of the mid/side unbalance and I'm so pleased you've alerted me to this issue as I didn't even know it was something I need to be attentive of. I know I've got holes in my game but I've never had this one pointed out to me, I think sometimes other mixers are quite guarded about their advantages and they probably know I'm falling into this mistake over and over, but let me fail. Huge thanks again, I kind of want to go back and listen to everything I've ever done and see this mistake duplicated everywhere but in reality I should sleep on this breakthrough.
Cheers
floodo

Post by floodo »

perdon que pregunte por aqui, renderize la mezcla a 32bit, estoy descalificado?

Google traslator
sorry for asking here, export the mix to 32bit, am I disqualified?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

Quickly answering two technical questions -- this will also cover similar topics/questions further down the line.
JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 08:17 CEST
am i understanding it correctly that the use of a wild card is something only the song provider can give you? Or do I need to activate that option myself somewhere (so that I still make a change of going to the next round)? and if so....where and how, that wasn't clear to me after reading the instructions.
floodo wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 03:36 CEST
perdon que pregunte por aqui, renderize la mezcla a 32bit, estoy descalificado?

Google traslator
sorry for asking here, export the mix to 32bit, am I disqualified?

The TL;DR is:

If you are listed as "tagged disqualified" (not "OUT"), you basically only did a "faux pas" (slip-up) that can still be addressed in a follow-up round. If you are being selected for Mix Round 2 by the Song Providers, you got two options.
  • The first option (if you still have a "Wild Card" left, every forum user has two), you can now decide to advance the game and fix your slight mishaps in the process, but you will loose out on a "Wild Card".
  • The second option, you can decline to advance going into the next round and will not loose out on one "Wild Card".
No other action from your side required.

Everything is explained in fine detail in Rules for participants of the Mix Challenge and Addendum: Statistic Sheet and Wild Card Mechanic. :educate:

To those forum users that struggle with English and access a translator on a regular basis, I can highly recommend to take a look at DeepL, which is also free, but a bit more fluent than Google Translate.

Got any more questions, please use the Mix Challenge - General Gossip thread.
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

hi to all mixers,
As a point of discussion I was wondering how important you all thought it was to consider the mood and lyrics of the music when going to mixing decisions? Until very recently I thought this was vital, but then I've listened to lots of remixes as I'm also a member of the metapop site and on there, frankly few people seem to care whatsoever about where the song began life and they want to just create something totally new and worry less about the details. Any thoughts from you will be useful to me.
Cheers all
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

scottfitz,
it is a regular recommendation, but I see it as one of many opportunities to make a song more successful and popular.
if you can harmonize the sound with the lyrics well, more people might like it.
but this is perhaps less important in a club (re)mix scene, that is all about dancing and mood, and the perception on song lyrics may be a lot different from, e.g. a Bob Dylan song, or a song by Pink, to make the statement a bit more principled.
then also, what is the source of compensation to the mixer? how does he or she get more jobs? this is very personal and a strong matter of communication with artists, producers, and the distribution. what do the people with the money who invest into the song, really want to do with it?
what yields you best positive attention in a mixing contest? this has two aspects: the song provider may give you a job, or someone else who lurks here, might get interested in your skills, but not mind the particular song at all.
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Thanks for this, that's a great response. My instinct with "Danser" was I thought it should be more sad, catering to my own artistic tastes. But later especially after hearing other versions of the track I started to question this. Is it best to make something pure and dedicated to the song, or is it best to make it a mix that is club friendly/commercial/attention grabbing. Its much more fun to be able to decide this yourself, but I sense that if I ever want work it's crucial to be able to deliver what someone else's decision dictates.
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

scottfitz wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 14:08 CEST
hi to all mixers,
As a point of discussion I was wondering how important you all thought it was to consider the mood and lyrics of the music when going to mixing decisions? Until very recently I thought this was vital, but then I've listened to lots of remixes as I'm also a member of the metapop site and on there, frankly few people seem to care whatsoever about where the song began life and they want to just create something totally new and worry less about the details. Any thoughts from you will be useful to me.
Cheers all
If I'm doing a mix I will try and enhance the emotion as much as possible. If I'm doing a remix I don't care about the emotion in the original track and I go where I want to instead.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
againstpower

Post by againstpower »

Hi,
i started working on the mix then due a work commitment i skip the challenge deadline. Nevertheless, can I submit the mix for user's community feedback?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Sure, why not? :phones:

There will probably no feedback by the Song Providers however.
Candide

Post by Candide »

Hi Dirk and all mixers,
Congratulations to all the mixers, I listen some great job and fun here, very interesting.
Just a question, I'm don't understand what's happening next ?
And I will be great to have a link with all mixes to listen. Just for fun. Sorry for my english too
Best
Candide