2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
zed999

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by zed999 »

MixedByDaVinci wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 22:39 CEST
Heres my mix hope i made it in time hope you enjoy.
i mixed on protools.
my mixbus has the god particle on it with the limiter off.
cant really go in depth because i did quite alot will say i used the lindell69 buss to give it a vintage sound but i still wanted it modern so like an hd mix of an old school song was my approach. <link removed>
also this is my 1st time here not even sure if i uploaded this correctly! let me know thanks.
Your link leads to a photo of an ID card.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
Link has been removed, as this depicted a government ID, and therefore private information.

All follow-up posts / quotes have the link removed as well. Due to the behavior of the forum, once an admin edited a post, users can not edit their posts anymore. Apologies for the inconvenience.
M.P.3.

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by M.P.3. »

MixedByDaVinci wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 22:39 CEST
Heres my mix hope i made it in time hope you enjoy.
i mixed on protools.
my mixbus has the god particle on it with the limiter off.
cant really go in depth because i did quite alot will say i used the lindell69 buss to give it a vintage sound but i still wanted it modern so like an hd mix of an old school song was my approach. <link removed>
also this is my 1st time here not even sure if i uploaded this correctly! let me know thanks.
Your link is to an image of a south african Identity Card document! Please correct this! Because nobody should have access to that information but you if it is your own ID card!

Link has been removed, as this depicted a government ID, and therefore private information.

All follow-up posts / quotes have the link removed as well. Due to the behavior of the forum, once an admin edited a post, users can not edit their posts anymore. Apologies for the inconvenience.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Hi all,

First of all my thanks to the songprovider Per Bellener and Mr Fox.

This is a very strong piece of music. I wanted my mix to bring out the energy and to respect all the beautifull layers of the arrangement. So first of all I made a mix with just the faders and some eq to feel what was needed and where the instruments where competing for space.

I think the bass has a really important part. I wanted it to be heard without overpowering the rest of the instruments. I used saturation to bring out some mid freq harmonics and I used low shelf filtering to reduce some sub. There is still lots of sub energy present in the mix but I feel it drives the song and isn’t in the way of the other instruments. A big part of the sound is coming from a Fender Bassman amp simulator. Because of the sub energy in the kick I used side chain compression triggered by the kick to make some space for the low end of the kick.

For the drum there is on the cymbals some high shelf filtering and a dip at 750Hz and a high pass filter at 154Hz. The High Hat has got an eq dip at 4.7Khz (-5dB) and an eq dip at 11Khz (-2,7dB).

The kick is using a blend of both provided tracks. There is parallel compression, a bass processor (Behringer 3040), tube coloration and some added harmonics. To keep it from sounding overhyped there is a low pass filter and a eq dip at 5Khz.

Snare: an eq dip at 150Hz and 1Khz and a hpf at 40Hz. Also a little compression.

Guitars, some EQ to tame some of the harshnes.

Keys: saturation and compression

Trumpets are going to a pitch / delay effect to give it more body and stereo spread. Some saturation so they are present even when the volume is not so high.

Strings: eq, and going to the vocal verb.

Vocals: I felt like the vocal should sound warm and full. With (in the chorus) lots of reverb without swamping the sound…..So I used sidechain ducking on the verb to keep the vocals up front. I used two reverbs, one PMC90 plate and one from Rob Papen (warm plate with lots of movement). I automated the effect sends throughout the song. There is also some satuaration a de-esser, optocompressor, going through an outboard eq for extra added warmth.

There is only a little bit of glue compression on the masterbus..(warm audio bus comp) I wanted to preserve the dynamics for this song.

I hope you enjoy my mix. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4drgqd4p ... vfgxw&dl=0

Cheers,

Jeroen
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A quick follow-up regarding @MixedByDaVinci's entry

The link to the entry has been removed, as this lead to / depicted a government ID, and therefore private information.

:arrow_right: Please post again with the actual mix entry in WAV form, and proper documentation.

I also edited all follow-up posts / quotes and removed that particular link as well. Due to the behavior of the forum, once an admin edited a post, users can not edit their posts anymore. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your mix.

So far, we have 64 entries (compared to 165 Mix Pack downloads).

If you've been sitting on your mix, now is the time to get everything sorted out, post both your link and documentation. Do not forget the deadline - try to prevent to post at the very last minute to not run into server issues. And please triple check that everything is in order (file format, signal strength, accessibility, filename template).

Please pay attention to detail. Do not put your entry at risk of being disqualified.
Your submission is final !

There will be no deadline extension!
DIVESPANNER

Post by DIVESPANNER »

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/aohie2to ... 61cwt&dl=0

Hi here's the link to my version of Get A Grip
Thanks again for the opportunity to mix another great song.
To start with I noticed a fault with my old headphones doing all sorts of random stuff losing frequencies lowering volume and generally playing up so I've got myself a new pair this is my first mix with them so trying to get used to them and how they translate.
So goodbye trusted old Presonus HD3 hello Adio Technice MTX40 nearly went with VSX but can't justify the expense.

I started with pre-mixing getting a balance, cleaning tracks a bit of manual D essing filtering adding very light tape saturation and some light compression with UAD LA2A to get something I was happy with then transposed all tracks to rendered audio to save my cpu.
I listened to a lot of the recommended tracks suggested to get a feel for the style to go for and to get used to new headphones.
I started with a less is more approach using some light eq and mainly saturation plugins at this stage I started to go down a rabbit hole of dynamic eq with BX Dyna 2 using sidechain eq cuts to get things to blend and stick out mainly trying to get the low end to sit nicely a lot of time was spent on this along with manually automating just about everything.
I then found myself stacking eq's using a lot to do very little then I had the same with compression I seemed to stack a couple doing very little with each.
I've spent a lot of time on the reverbs and delays hope they translate well.
I hope you enjoy the final production I really enjoyed this one and it's managed to magnified how much I still have to learn I would appreciate any sort of feedback from anyone who has any comments on my version would be very much appreciated many thanks to all again and enjoy.
floodo

Post by floodo »

First of all, thank you for allowing us to do this mix,

as I had no references I thought that the song was more or less in line with the balance used in folk, so I more or less started the mix that way.

Kick: I adjusted the volumes of the two kicks to taste and sent them to a bus which I applied EQ, saturation and put a limiter to control the highest peaks.
Snare: I raised it 12db hf with a ssl emulation, I also raised it 11db on 200, then I adjusted the punch with the same compressor of the channel strip, I put a limiter to control peaks and a pretty dark reverb to give it a little more weight.
The rest of the drums I didn't touch, but I equalized the drums bus, and I put a small quarter convolution reverb.
Bass: I tripled the bass, treated the 200 zone down on one side, the mids on the other and on the 3rd track I distorted it to the max, then I mixed the 3 signals, except on the channel that I applied distortion, the rest I EQ'd and compressed.
I took the piano as the main instrument, so I lowered all the others considerably in the 200 zone, which is more or less where I found the presence of the piano, beyond that I did nothing else,

my mix --> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Etkgya ... sp=sharing

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
alavault

Post by alavault »

Hello
Mix : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WV2G9n ... drive_link
This time, all tracks followed the same kind of processing : (corrective) EQ, compression, saturation, final EQ. I will only describe the "vibe" that I tried to get for the different elements:
Drums:
  • Kick: The main sample has all the lows and the alt has all the highs. It's "only" a matter of how much click would be necessary in the mix
  • Snare: here, the compression part is a series of an ssl channel strip, a 1176-like compressor and and a LA3A. Every compressor does little but together it makes things sound more solid and consistent.
  • Toms: Scooped a lot of 500-800 here (boxiness). The compression stage is just a limiter with a good amound of gain reduction (6-8dB).
  • Cymbals: nothing too unusual. Hunting resonances with the corrective EQ
  • "Space": since there are no room tracks and the drums are obviously sampled, recreating a sense of space is paramount. For that I used a room and a chamber. All tracks go to the room at unity, but not everybody goes to the chamber at unity. Especially the kicks...
Bass: Saturation is key here. Anything with harmonic saturation was thrown on the case: Neve, SSL, tubes... In a somewhat random order.
EGTR:
  • Clean : Reamped the DI with an emulation of a Mark series amp. Less FX for more clarity.
  • Solo: Reamped the DI with an emulation of a Mark series amp. Less FX for more clarity.
  • Parallel Distortion on Solo: by not putting too much gain on the main track, I was able to use a Tube Screamer FX to give some more agression while not attacking too much the overall clarity.
ACGTR: nothing much to tell about here.
Lead Vocals:
  • Series Saturation: the idea here is somewhat similar to the bass but more subtle. By adding subtle processors in series (tube like mostly like Vari-Mu compressor or preamp emulations) it's possible to build a nice base to play with. After that, 1176-LA2A for compression
  • FX: A room and a plate with predelay. The room gives the width, the plate, the depth.
BGV: similar to lead vocals, but no predelay on the reverb to push them at the back.
Wurly: similar to bass. Saturate everything.
Strings & Brass: Nothing more to add. A room reverb was inserted on the string section to give some...room impression.
elements

Post by elements »

Hi everyone.

Was passing by and heard the song and the voice and had to get involved.

Thanks to @A Future In Noise and @Mr Fox for the opportunity to mix this track.

Here is my mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/47j2pb7m ... evimg&dl=0

I mixed it in Logic Audio with an instance of Caelum Audio tape pro and a FabFilter C2 compressor on the mixbus.

I decided to let the song lead me to where I needed to be. Although there could be obvious sound cues to follow I just wanted it to be a song in it’s own right.
I figured that the Wurlitzer and the Vocals were the two key elements of the mix. So I made these the core foundation and built everything else around them. I noticed that if you kept the Wurlitzer up in the mix that the mix took on a lot more buoyancy in the melodic structure and movement overall so hence why it became the core of the song mix.

I used a Nembrini PSA1000 Jnr plugin to get a little grit out of the keys as well as a rotor cabinet blended in with the main sound. I wasn’t looking for width and movement as much as tone and presence so it would hold it’s own when the mix became busy.

With the guitars I went for a left and right pan throughout. In the chorus I put the sampled acoustic on the left and panned the electric to the right. I did leave the stereo electric fx in and back a little just to provide a little more depth for that sound. The only place this all changed was in the build up to the guitar solo where things went a little “Kate Bush” for a second or two.

Sandra’s vocals were obviously the main star of the show. I played around with a few balance levels and I think it’s in a good place now.
There was a bit of noise on there from some kind of earth hum and the noise of the mic preamp. I put a HPF on to take out the hum and added an instance of Klevgrand’s Brusfri to take out the noise. I ended up doing this to all the vocal tracks. I eq’d a little to tame the midrange a little and ran a little light compression which included a chain of Magic Death Eye and the Fabfilter multiband compressor. On the other vocal tracks I ran an instance of FabFilter C2 in vocal mode. I used a couple of reverbs for the vocals and a couple of different delays. A tape delay for emphasis at the end of a couple of phrases and a 1/8 stereo delay on the choruses to add a little bit of “more”. I chose to run the under track well and truely under and into a delay which I though created a nice atmosphere and worked on keeeping the wail vocal up as much as possible to give the energetic punch.

Essentially I wanted the musical parts to provide the support for the passion in the vocal.
I hope that you enjoy the mix and that I have managed to in someway to respect the intention of the creation.
Thanks for your time.
Last edited by elements on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:32 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
francobhalla

Post by francobhalla »

Hi,

This is my entry to the challenge.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11CqmkF ... share_link

I've tried to keep it as organic as possible with mostly just cleaning up things. My goal was to achieve a mix that suits this arrangement. Please let me know if I was able to translate it into something good.

I used Logic Pro X with stock plugins and 3rd party such as SSL Complete, FabFilter & Waves. I've attached a screenshot of my mixer window if anyone is curious.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17jp2Qz ... share_link

Regards & best wishes to fellow mixers.