2019-DEC-04 Info: Forum engine update and general maintenance has been finished (10:00am). Thank you for your patience.

Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Ask us a question, give feedback, make suggesions
White Punk OD

Re: Mix Challenge - General Gossip Thread

Post by White Punk OD » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks for reading and thread management. :)
Well if my eyes would not be ageing much worse than the ears, I would have been able to to the job.
E.g. together with the admin of another board, we could modify the

Code: Select all

[youtube]us234ahsdoi[/youtube]

Code: Select all

[youtube starttime=612]us234ahsdoi[/youtube]
tag to accept a second parameter that jumps to a certain timestamp in a long concert.
The <media> tag (or a duplicate named MCmedia) would have to be modified to accept the name of the MCxx episode, and the name of the contestant. This parameter-passing by itself could be scripted by a programmer. (Like the script that turns any "https://..." into a real link, and can also check forbidden domains.
The contestants need not do anything special, but use the MCmedia tag to post the link to their mix. (Or just any non-tagged link becomes MCmedia.)
Part 2 is to query the database for the MC number, and put the result list into a tag that works like these "survey(umfrage)" tags, that are lists from a database result also.

Just in case one day you stumble over a thing that looks similar to this idea, because there are myriads of forum software extensions floating around.
Please, don't feel nagged, I fully understand this takes a lot of time and is currently out of sight.

White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Henrik Hjortnaes wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:52 pm
White Punk OD wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:36 pm
I'm wondering why so many participants seem not able to study and respect the rules.
They just mix and post along.
It's a mirror of current society. Too long, didn't read. Tap, swipe, more swipe. Zap-zap. Hollow out approach, cut to the chase, no patience. Nothing more Fox can do, really.
If we talk about society, the question has become "which one"?
As it was a major factor in the fall of Rome, that outside of the Limes, they had developed, these folks were not the barbarians and brutes that they used to be centuries earlier.

Use of the internet is different in different cultures. Some are very conscious, because they have to reasonably communicate with their diaspora families, and they are poor and must limit data traffic costs. Also, they have high skills of self-organization, which requires skills in effective communication (rather than ranting and boasting).

This will have influence in music sales.

There is a habit in the "Occidental" cultures today, they are interested in "perfection", and "political correctness". Everything has to be oh so tame and nice. Resulting in an extremely balanced sound by the help of musical AI software (like Gullfoss and Neutron).
But in parallel, there is aggressive Rap etc., and there are some other parallel worlds.
Clearly, there is some kind of cultural segregation, and it is a segregation of judgement. Rap is being judged by different standards than pop, and that is partially, political standards. (I happen to like old-school rappers, like Talib Kweli, KRS ONE, Eminem.)

For me it comes down to look at basically two kinds of audiences.
One puts perfection first, and it is not that obvious, how this relates to emotion, or how in that context the factor of emotion is being engineered.
(Because in some discourses, "perfection" is seen as "cold/sterile".)
The other side directly relates to the emotion that a song transpires, and puts technical perfection in a less dominant position, though of course it is appreciated.
We might tend to see the second one as an older way of things, but in global context this might not be the case.

Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:22 pm

White Punk OD wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:48 pm
Well if my eyes would not be ageing much worse than the ears, I would have been able to to the job.
Come on White Punk ... an automatic mix finder and list feature (script/db search) would be killer to have! And quite simple to make, I guess :tu: But yes, it takes time and maybe also continuous maintenance to keep it running through board updates, etc.

The closest I can get to that as a simple user is an extended search within the challenge thread

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:32 am

I've spent a couple of hours this afternoon on digging a bit deeper into the topic, and trying to find either a suitable extension or even a deep-mod for the forum. And I sadly have to disappoint you. What you want to have (ideally an auto-listing of submitted entries) doesn't exist - or I didn't find anything suitable.

There is in theory a way to pull this off, but this means that this needs to be "modded" into phpBB. Something I am neither capable of, nor comfortable with. I'd need to involve a programmer, and keep this person involved every time I update phpBB. Also mods will be overwritten every time you update the forum engine. Extensions on the other hand, are just that... add-ons.

I'd love to maybe have a "RSS Reader" like the KVR Audio forum is using for their Music Cafe. But to my knowledge, that only works with the first post, and would need extra pages per game to list the entries.

So I am afraid you have to make due with the bare-bones engine we have at our disposal - and things still need to be curated manually. Which is already way, way more than XYZ place out there were you can join mixing and remixing games - because you don't have access to other entries.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:59 pm

:tu: thanks a lot again for doing all this, and looking into the suggestions and issues.
it would be unfair to criticise a free service that works very well and delivers what is being announced.

(and let's hope that one day they update the engine with some meta-script features to query the database and put results into particular postings. :cool: - one of the major caveats is always that the feature has to be hack proof and that's quite difficult for this type of request.)

Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:23 pm

Soundcloud has now introduced lossless HD storage and downloads for all. Could that influence the rules on how to provide our mixes?

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:55 pm

Lossless storage and "public download" isn't a new thing for SoundCloud. In fact, it's been around for a couple of years.

I've talked about this before, but I do see a couple of issues with using SoundCloud for the Mix(ing) Challenge:
  • Uploading to SoundCloud without proper file tagging and giving credits can result in diving the false impression that you're the "creator" of this music material (which has negative influence on the Song Provider). Asking participants to add proper tags would mean: more rules, more things to keep track of.
  • SoundCloud's "Licensing" also means updates regarding the "license agreements" on the side of the Mix Challenge community (as in: way more work, keeping things updated, etc)
  • I've ran into the occasional issue that I couldn't download from SoundCloud or that I've been "locked out" from an account or even song. As if there is some sort of region lock (possible with Pro Unlimited account if I saw that right). It's rare, but it happened
  • I do not agree with the Monetization Capabilities of the Pro / Pro Unlimited programs

I rather prefer uploads to a private server (like some participants already do), DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc. Realtime playback is not important for the Mix Challenge. It's a bit different for the Songwriting Competition and the Remix Challenge. But here, people clearly showcase their own material, not something you've got access to and worked at.

In other words - that will not influence the Rules and Guidelines again.
It will stay like it currently is:
  • Mix Challenge - no SoundCloud
  • Songwriting Competition and Remix Challenge - use of SoundCloud possible
  • The Mastering Challenge still has SoundCloud listed, but those rules might change eventually as well

Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:08 pm

I thought the lossless download for everyone, paying and non-paying, was new.

But you're right and I agree on your points. I didn't think it through.

Mister Fox
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:31 am

I think this was already possible early 2017. I don't remember anymore if it was widespread already in the early days of the Songwriting Competition (August 2017). But it's definitely available for a while

Henrik Hjortnaes

Post by Henrik Hjortnaes » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 am

For good measure, here is the email I received yesterday from Soundcloud which prompted my post:

SoundCloud
Bringing lossless HD storage and downloads to all

You are receiving this email because you have uploaded at least one track to SoundCloud.

Part of SoundCloud's commitment to connecting creators with the world's largest community of music fans includes safeguarding your master audio files with higher quality, more flexible storage and recovery features than any other audio platform.

• To bring our highest quality file-management solution to more creators, we've made some changes to the platform that might affect you:
    Starting today, every SoundCloud creator will be able to upload, store and download their original lossless HD files. This feature set was previously only available to Pro Unlimited subscribers. You can learn why uploading lossless HD files is an important way for you to protect your work here.
  • To make lossless HD file management free to all, starting December 9th, our free upload limit will change from 3 hours of audio, to 3 hours or 15 tracks. This will not impact existing uploads. Learn how this change might affect you at our Help Center.
Last edited by Henrik Hjortnaes on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.