2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 14-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @Los_ady.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Wednesday, 14-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

As of this moment, that is 5 days (plus the hours since @Los_ady's announcement, and I've updated the post). All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail shortly.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 15 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order), with "wild-cards" being pointed out (if present this month).
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@andreybenassi
@Christoph Stoll
@Christoph_K
@dstra
@Franz
@JeroenZuiderwijk
@Mac So
@mixedbyadn
@Mork
@MrFlat
@O'MIX
@pabloAT
@Ronson79
@rvalle
@UHLS
 ! Bonus Info
Please read more about the "Wild Card" game mechanic here
Mix Challenge - Addendum: Statistic Sheet and Wild Card Mechanic

Info: No wild cards present for MC087 / August 2022

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=13360#p13360 (check the Google Document!)

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines (post #6) in mind regarding submitting your entry.
zed999

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 15-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by zed999 »

Thanks Ady for taking the trouble to critique the failures.
Los_ady

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 15-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Los_ady »

Hey @zed999 the word failures is very strong, we are all learning and growing with everything we do so please appreciate your courage to participate as only action and feedback brings you to the goal you want to reach.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 14-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

That's some very specific and extensive feedback, thank you very much for that! That must have been some work to do for all the mixes... really appreciate it. I'll understand your feedback and I'm happy to get the chance to make my mix better in round 2. Already working on taking the mix to the next level. I'll make it a hit ;-)
Good luck to all the people who made it to round 2. I am also curious about your new versions.
PistolPete

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 14-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by PistolPete »

Congrats to all that made it to the 2nd round!

Also huge thank you to @Los_ady for taking the time to give everyone a nice review with both strong and weak points! I really appreciate the feedback :) I had a lot of fun with this months song as there was a LOT going on instrumentally and it was quite a challenge fitting it all together without clashing. It was definitely awesome hearing how each engineer took the song and ran with it.

Big thank you to Mister Fox for hosting this mix contest. Definitely a lot of very talented ears in here and a tough competition which brings out the best in all of us! Fun song and mixes!

Thank you Ady and Mister Fox and best of luck to the 2nd round green guys and gals!
_StillBorn

Post by _StillBorn »

Thank you for your reply and congratz to the winners (so far?)
whats that cool whistle in the background
It's an automated EQ making a super narrow band on the bg vox - ended up sounding like a whistle :)
In the intro (00:50) I've automated an EQ into a narrow band creating a flute kind of sound on the vocals. Kind of suited the track and eased into the verse nicely.

In the break (03:24) I've automated the reverb, opening up into the break/build-up (and also going from mono -> stereo).
I have no idea what to do now - I am orange, so I need to adjust my mix accordingly before the 14th or am I out by now and it's the 15 you've mentioned that goes through or ....?
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

That's the right attitude, right there @JeroenZuiderwijk! Looking forward to it

@PistolPete You Rock, I really appreciate your feedback! :) Thank you for being again with us!

@_StillBorn Your Orange, means you were considered for the next round if I have no clear 15 winners, after re-listening all the oranges you didn't made it to the next round

Or in short: You're not in round 2, ignore only orange! ;)
mixedbyadn

Post by mixedbyadn »

mix challenge

Hi @Los_ady,

Thanks to the second round and your feedback, I was able to open the mix project and listen to it very carefully.

I have tried to make subtle frequency adjustments and improve reverbs, but above all I have dedicated myself to improve and extend the automation of volumes, panning and stereo amplitude.

For me now it has been a fantastic job:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/996l3qkeolbll ... 2.wav?dl=0

I really enjoy mixing good songs with professional people.

Thanks again for your feedback and advice.

Adrià.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi everyone, hi Ady,

I really appreciate that you chose my mix for the second round. I tried to follow your very explicit recommendations
as closely as possible. I have two PCs under window, one for the mixes and the other for my musical compositions.
The PC for the mixes crashed. It's dead. An evil for a good ? So I started all over again with the other computer which
has less plugins but different than the computer mix. In your general comment, you advised to concentrate on the balance
rather than over-processing the mix. You are more than right. So I've reviewed everything. With less processing you get a
more "natural" overall sound, especially since there are many acoustic instruments whose overall sound should be respected.

I hope you like this version...

Franz

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dR60ky ... sp=sharing
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Hey @mixedbyadn

Thank you for your kind message - important is that these are just suggestions based on my experiences/perception of sound and I can be also totally wrong, that's why I love when people go their own way and try out things that sound good to them, that's why your last sentence made me happy and that's why I love those mixing challenges - to learn from you all as well.

@Franz Better appreciate yourself for the good mix ;) Anyway sorry to hear that everything crashed, that's why I use Mac :P
Very curious to hear your new mix - I also had to do this couple of times, even with a client mix, s**t happens but always turns out good ;)