2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Voting until 01-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Arelem »

Not sure if I'll make the deadline but I'll get my feedback/vote in after work today. Was hoping to get it done this weekend but classes took longer than I would have liked.
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Voting until 01-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

Phew, made it in time! I left home the day after submitting my track knowing that I would not be returning until today so there has been a lot to catch up on this afternoon!

Things I have learned during this month’s competition:
This month I learned that I should be a little more disciplined in following the theme and genre for the month. Instead of using it as a start point from which to expand off at a tangent I should probably aim more towards meeting it as an endpoint instead!

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Voting
► Show Spoiler
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

This month I learned how to replace a faulty CPU cooler fan on my PC for just 15 minutes. It was kinda tedious, but now my CPU is ice cold. I also learned to properly use the chili sauce while cooking pasta, so other people could also eat it (not only me).

Jokes aside, I finally learned how to properly use the preset system in my DAW. It helped me to create a lot of (over 500) useful presets for Dexed while extracting the sounds from sysex files.

My feedback:
► Show Spoiler
Voting:
► Show Spoiler
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Good night,
This time I'm late!!!
Good job guys!!

I liked this month's proposal. I have always liked the synthwave sound and I have studied it a lot.
This month I learned how to use new sounds based on chips that were used in computer/video games from
beginnings It's always interesting to experiment with these sounds again.

Thanks.

I will give you some brief comments.

Arelem__Glass Alloy
Good presentation. Aggressive sounds within a risky theme, very powerful. good mix The percussion and bass sound may differ from the synthwave concept, but this may be a matter of taste.
I would have liked a little more variation. I really like the background sound that accompanies the whole theme and the more melodic sound of the synthesizer. Good job.

APi_ZZ__WynthSaved

Nice synthwave sound. I like this kind of sound. Maybe it lacks a bit of cohesion and variation. And the transitions need to be improved. Right mix.

KukoBass__Bit_by_Bit_v7
Nice production. I like the mix of synths and bass. The melody is very simple but I think it works in the idea of your song, but the notes are too short, you should lengthen the length of the note or add a longer release. Maybe it would have made the voices more moist.

TrojakEW__MoveForward
Good start, very promising. Good choice of sound elements. Brings back lots of 80's memories!!! Maybe it lacks a bit more reverb.

becsei_gyorgy__WeWillNeverGrowUp
As always a very high level of work. Good selection of sounds from the 80s.
The main gripe I've found with it is the initial side chain type pumping. For my taste too forced. But that feeling goes away as your subject progresses and things get better.
I like this sound that looks like voices, with the delay that gives it body. Good job.

Doc Jon__DeathByDegrees
Good work but the sounds seem a bit far from the Synthwave wake. Good rhythm and good percussion. I'm sorry but I can't comment on the lyrics because my level of English is too poor.

Chasey24_aka_Jerry_Payne__Getting_Chippy
Welcome to this challenge.
It looks like the beginning of a JMJarre concert and ends up being a video game soundtrack. I like synth sounds that seem to be creeping along and never stop. Battery power is low. I like the initial and final FX, it depends on what your subject wants to convey.

StoryGirlOz__ThankYouToTheWarriors
Welcome to this challenge, too bad you seem to be leaving the challenge.
Sometimes it's hard to give advice when you're still learning, as is my case.
I would say that, maybe it's just a personal feeling, but I find that the voices are not well integrated in the whole (BenjiRage explains it better in his comment). As the subject progresses, this feeling diminishes. The mix also needs to be improved.

FixInTheMix__Virus
Good start with this opening sound. I like the initial arpeggios, with delay that lengthens them. Good synthwave feeling. Little else to say, good job.

VCA-089__InevitableProgress
Good synthwave sound with a lot of reverb from that time. Nor could I say that it is necessary to improve. As always, very good level.

BenjiRage__Corneria_Capcom

Also cool 80's feel. Good use of sounds. Good vibes, nostalgia!!! Dude, you nailed it!! Maybe the melody could use a little more variation.

Koekepan__I_am_not_a_Cyborg
I like the melody, it immediately caught my attention. It brings back memories but now I couldn't tell you where. But I like the feeling it gives me.
Are there any moments where the rhythm and melody don't match well or is the pumping effect too pronounced?

Thanks.

(translated with google, sorry for the imperfections that the translation may contain)

► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Voting until 01-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd April 2024, 00:15 (UTC+2/CEST) - the Voting Period has officially ended.

Sadly, not all participants have submitted final feedback, we would therefore have 2 disqualifications.

Actually: @Arelem already announced that he might not make it in time, @StoryGirlOz opted to "withdraw" (sadly also from the community), and I might consider @EsteveCorbera's feedback to be "within the time frame" due to a server glitch (posted on 0:04).

I will send out another newsletter/message to those particular participants, give you until the end of Tuesday, 02-APR-2024 as per the rule book on the voting process ("overtime mechanic"). If there is a feedback and a vote by the participant in question, only -5 points will be deducted from the scoresheet. Else, sadly a disqualification.

Once I have this feedback as well, I will post the results within 2-3 days and take "late feedback" into consideration.
(this is not an automated process)

:arrow_right: The only disqualification criteria is by "not participating" with feedback at the end of the game.
Time constraints can happen -- but I do not consider entries to be "withdrawn" at this point. You unfortunately just didn't have the time.

Everyone else, please no more changes to your vote. Thank you.

Please don't just gather feedback, and don't give anything back. This is not what the Songwriting Competition is about. To those that kept their feedback brief, please consider at least adding just "a tad more".

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Hello All,

This month I learned a little more about the subgenres of synthwave. I am not a fan of the straightforward "80's inspired" genre, but some of the off-shoots I found really enjoyable. I'm a little disappointed that so many reviews seem to be as stringent as they were with their idea of what the parameters of the challenge were. I definitely pushed the boundaries of what might be considered synthwave or its relative subgenres, but I still think there was enough influence present in my track. Personally, unless an entry is way off-base, I try not to let my own interpretation of the challenge affect my judgment too much because we will all interpret things differently.

► Show Spoiler
Vote:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - results in preparation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd April 2024, 23:40 (UTC+1/CET) - the Voting Period extension has officially ended.

Everyone that is still in the game has sent in feedback and cast a vote. We only have 1 disqualification (because of user stepping away).

Please no more changes to your feedback from this point forward.
I will post the results within 2-3 workdays. (this is not an automated process)

Please have an eye on this thread :educate:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 078

:arrow_right: The winners podium consists of:
  1. @FixInTheMix (56 pts)
  2. @BenjiRage (55 pts)
  3. @VCA-089 (40 pts)

Apologies for the waiting time, this is not an automated process.

<4 participant rule is not in use (staff comments and votes, my vote would count as bonus)
We have 1 disqualification (due to lack of feedback / a final vote)
We have 0 withdrawn entries (but counts as submission within the deadline, yet couldn't be voted for)
We have several users still in the game that tied
  • The following ties on the chart happened due to various reasons
    • KukoBass has 1x2pts, 0x1pts, resulting in 2pts with the participation vote -- the participant has otherwise all bonus points (resulting in 14pts)
    • Koekepan has 0x2pts, 2x1pts, resulting in 2pts with the participation vote -- the participant has otherwise all bonus points, but has lower participation scores from votes overall (resulting in 14pts)
  • no (more) users that tied
"Sole (License) Winner" rule does not apply - 3-position Winners Podium (>= 9 participants prior to the deadline)

STATISTICS SHEET:
Overview of Submissions (PDF - updated: 02-APR-2024, full sheet)

! Bonus Info
Short info:
I am using Wavelab 10 for batch analysis, then I manually port the CSV export to a Microsoft Excel/Open Office Calc sheet with custom layout (this is not an automated process).

As pointed out in this post from SWC047 / July 2021, Wavelab has different tolerances for dBTP max analysis compared to tools like iZotope RX, Youlean Loudness Meter, NUGEN Audio VisLM, etc. To find a common ground, I've implemented "allowed tolerances" (just like with the Mix Challenge). These are based upon allowed offsets mentioned in the white papers for EBU R128 and ITU-R BS.1770-4. Since no measurement tool is the same, to be on the save side, please export at -14,1 LUFS ILk max, and -1,1 dBTP max.

As usual, I did list/analyze alternative releases (MP3s and FLAC). If you've submitted your entry in multiple file formats, the statistic sheet will focus on the uncompressed material first (WAV), then FLAC, then MP3. The higher the quality, the less possible loss on bonus points for "Loudness Specs" due to offsets introduced by a used CODEC. In this case, FLAC and MP3 are merely for information purposes.

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
INFORMATION:
As of January 2023, I am adapting the same voting mechanic as most other International Songwriting Competitions utilize. Nearly all of these games use(d) a 01 to 05 points system (top 5 entries) in some shape or form. The main difference to our game: these ones don't offer bonus points or penalty points, neither are they tiered (depending on the participant amount). I hope to get that properly sorted out in form of an extensive Rule Book update in the foreseeable future (serious apologies for the waiting time).

:arrow_right: Breaking up a tie:

There was no unbreakable tie that needed to be addressed. The ties were "sorted out" with the known fallback mechanics of the game.

:arrow_right: An explanation on the bonus points and penalty points:
  • I have addressed a -5pt penalty for @Arelem due to the fact, that the feedback arrived after the initial game's deadline (feedback arrived within the "overtime" mechanic). I am giving a warning to @EsteveCorbera to please keep an eye on the timer in future games. I consider this late post to be "a server glitch".
  • I unfortunately could not address the full 2pt bonus for additional feedback for @Arelem (misses one participant) and @APi_ZZ (only gave feedback to 7 participants)
  • Due to exceeding the loudness specs, the following users could not acquire all 4pts bonus -- @Arelem, mention]StoryGirlOz[/mention] and @Chasey24 (only exceeded the maximum signal strength of -1,00 dBTP)

I've listened to all entries, and enjoyed every entry for their own reasons - great work interpreting the brief, everyone. It clearly showed that you had fun this month. I am also happy with the participation amount and hope we can keep this for games to come - the more participants, the more feedback, the more to learn from each other. So please keep it up.

See you folks in the next game. :slight_smile:

:arrow_right: License selection:

We will now perform with the usual. Selecting of licenses is handled in public. Please select one license/company out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) please get in touch with me (via PM) with your full name, email address and your license selection.

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line (if there is a spot existing / not available for "sole winner" mechanic). Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner (within 5 days). Once one company has been selected, it's out of the pool for the next person on the podium.
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
As part of a new collaboration with Hornet Plugins, you are allowed to select either 2 plugins at a maximum value of 20 EUR MSRP for both, or one individual plugin of choice from the whole available plugin range (bundles are exempt).

Due to time constraints, I could not make a bigger announcement about this yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I re-open the field for talking some more about each others' productions. If things drift a bit too off-topic, please use the General Gossip thread, or Discord.

See you in in the next challenge!

Songwriting Competition 080 (April 2024) is still in full swing.

There are currently no (number: 00) entries. :educate:
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Winners announced

Post by TrojakEW »

Congrats all especially @FixInTheMix . You deserve to win in this round.
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Winners announced

Post by BenjiRage »

Thank you everyone for your invaluable feedback. I have to admit it was a little disheartening to be overlooked by Arelem (I don't know whether this was intentional, but I know you're not the biggest fan of the 80s sound! :lol:); nevertheless @FixInTheMix you are a very worthy winner and your submission was the better musical composition for sure so it is well deserved, congratulations! Congrats also to @VCA-089 for making the podium for your excellent composition. I feel honoured to be alongside you both.

I'll pass on choosing a plugin, it doesn't feel deserved somehow as I still feel like I need to do better. Honestly the feedback from you all has been so gratefully received, the positive points and love you've shown for the track have been a big boost to me this month, I really appreciate it. It's clear also that I need to learn to better develop my melodies, be less repetitive and try and reduce my song length so these are great points you've given me to take away and apply to the next one, thank you.

Hopefully see you all in the next challenge! :phones: