2024-JUN-02 Info: Happy 10 Years Anniversary, everyone! Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 098 and Songwriting Competition 082.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
mahzinho

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Submissions until 21-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by mahzinho »

Started with a static mix (balancing fadering levels) and basical panning... so applied EQ to elements for carving frequencies for others and applied compression to what I belief was the case... one reverb for all elements with aux channel feeded by one eq to filter frequencies about reverb and after that compression... Adjusted peaks with limiter and recorded through gear using around -8 threshold ; 2:1 ratio; around 10 ms attack and around 500 ms release, with hard knee mode and peak mode.
Mix done using FL Studio this time that I own too: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YcCyR ... s4npNIIVxE
edwarkmonk

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Submissions until 21-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by edwarkmonk »

Ok here we go! - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f4MC7w ... sp=sharing
Bass - hugely processed. Pro-MB, EQ, Cramit, Bass Professor, soothe (for low end), NI VC2a compressor and EQ again
Organ - Pro-MB, EQ, Microshift and Decapitator. Also reduced width
Drum Bus - Devilloc (0.01 percent perhaps? very obvious beast), Ableton SSL comp, PRo-MB, EQ, TB Reelbus, Cramit, Spectre, EQ again and DMG essense for time cymbals sometimes
Overhead- Promb, Proeq, Increase width a bit, Pultec EQ, spectre, soothe, essense, Softube Transient shaper (yeah noticed such a big space around them, reduced so), EQ again
Kick - PRO-Gate, EQ, Kiive Xtressor, Unfiltered Bass Mint, BassProfessor (oh yeah), Eq again ;-)
Snare - Both channel got Gate, then buss - Ni supercharger gt, Pro-q3, Analog obsession Loveend to increase fundamental, Proq3 and Pulsar 1178 for that famous click sound
Tom - Loveend and EQ
Roommic - devilloc and eq
Floortom - gate, eq and Loveend
Vocals are both 26 percent right and left with bass mono on 500hz. NI Varicomp, NI VC2A, Pro-MB
Guitars - soothe, eq, promb, spectre
one set of guitart got - ableton overdrive in parallel, decapitator
Some of them got an ableton's cab sim
Another group of guitar got - SSL x saturator
To some clean ones I added Ableton amps, possibly in parallel as well after the main one.

Masterbus - Pro-MB, MatthewLane DRMS (just a touch of spatial processing), Pultec EQ (both low end and hiend tricks all of you probably know), DMG Essense (just touch a bit of sibillance from everywhere), Klanghelm DC83 buss compression (I don't know how but it defines that full sounding of overall mix but with GR -1 max it strange but it is, seems like analog tool in vst who knows ;-)) Soundtheory Gullfoss (for joy). Ableton utlity at the end to meet target at 16.5 LUFS integrated with -2.4 peak max. Yeah that's possible with multiple multiband compression of all tracks. Enjoy and good luck to everyone!
Andreas_Ko

Post by Andreas_Ko »

Hi everyone,

UPD: 20.04.2023

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UZLrol ... sp=sharing

mixed ITB

Kick: ssl cs eq, mcdsp 6020
sn T: ssl cs eq and comp, mcdsp 6020
sn B: ssl cs eq
FloorTom: ssl cs eq and comp, phoenix, mcdsp 6030
Rack gated: ssl cs eq and comp, phoenix, mcdsp 6030
oh: ssl cs eq, phoenix, mcdsp 6020, bx_2098
Roommic mono: ssl cs eq, phoenix, avid f 670
bass: ssl cs eq , ssl sat, mcdsp 6020, ik 1176
Guitar 05: ssl cs eq, ssl sat, mcdsp 6020
Guitar 08: ssl cs eq, ssl sat
Guitar 01: ssl cs eq, ssl sat
Guitar 09, Guitar 10: line 6 amp, ssl cs eq, ssl sat
Guitar 11, Guitar 12: line 6 amp, ssl cs eq, ssl sat, bf-3a
Guitar 06: ssl cs eq, phoenix, ssl sat, mcdsp g eq
Guitar 04: ssl cs eq, phoenix, mcdsp 6020
Organ stereo: ssl cs eq, ssl sat, air filter gate
voc 01, voc 02: mcdsp ae400, ssl cs eq, ssl sat, mcdsp 6020, ik 1176, mcdsp de555
voc 03: ssl cs eq, ssl sat, c 4, mcdsp de555
FXs: room verb (drums), spring verb, plate verb (vocals), lex chorus, echo boy
Last edited by Andreas_Ko on Thu Apr 20, 2023 16:06 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
FromAtoZMix
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by FromAtoZMix »

Here I my approach to the Mix,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xci73V ... share_link

1. Balance , EQ, Pan, everything to the taste,
2. An extra EQ and positioning for GTR, I believe I used mainly Waves Kramer PIE comp, EQ RND 5033,
3.Room Mic, OH, SNR and KIK, sync and EQ, comp, to the taste, I used RN 5043, RND 5033 Plugin from Steinberg,
4. FX on desired channels, EQ on return(Logic stock plugin), used EW Room DR Room, a little blend with stems, all of them to give them cohesion and glue effect.
5. Automation on GTR, Drums,
6. Vox, I used HW unit, SSL plus RND MBC, pushed to the taste, I used 4K Mode, just to add that tone from 4K Console. EQ, and sent to FX, Vrb mainly,
7. Bass was too muddy after all this so I used FabFilter Saturn to add that edge and matched with KIK.
8. Mix Bus, PA Mid-Side EQ, Tape from IK Multimedia, all sent to SSL Mix Bus, 4:1 Ratio, kept ballistic 0-4 db red. Last thing RND MBC, Limiter set to -6dBFS, occasionally reduction happened, only. when SNR hit. Used 30% Silk Red/Transformer Option on unit to "GLUE" them all.
9. Track should be -17 LUFS, 44k file.

That would be all, good luck and thank you again for another spin.

Regards.
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Thank you @JeroenZuiderwijk for contributing your song to this challenge. @MisterFox, as always, thanks for all your work.

Here's the link to my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12npnUX ... share_link

Method to the madness follows. :-)

ALLBASS eq/ comp/ multi-band/ transient/
..........BASS eq/ saturation/
..........BASSAT saturation/

ORGAN eq/ leslie/

ALLDRUMS eq/ comp/
DRMSPAR comp/ eq/
..........KICK comp/
....................KICKPAR comp/ eq/
..........SNR transient/ comp/ limiter/ deesser/
....................SNRPAR comp/ eq/
..............................TOP comp/ gate/ eq/
..............................BOTTOM eq/
..........SNRFX - PLATE

..........TOMS comp/ eq/
..........TOMSPAR comp eq/
....................RACK
....................FLOOR comp/ gate/
..........OH
....................OHL
....................OHR
..........ROOM parallel comp/ eq/

ALLGTRS eq/ comp/
..........GTR4DDL guitar 4 only delay
..........GTR 2/ 5/ 9/ 10/ 3/ 4/ eq into amp simulator
..........GTR 12/ 11/ 6/ eq into amp simulator
..........G7&8 amp simulator/
....................GTR 7/ 8/ eq
..........GTR 1/ eq/

ALLVOX comp/ saturation/ eq/
..........VOXfx plate
..........voc 1/ eq
....................2/ eq/ comp/
....................3/ eq/ comp/

MIXBUS eq/ comp/ limiter/
Eliop88

Post by Eliop88 »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uRgCfp ... share_link

Drums: cleans resonances with fabfilter q3 on all tracks and tone with ssl 4000E
Room Mono: equalization and sturazzione
Drumbus: Compression equalization and saturation
Bass: equalization and added distortion in parallel, compressed the buss
Vox: Dessing, equalization compression and added fx
Guitar: equalization cleaning frequencies and bass cutting with fabfilter ton with api550b
BusGuitar: compression and saturation
Organ: compression added a dubler vibrato and long delay
dstra

Post by dstra »

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot to Jeroen for providing the song. I enjoyed mixing it, even though it wasn't that easy with so many guitar tracks. Here you can find the result: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QKNnKY ... sp=sharing

Processing

Tracks:
eq and compression to taste on almost every track, in addition:
- voc 01 & 02: short reverb for fattening the voice
- voc 02 bridge (on separate track): additional compresson, longer reverb
- Guitar 04, 06, 08, 09: amp simulation, room reverb
- Guitar 01: room reverb, hall reverb after bridge
- Guitar 02: amp simulation, room reverb, hall reverb after bridge
- Bass: bass enhancer, sidechained dynamic eq to leave more space for the kick in the low end
- Kick: additional compressor to level the volume
- Snare: reverb
- FloorTom: noise gate
- Roommic mono: delay to extend the recorded predelay, comb filters for stereo widening
- some volume and effects automation was also applied

Buses:
- vocals: -
- guitars & organ: compression, sidechained dynamic eq to leave some space for the snare
- drums: compression
- main bus: "glue" compression

Tools:
- DAW: Ardour (Linux)
- plugin bundles: Calf, LSP, Guitarix, Zam and others

Hope you enjoy it! :phones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC091 April 2023 - Submissions until 21-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the community.
Punchipum wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 19:52 CEST
This is my first time trying to participate and I made the mistake of reading the rules after mixing and not before. So I think that my mix is ​​disqualified because I have used samples in the kick and snare and also compression in the Mixbuss and some tape emulation (things that I still don't quite understand why they are prohibited). ...
For clarification:

Yes, since you used drum sample enhancement/replacement, your entry would unfortunately be tagged "OUT".

And with the following - I do not understand where you got that notion.

No, there is no prohibition on using summing bus treatment. You can use "mix glue" tricks, even "fairy dust" treatment. However, the lines are thin and the focus should be "editing/mixing in such a way, that barely any after-touches other than proper fade in/out and finalizing for distribution is needed for a possible follow-up mastering step". Everything else is allowed - within reason and given boundaries, of course.
LCM!

Post by LCM! »

Thanks to the people who make this month's contest possible, the provider, @JeroenZuiderwijk and @MisterFox. :clap:
These are some worth mentioning aspects of my mix:
Drums. Parallel compression for kick, snare and toms.
Bass. duplicated into lows and highs tracks. Par comp.
Organ. Tremolo and stereo effects.
Guitars. GuitarRig on every track but 1 and 6. 2, 3 and 7 were muted. Automation to underline some spots where there are too many distortion. 1 and 2DI are trimmed after the break to get more impact.
Vox. Par Comp. 2 is 9% to the left. Telephone sound and slapback delay in the break.
Room reverb for everything and plate just for voices.
I used Reaper stock-pluggins and GuitarRig.
I hope you enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TolzSU ... share_link
LughSenderson

Post by LughSenderson »

Here is my mix.

My process was pretty simple, adding EQ mainly to increase the amount of highs and quick compression on all instruments. All done with the BX SSL 9000J. For delays and reverbs I used the Relab lx480.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1epdPYE ... share_link