2024-SEP-01 Info: Every September, the Mix Challenge audio community brings awareness to the topic mental health. Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 085.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC084 August 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC084 August 2024 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 084 - August 2024

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official and very simple "Rules and Guidelines" (TL;DR version) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/re-submission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.
  • The general idea of this game is to "...just make music", to also challenge yourself by stepping a bit out of your comfort zone, and take a dip at realms you've never worked in before. Instrumentals are just as welcome as productions with vocals.
  • The Genre, "Premise" and Rules Summary for this months challenge can always be found in in post #002
Read more about this month's competition further down below. And if you got any question, please also reach out on Discord.

:arrow_right: SONGWRITING COMPETITION THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, Sponsors
Post #003 -- Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (limited if genre is "free to select")
Post #022 -- Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Post #039 -- Results: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC084 August 2024 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Thursday, 01st August 2024 to Saturday, 24th August 2024 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-AUG-2024, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

The current game deadlines can be found on the Global Countdown page and on the landing site. Short reminders will also be sent out via the newsletter, social media and Discord. Does the game time frame feel too long? Why not set yourself a personal shorter one of 5-7 days. Push yourself to focus on the essentials, then use the rest of the time to ask for feedback and possible refinements. :bulb:

SONGWRITING THEME: "A late evening walk" (Picture Theme)
GENRE: free to select

Image Source: iStock.com, photo by Appography

A few word about this month's theme:

Staff (Mister Fox) wrote: We're having a "Picture Theme" this month.

There will be no extensive brief with twists and turns. Please have a look, get inspired by the image(s) and the theme. Let your mind wander for a bit. Then start writing. :pencil2: :musical_keyboard: :notes:

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in any music genre you feel like.

A short explanation of the concept of this month's game: The general idea is to draw inspiration from the picture(s). However do not solely fixate on that particular photo and it's details alone. Rather focus on the "overarching concept". The picture and possible provided key words can have many different meanings. How you interpret it, is up to you.

You set your own parameters and limitations, e.g. style and genre, melodic questions and counter arguments. As long as you don't exceed 10 minutes of runtime, neither have endless padded out repetition. Please keep us listeners engaged. And as usual - vocals are optional. Don't feel pressured to provide any.

Just make music and have fun!

I'm curious about what you come up with! :headphones:

Songwriting Rule Summary:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):

Cherry Audio, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, JRR Sounds, kv331 audio, Luftrum, Musiclab, Rekkerd Sounds, satyatunes - Sound / Graphic Design, and Tone2.

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC084 August 2024 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

:arrow_right: Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

Since the genre this month is "free to select", there are no clear pointers

Music examples (selection for inspiration, 00 videos):

No music examples available this month. However, I can always recommend to enter random genre search words either on YouTube, Spotify or other music streaming services you prefer using.

:arrow_right: If you're new to songwriting, or you are in need for new helper tools, instruments, samples or presets -- please check out the following:

Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Tools to help with songwriting (outsourced megathread - started 01-JUL-2024)

UPDATED: 31-JUL-2024 22:35 UTC+2, updated 00-AUG-2024 00:00 UTC+2
TrojakEW

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC084 August 2024 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TrojakEW »

I was able to squeeze quick and simple track for this round. Just in few hour in one sitting, this is kind of record for me. Never before was able to do anything that quick. In order to no waste much time I went for experiment. The whole track is just one chord and no progression. Yes it is simple but also challenging to make this repeating chord somewhat interesting. This idea I get from few other tracks here where some people were successful to make simple theme that was almost like a loop still sounding like it is evolving. Not sure if I was successful. So I put this walk to really late into empty dark streets. I was trying to create middle ground in regards of mood. Not happy but not dark. Somewhat you do not know what awaits you there. You can be lucky and walk ends as relaxing therapy but also very unlucky and get robbed or even worse.

What was used:
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

We have 01 entry so far, but sadly no further interaction.

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 7 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

To those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
PonySho

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC084 August 2024 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by PonySho »

I'm cooking up a tune. Will post soon.

Thanks for this opportunity.
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

I wanted to produce a track that reflected an evening walk to unwind at the end of a long hard day, processing thoughts of the day that has just passed and concluding that actually things have been pretty good. The idea of using bagpipes at the end just seemed appropriate, because after all, everyone deserves a fanfare from a troop of pipers to celebrate their arrival home at the end of a hard day!

Host
Cubase 13 Pro

VSTs
Superior Drummer for percussion
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist x2
Steinberg Halion Sonic for bass and strings
Arturia Piano V3
Arturia Mellotron V for flute and strings
u-he Diva for arps
Camel Audio Alchemy for chimes and choir
Sampletank 4 for bagpipes

Fx
Very few Fx used
Little bit of compression with IK T-RackS Black 76 and VC670 on piano and bass respectively
FabFilter Saturn for saturation
Autopan on the arps and choir
Baby Audio Transit on the Mellotron flute in the 'middle eight' section
Eventide Quadravox on the bagpipes
Valhalla Room for reverb send (Wide Stereo Hall preset)
Ozone 11 on the master with Steinberg Magneto tape sim and T-RackS Stealth Limiter
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
Including today, 6 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 02 entries -- with sadly no additional user interaction.

Now is the perfect time to post your entry!

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 to 4 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
-dsf-

Post by -dsf- »

Hello, the topic inspired me to return to one older draft. It is a pseudo classical attempt. Imagine late evening walk under old gas lighting :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I-WfbZ ... sp=sharing

It was assembled in Reaper and all the samples, except piano are Spitfire's BBC SO Core with little EQ.
Please le me know if the entry is formally correct.
Last edited by -dsf- on Sat Aug 24, 2024 18:54 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Elcubano

Post by Elcubano »

hello,
I tried to do a song about leaving. I'm not used to writing lyrics, and I can't sing,
I tried using SynthV, a text-to-speech program. (I think it's harder to use this tool than to actually sing, if you can sing).
The song is quite simplistic, a call to take to the road, to walk towards a new beginning.
I hope the loudness is ok.

What was used to create the track:
► Show Spoiler