2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
LughSenderson

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by LughSenderson »

Hello everybody.

In general, I did what I always do, eq and compression Bx SSL 9000J and 3 reverbs + 2 delays. But today I'm going to focus on vocals.

The vocal had an amount of bass that I didn't like and a certain harshness in the mid-highs that bothered me too. I resolved the issue by lowering it a little around 2Khz, placing the compressor after the equalizer and opting for a slower release.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xgtuEm ... sp=sharing
cpsmusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi All,

Quick question - should the "metronome clicks" at the start of each track be included in the final mix? Leaving them out will change the submitted song length.

Cheers!
VasDim

Post by VasDim »

Hi all,
this is my attempt to mix:

https://ln5.sync.com/dl/ed5474960/aknr2 ... c-6ia6ryp5

For all track are used:
- Waves Q10;
- Waves C4;
- Db ProComp.

AUX Effect;
- Waves TrueVerb;
- Waves SuperTap;

Good luck to all.
VasDim
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

cpsmusic wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 06:55 CEST
Hi All,

Quick question - should the "metronome clicks" at the start of each track be included in the final mix? Leaving them out will change the submitted song length.

Cheers!
Hi, that was not my intention - that they should be included - and almost nobody has done that.
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Thank you to Bellener and Friends, as represented by @A Future in Noise, for providing the song. It's refreshing to hear this genre, nice track to work on. @Mister Fox, thank you once again for your hard work.

The client supplied electric guitar, solo, and Wurlitzer provided the foundation and vibe for my mix. Used classic effects like plates, chambers, and rooms to further the vibe.

Here is my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-_9T3- ... sp=sharing

BASS
eq
comp
saturation

EGTR and SOLO
used client supplied mix
became the foundation of the mix

WURLITZER
used client supplied mix
added drive and spring

AGTR
eq
drive with spring

STRINGS
channel strip
eq
soothe
cinmatic reverb

HORNS
channel strip
eq
soothe
comp
imager
chamber

VOCAL
saturation
eq
comp
deesser
eq
saturation
send alllv
send voxddl
send plate

UNDER
saturation
eq
comp
imager
send alllv
send plate

WAIL
saturation
eq
comp
send alllv
send plate

CHOIR
saturation
eq
comp
chamber

MASTER
eq
comp
limiter
Fabox

Post by Fabox »

Hi everyone !

Here is my mix.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RuNkJH ... drive_link

I worked on Reaper in the box. In this description, i don’t speak of eq for any tracks. I used fabfilter plug in for this. I hope to respect the rules. (It's my first post.)

Drums
Gate on the kick and snare to reduce attack
Reverb Vahalla for this instruments
Bass
Reamp with SVT Classic emulation
Drum and Bass buss
LA2A emulation
Guitar
Reamp for the electric guitar DI with fender emulation
(Guitar with fx not used)
Emulation Tube touch for the acoustics guitars
Reverb Vahalla for the acoustics
Fairchild 670 emulation for this buss
Keys
Leslie cab emulation for the wurlintzer
(wulitzer addtion tube drive not used)
String
Brass
Key, String, Brass buss
Vocals
LA2A emulation for the leads vocals
Seven Heaven reverb for the voice
Master buss
SSL master comp for this bus

Good luck !

Fabox
Emelowsky
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Emelowsky »

Hello again after a long break 😅😅😅

Very cool song, it was a pleasure to mix it.

Here is the link to my version:
https://we.tl/t-kJ7YOzRQgj

Pleasant listening!😃😃
O'MIX

Post by O'MIX »

Hello,

Thank you for this new mixing opportunity, thank you to the supplier of the song and the musicians who performed it.
From my point of view, it's a pop ballad with elements of classical orchestra so I chose the option of making a mixture of pop and classical universes.

The proposed work is therefore to favor the realism of the whole with great finesse with great attention to details and the effects used, never exaggerated and with contrast, particularly on the vocal elements.

In summary, a warm and analog mix with lots of 3D where each instrument finds its place that sounds right.

The technical part:

Careful listening of the separate tracks was done and equalization corrections were made using the PA KIRCHHOFF EQ in linear phase mode and using the dynamic functions to remove resonances and tweak a little if necessary and certain preamps were used. been applied to give grain to the tracks.

We can relate the sound of this mix to the sound of analog Neve consoles but not only...
All the groups go through ACUSTICA AUDIO (AA) SALT ULTRA GOLD, API, SAND preamps chosen according to the source, mainly GOLD (Neve sound).

A lot of volume automation was necessary especially on the vocals, to make each part stand out, compression also paralleled with WAVESFACTORY TRACK SPACER.

DRUMS: GETGOOD DRUMS SMASH AND GRAB 2 on different elements, RELAB ROOM, FABFILTER PRO R2, DEVIOUS MACHINES MULTIBAND X6 (linear phase mode), OVERLOUD COMP 670 (for color) OUVERLOUD EQP (Bd), FABFILTER PRO Q3 DYN EQ ( hh, de-mud cymbal).

BASS: AA GRAPHITE (amp simulation)

ACC GT: AA AMBER 4 (comp+ Eq), EVENTIDE H-3000

KEYB: OUVERLOUD TH-U (amp simulation), PA BRAINWORX STEREO MAKER (stereo effect)

EL GT RTM: I only used the DI + OUVERLOUD TH-U track
(amp simulation), AA SALT ULTRA SAND (EQ)

EL GT SOLO: I only used the DI + OUVERLOUD TH-U track
(other amp simulation), AA SALT ULTRA PINK (EQ)

STRINGS- CELLO: AA AMBRE 4 (class A comp+ Eq), SAMPLECITY BERLIN STUDIO (Teldex acoustic studio simulation), for maximum realism on the classic instruments part.

TRUMPETS: AA AMBRE 4 (class A comp+ Eq), SAMPLECITY BERLIN STUDIO (Teldex acoustic studio simulation), for maximum realism on the classic instruments part.

CHOIRS: PA KIRCHHOFF EQ (linear + dynamic), SAMPLECITY BERLIN STUDIO (Teldex acoustic studio simulation), for maximum realism on the classical instruments and choirs part.

VOCALS: AA MAGIC FLOW (eq+comp+dyn eq), AA AMBER 4 (for color), SOFTUBE WEISS (deess sibilances), FABFILTER TIMELESS 3 (delay effect)

VOCAL LEAD: AA MAGIC FLOW (eq+comp+dyn eq), AA GOLD 5 COMP (for color), SOFTUBE WEISS (deess sibilances), RELAB VSR S24 (reverb), FABFILTER TIMELESS 3 (other delay effect), AA DOVE (resonances and other refinements)

MASTER BUS: AA GREEN 5 ULTRA (eq mode M/S light curve), AA MIDNIGHT (light glue comp), AA JAM (saturation), AA LAVE (limit on peaks slightly)

That's basically the technical part, I hope that all this will not be understood!! For the listener, listening must be obvious and musical and clear, far from all these technical aspects! This is probably my Belgian surrealist side speaking...

Good listening to all,

The file is in 24Bits / 48 khz
LUFS -18,06
TPL -3,76
DR 11,84

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sMUZr5 ... sp=sharing

Hello from Brussels,
Patrick
Emelowsky
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Emelowsky »

Emelowsky wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 15:17 CEST
Hello again after a long break 😅😅😅

Very cool song, it was a pleasure to mix it.

Here is the link to my version:
https://we.tl/t-kJ7YOzRQgj

Pleasant listening!😃😃

Oh no!!! A tail of reverb crept in at the beginning😂😂. According to the rules I don't swap the file - such a slip-up 😅
RobertWalter

Post by RobertWalter »

It was some time ago that I participated in the Challenge. I am glad that Mister Fox succeeds in keeping the Challenges going.

Here you can find my mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LPFnoB ... sp=sharing

As usual I first normalized all tracks to -23LUFS and arranged them in groups to get an starting point.
- vox_lead, vox-under and vox_wail: removing low frequency noise and accentuate some frequency regions With Nova GE; some compression on individual tracks, for example 4:1 slow attack fast and fast release on the lead (FET Compressor). On the lead adding some tube saturation (Tube Saturator Vintage), especially on de mid frequencies. On vox bus plate reverb (Rev Plate-140)
- choir: on the choir bus I used eq to sculpt out some room voor de lead vox, panning to spread and adding some plate reverb (Rev Plate-140) to thicken the sound.

On many other tracks I used TDR Nova GE fr removing low frequencies, accentuate the in my opinion important frequeny range en temper the dynamics (either an individual fequeny centered band or an across the spectrum wide band).
- bass guitar: ducking whenever the kick comes in (ReaComp).
- on kick, toms, snare and hihat some transient shapping (Ttransient, Transpire); snaresound added with SnareBuzz; on drum bus an compressor, another compressor on the toms
- cymbals two reverbs in succession (R2, Fast Verb)
- accoustic gtr: thicken/enrich the sound with very short delay and some saturation (Replika)
- elecric gtr: I used the tracks-with-all-fx, and added some grit with Devil Loc, and added some saturation on the solo (Tube Saturator Vintage)/
- the wurlitzer sound I widened with some stereo echoes from Fix Flanger.
- strings: sculpting out some mid fequency range and adding volume+saturation to low and high end.
- cello: besides panning a medium long plate (Rev Plate-140).
- trumpet: removing low frequencies and adding around 5k.

I did four instances of volume automation on individual frases of the lead vox and one on the first note of the accoustic gtr, only to get a more balanced sound.

On the Mix Bus a little ompression with DC8C2 and TDR Limiter 6 GE (not just as limiter, I just like the sound when I compress a little with these plugins) and setting the approriate overall volume.

I tried tot let the lead voice stand out, but not too much and I hope i suceeded in giving each instrument an audible role in the ensemble.

Rob

Edit saterday 20.57u: I changed Google Drive settings. Mix should be accessible now
Last edited by RobertWalter on Sat Apr 20, 2024 20:58 CEST, edited 1 time in total.