2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by BenjiRage »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 20:46 CEST
Actually, loudness fluctuations measured with EBU R128 or ITU-R BS.1770-1+ are noted down in +- <value> LU, not dB (relative) or dBFS (absolute).
Exactly
LCM!

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by LCM! »

Hi everyone. First of all, thanks to the people who make this happens, @Mister Fox and @A Future in Noise.
This is my mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1etB5Ww ... sp=sharing

Thinghs worth mentioning.
I thouht in a kind of Chamber Pop approach (strings, keys, soft drums discrete bass, long reverbs...), as I mentioned back in another post. It is clear this genre has a link to the 60's and 70's and adds a touch of comtemporaneity at the same time.
There is a room reverb where every thing is routed at certain amount.
Lead vocal: the pivotal centre of the song, parallel comp, fattener delay, plate reverb and slapback delay just in the quieter parts.
Vox veil and BGVs: pre-fx delay to get an ethereal mood.
Drums: softer than I use to. I hope the kick is right in the zone of being percieved but not dominant. A transient shaper to take out some attack of the brush-snare. Toms, cymbals and hihat with extra stereo effect. Toms splitted in four bands trying to separate the hits.
Guits: accoustic are hard panned.
Wurli: low-cut and panned to the left.
In the following elements my aim was to get a more natural sound out of them, by the means of tremolo, distortion and pre-fx reverb.
Strings: I really dislike the way it drops in transitions, so I streched the last note of some sections and create a fade out close to the next one. I did the same in the last note of the wurli. I consider that those radical cuts make the song to look artificial and more MIDI.
Trumpets and Cellos: pre-fader reverb.

I hope you enjoy it. And good luck.
Cadence Soundlabs

MC097 Bellener and Friends-Get a Grip Cadence Soundlabs Mix

Post by Cadence Soundlabs »

Hello everybody,

Here is the link for my mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uAelBp ... sp=sharing

Thank you for the opportunity to mix this.

My approach on this song was pretty basic. I used Mix Monolith to gain stage everything at the start. I opted not to use the Kick Alt as I thought it had too much of the modern sound that the client didn't want. And I used a compressor to help round off the kick transient a bit for the more 70s sound. All of the drums were routed to a bus with some bus compression.

I had a little compression on the bass.

I bussed the acoustic guitars together.

I added a tubescreamer style overdrive to the DI guitar tracks and bussed them together.

I bussed the Cello and the strings together and Eq'd them slightly and added a dynamic EQ to tame the high end a bit.

I bussed the Trumpets together.

I bussed the Wurlitzer tracks together.

I bussed the choir together. Then, I sent it to the Audiority Space Station to give it a bigger sound and then added a reverb.

I have an FX send on all of the music busses that go to a midrange bus. The midrange bus is filtered to taste, boosted and tamed with a Dynamic EQ.

I used the sidechain feature of Mix Monolith to control the Vox Under track.

I filtered the low and high end on the Vocal Wails track. And again used the Space Station for a bigger sound and feed that into another reverb. This was done directly on the track because I wanted to have almost no dry sound to it.

For the lead vocals, I EQ'd, de-essed, and then did the classic 1176 into a LA-2A. I also added a stereo delay which was feed into a Lexicon 480L emulation.

Then I used typical bus compression on the master bus, cleaned up some noise and did some other various automation stuff with a couple plugins, panning and volume.

I hope you enjoy! Thank you and have a wonderful week!
Valter Zape

Post by Valter Zape »

Hello, here is my mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jMRdTF ... sp=sharing

- Firstly, I leveled the volumes of all tracks to 0db VU.

- I started increasing the volume of the voice, and then other instruments.

- kick and kick-alternative, I joined the two channels into a group, inverted the phase of the kick-alternative, started with a compressor with slow attack and quick release, then I added an equalizer increasing low frequencies and lowering medium low frequencies.

- On the bass, a clipdistortion to contain louder transients and then a compressor with a slow attack and higher release.

- In the box, a compressor with slow attack and quick release, then a clipdistortion to contain louder transients.

- Hihat an eq cutting low frequencies up to 320hz, and a comb filter cutting at 6900hz.

- Cymbals a bass cut up to 500 Hz.

- Toms, a stereo imager to open up the stereo more, a gate to hold a little resonance and a compressor with long attack and short release.

- wurlitzer_cleaner_factory_preset, I used a delay to open up the stereo more, an EQ cutting at 100 and 500 Hz, a clipping to cut louder transients and a compressor with a slower attack and longer release.

- accoustic_gtr_no1 and accoustic_gtr_no2, I opened the pan of these two channels to left and right, I didn't do any more processing on the audio, I left it as is.

- e-gtr_with_all_FX, eq cutting lows up to 700hz and cutting highs up to 7200hz, gate and clipping to cut louder transients.

- e-gtr_DI, a clipping plugin, an eq cutting lows up to 400 cutting highs up to 7200, and increasing the frequency of 3470 by 6db.

- cello_1, low cut up to 200 hz, compressor with medium attack and quick release.

- cello_2, low cut up to 500hz, cut at 6500, +6db at 15200, compressor with medium attack and long release.

- Then I combined the two cellos into 1 track and equalized with a cut at 1000hz and 6db at 10800hz.

- rings-section eq with high cut up to 500 hz, cut at 1170 hz. Clipping and then a gate.

- acoustic_guitar_sampled, EQ cutting lows up to 200hz, cut at 870hz and 1370, and +6db at 5300. Then a clipping, a phaser pedal to make the mid-bass sound cleaner and a tone pedal to take away some of the shine.

- e-guitar-solo_DI and e-guitar-solo_with_all_FX, combined into a single track, gate, EQ cutting lows up to 300hz, cut at 2900hz, compressor with fast attack and medium release, and clipping.

- trumpet_no1 and trumpet_no2, combined into a single track, opened the pan left and right, eq +3db at 1600hz and +5db at 7060hz. Then a clipping plugin.

- Choirs, I combined them all into a single track, EQ with low cuts up to 100hz, and then clipping to cut peaks.

- vox_lead_cleaned, a low cut up to 100 hz, +3db at 180hz, -6db comb filters at 435hz, 820hz, 1690hz and 8550hz. Then a denoise to eliminate noise, a deser at 8000hz, a clipping, a gate and a compressor with fast attack and slow release.

- vox_under, same treatment as vox_lead_cleaned, with the exception of the eq which was cut low up to 270hz, and +6db at 11900.

- vox_wail, same treatment as vox_lead_cleaned, with the exception of the eq which was cut low up to 300hz, specific cut at 800hz and 2500 and +6db at 11900.

- Effects:

- Delay: used in vox_lead_cleaned and vox_under.

- Medium Plate Reverb: on all channels, with low cuts up to 100hz and highs up to 10000hz.

- Medium Plate Reverb: on the vox_under, vox_wail, srings-section, trumpet and choirs channels, without EQ cuts so that the reverb also picks up the high frequencies, with the aim of distancing these instruments a little.

- Chorus: on the vox_wail and choirs tracks.

- On the master track, a neve distortion simulator plugin, a clipping, a high frequency exciter and a tape simulator.

- Automations: on the track vox_wail panorama automation to attract attention and not clutter with too many vocals. On the e-gtr_with_all_FX track, volume automation to give more emphasis to certain points in the song.
KCVanHorn

Post by KCVanHorn »

Thanks for this opportunity!

Here is my mix: My mix of "Get a Grip"

I took about 2 days editing and mixing. I'll just highlight a few things that I did.

- Edited vocals and instruments to be slightly tighter all around.
- added EQ to all tracks (Fab Filter Pro Q3) I used the Q3's dynamic EQ in a few spots, mostly vocals
- added reverb to many of the tracks (Valhalla Vintage Verb)
- automated delay on the main vocals (Waves H-Delay)
- Bass Guitar:
1. I used BX Bassdude Amp (got for free from plugin alliance) to give the bass some more tone and a bit of crunch.
2. Reel Tape Saturation (free from Pro-Tools subscription) for some extra warmth.
3. Waves H-Comp for Compression (free Black Friday gift from Waves)

- Master Bus only has very light compression, high-pass EQ and an L2 (no limiting, just gain increase). So these can easily be removed for mastering.

Some other fun things:
Added a tail reverb to the male harmonies that end the song
Added a crash to begin the 2nd verse
Made the last bass hit longer to make the fade out more natural

tried to keep this mix 60's-70s inspired.

Thanks again!

K.C.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

@KCVanHorn

Hi, you say that: "Added a crash to begin the 2nd verse."

According to the rules, copied from TL;DR: ” … neither any changes to the arrangement (copy/add/move/remove parts)! (Unless otherwise stated.)”

I haven't listened to your track (partly because I need to be able to be completely neutral at this stage), but I'm wondering if it's allowed to copy and move a cymbal several seconds (if that's what you've done)? But maybe it is allowed?

However, I write this comment also for another reason: there is some kind of wild card system. But I haven't been able to fully grasp what it means. Is it applicable in a situation like this? Some of the participants even have a small sign on the right that says "wild card". Maybe someone can explain?
DSBotez

Post by DSBotez »

Hello Everyone, and thank you "A Future in Noise"
The voice reminds me of Nina Elisabet Persson from The Cardigans.

Here is the link to my submission:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sVFDng ... sp=sharing
► Show Spoiler
KCVanHorn

Post by KCVanHorn »

Hmm... you may be right. I read that editing was allowed, just no drum replacements (like samples from drum triggers). Let me find out what I can do.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

KCVanHorn wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 15:26 CEST
Hmm... you may be right. I read that editing was allowed, just no drum replacements (like samples from drum triggers). Let me find out what I can do.
Adding a cymbal isn't really the same thing as a change to the arrangement. Maybe wait and see what admin says before you change anything. (To reupload an edited entry is not allowed.)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

I answered this for @KCVanHorn on Discord, @A Future in Noise.

As mentioned in the rules (see TL;DR Rules.txt -- paragraph 3, see Rules for Participants -- paragraph 8, Mix Challenge Rules FAQ Section -- Q7/A7), adding a crash cymbal that wasn't at this position in the arrangement, is indeed not allowed.

This topic is a rare occurrence, and while upholding the rules, I usually decide on a per-case basis. So unless an entry (or participant) grossly violates the rules, this will merely result in a "tagged disqualified" situation (for the time being), which makes it still possible to advance into Mix Round 2 with the help of a Wild Card, should this entry be selected for Mix Round 2.

:information_source: In other words:
Please take this as a learning experience -- no changes please, no withdrawing.
Please wait until the the game has ended, and feedback for Mix Round 2 is available.

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
Including today, 10 days left to mix and submit your entry.

So far I have 20 entries on my HDD, the multi-tracks have been downloaded 140 times.