2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC34 July 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC34 July 2017 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd July 2017, 6:10am GMT+1/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended
We have 16 participants (if I didn't miscount - same participant amount like last month), no submissions after the deadline

Please check all if your links again, make them downloadable. Those that uploaded MP3s only, please take note: providing a FLAC (on low bandwidth)/WAV (on DSL and higher) file is mandatory now. Also please update your posts with minimal documentation if possible.

Good luck to all participants
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

Good Morning Mr Fox..and everyone..

Right, up stupidly early (as usual) and have had a preliminary listen to all of them now so a few very general overall observations and pointers;

1. Been really impressed with the creativity people have shown with the reverbs/delays/modulation effects - really bought out new themes from what's there in many cases.
2. Don't think anyone's quite got the rhythmic delay effect for the celeste which goes on throughout the song correctly, a few are close..
3. With some honourable exceptions I think people have been a little timid with the drums - sharpen your compressors for round 2 and think 'big-beat'!
4. Similarly, people have mostly been too polite with the bass. Give it some saturation - not to the point of full on distortion, but so it's well into the red and has that 'ripping' sound when the filter opens up towards the end of the sections.
5. I'm routinely told that I mix my own vocals too low in the mix, so if I tell you they're too quiet in the comments, then they probably are! Quite a few (as could my own mix) could also do with a bit more presence. I love my little USB mic, but it always needs a bit of assistance from eq/exciter etc!

Anyway, really enjoyed listening and thanks everyone for taking the time and effort. I shall be back on Monday (if not before) with full comments and my picks.
Small Ocean

Post by Small Ocean »

Doooh! I got my dates mixed up, do you mind if I sneak in my submission? Apologies for just missing the deadline.

WAV: http://www.smallocean.net/pubshare/mc34 ... _ocean.wav
MP3: http://www.smallocean.net/pubshare/mc34 ... _ocean.mp3
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Technically, you've submitted past the deadline - so you're not counted for the first round (I try to be more strict on rules - sorry!). But if DT is nice enough, maybe he will give you bonus feedback regardless.

If you can tell me what the reason was to get your dates mixed up, maybe I can overhaul/fix that for future challenges. Read: feedback on the timer on the main page and the world clock on the forum. (maybe via PM?)
Small Ocean

Post by Small Ocean »

I just had in my mind for some reason that Saturday was the last day I could submit, must have just miscalculated previously when I saw a post saying "7 days left", was nothing on your end. I did put a fair amount of work into the mix so very disappointed I'm unable to be counted, that's life I guess.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Ah, I understand the confusion, because I usually write "including today"...

I guess the best way to see how long a challenge is still running, is to go by the main page's countdown.
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 18:06 CEST
Technically, you've submitted past the deadline - so you're not counted for the first round (I try to be more strict on rules - sorry!). But if DT is nice enough, maybe he will give you bonus feedback regardless.

Yes, I will give feedback on it. As you know yourself, I'm always struggling with deadlines (bloody job getting in the way of proper stuff like music!) so have every sympathy. :smile:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

That's good sportsmanship. :tu:
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

OK, fully rested and recuperated (strangely always sleep better when you don't have to go to work... :hihi: )

First 4 done, half an hour off to rest the ears a bit, then the next lot. I'll post the feedback all at once rather than as I'm going along. - seems fairer to everyone.
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

Okay, here we go. Feedback first then I'll do another post for the selections for the next round.

Please remember, these are my opinions - just because I wrote the song, it necessarily mean I'm objectively correct, or that your mix isn't any good. :grin: Also bear in mind that these are quite general impressions, by necessity done quite quickly - so feel free to ask me for clarification.

Without further ado, and in the order they appear when downloaded;

Erictracks

Pros

Vocal nicely mixed eq'd and mixed for the most part, but also see below!
Vocal delay effects done well
Delay on the clap sound is very striking and stands out – echoes (hohoho) of Joy Division
Balance between the drums is spot on
Acoustic guitar done well
Overall, mix is nicely balanced and easy to listen to

Cons

Think you need automate the de-esser on the vocal a bit – in the loud part at the end it's too much!
Not got the triplet delay on the Celeste right (you won't be the last!) and it needs to sound 'harder', cut the lows and boost the mids...
Both drums and bass are a bit 'polite' in terms of compression/saturation

Rendyarr

Pros

Lofi effects at the start very good – this could be automated if possible so it builds into the full sound
Vocals audible – but see below!
Harmony vocals sound really nice
Reverse transition part at 2 mins is a good idea – could start earlier and be even longer using reverse reverb (I'm nicking this!)
Little bitcrushed bit at the end is also a good – you could use the effect on the drums in other places in the track – e.g. the transition part , ..”buildings they keep falling ..” etc

Cons

Main vocal is much too wet in terms of reverb. It needs to be much more upfront with quite a large predelay before any reverb kicks in
Mix is (for my money ) just a bit too trebly overall. Certainly at the start the hi-hats/top end of the acoustic etc are quite a bit overloud for my taste. Tambourine is also too prominent.
Not really getting the 'thump' so much from the electronic kick – I recall that I had it in with the rest of the drums in the bus so it really pushes the compressor.
Bass again a bit polite

Jesper Waller

Pros

Really like the lofi sound you've gone with for the vocal here...but...I'd rather have it as an occasional spot effect rather than for the whole song.
Similarly, the drums are smashed to bits – it's a great sound, but perhaps a bit much for the full thing

Cons

Not got the celeste delay right.
The big gap at 35 seconds! Stick something in there.
The mix is overall overcompressed. This can be a good sound (and it is here in parts) such as in 'Extermintr' by Primal Scream, but this is a song with quite a bit going on so the more extreme compression needs to be focussed where it's needed – such as the drums. Subtlety is the key elsewhere.
Bass is very boomy – I've always had the same problem when I've done mixes of this before

Arthur Labus

Pros

Almost got the celeste delay right – just needs to trip over itself a bit more, just needs a bit more feedback. I like the modulation effects you've got from it as well. These probably need to be in additon to the more 'straight' sound though.
Gated drum effect in the intro is great and later
Love the distortion that comes in at 2 mins 06 – probably needs high-passing a bit , but a great sound

Cons

As with a lot of the entries the drums are a bit' flat' for me – they need to be quite heavily compressed and 'snappy'
Bass is a bit indistinct as well – when the filter opens it really needs to be audible
Vocals are a bit 'roomy' . Like some other entries they need to be more upfront in terms of reverb – which should have quite a big predlay, proibably up to 100ms off the top of my head, and not kick in till at least 300 hz. Use delays to add spaced instead.

Herb Felho

Pros

Good overall mix with nothing overly loud/sticking out eq wise
Drums nicely punchy there – can really feel the impact, nice job! You've done the best so far with them. Great lofi intro too.
I like the delay effects for the backing – not sure about just having one repeat though, perhaps this can increase as the song builds up?
Vocal nicely clear..but...hehe see below

Cons

Overall not many but;
Celeste delay rhythm not correct
Bass could still have a bit more agressive tape style saturation
Vocal is a little bit distant in terms of reverb. Along with a lot of entries, here it needs to be more upfront with less reverb.
I think you got reverb on quite a few of the instrument tracks. Which culmulatively gives it all a little bit of a 'roomy' sound. For things like the arp synths/acoustic guitar etc I'd dispense with reverb completely and create any space with eq and delays.

Jim Kennedy

Pros

On the whole a good balanced mix, but see below
Vocal treatment is good – unlike some entries the big delay/reverb is there but it's sat back with the direct sound coming through first. Harmonies are very well done. You could really go to town with distortion a bit more with the shouted, 'on a screen' bit at the end.
Drums mixed very nicely – almost there in tems of compression etc. But...see below!

Cons

Celeste delay not right!
Bass could do with a bit more saturation
I found the cymbals/hi-hats to be a bit loud which in turn is making the whole mixc just a bit tinny. Don't think anything else is majorly wrong in terms of eq so it's probably just these which need toning down a bit.
Electronic kick needs to punch through more. As with other entries this probably needs to go in the main drum bus so it really pumps the rest of the drums.

Slick3gz

Pros

Interesting modulation effects at the start and that bitcrushed synth is great!
Vocals nice and clear, if a little 'roomy' as with others
A good attempt at something different in the 'transition part', although the transition from lo-fi needs to be a bit more gradual and smoother

Cons

Whilst I do like the effects on the Celeste, you'd also need to keep the original delayed version as well, as this is the backbone of the track withe the repetition.
I think you've gone for the big compressed drums but haven't adjusted the relative levels afterwards so the hi-hats/cymbals etc are way too loud in comparison with kicks and snare
Bass needs more saturation

Photonic

Pros

Aha, someone's got the bass right! You could push it a litle bit more in terms of saturation, but definitely along the right lines
Drums almost there too. I think that's a good mix if we were treating it as a 'live' kit, but in this case you need to push it a bit further in terms of compression.
Vocal harmonies sound great

Cons

Vocals again have that 'roomy' type of sound rather than a big ambience with delays
Mix overall sounds just a bit trebly- not major but could do with a bit of smoothing
Celeste delay not quite right!

VasDim

Pros

Vocal eq'd well and good use of the additional files (which did need pitch correcting!)

Cons

Celeste delay not correct
Bass seems to be very rumbly at the expense of the drums
There seems to be a lot of reverb on a lot of instruments (or perhaps even overall) which is giving the whole thing a distant 'room' sound. Things like the drums/acoustic need to be right upfront with very subtle reverbs
Mix seems a bit 'fizzy' to me- is there some kind of exciter being used?

Sean Carango

Pros

Not far off on the drums there. Perhaps emphasise the big electronic kick more
Bass is getting there as well, but as with some others really don't be afraid of pushing the saturation
Love how the clap reinforces the rhythm in the last part
Vocals nicely direct, but...see below
Good overall mix for me.

Cons

Celeste delay not right
Vocals are good, but just a bit low in the mix and could do with a touch more top end.

Fix in the mix

Pros

Drums compressed well, but give the snare a bit more upper mid 'bite', and overall the drums seem to be lacking a bit of low end
Vocal reverb done well and harmonies good

Cons

Celeste delay not right
Some of what I'd call 'incidental' sounds are taking precedence in the mix (e.g. the 'bell' like synth) and seem to be louder than the vocal
Mix overall seems to lack a bit of clarity – probably more cutting of low end needed and the balance between bass and drums looking at.

Mork

A brief interlude here, just to inform you that your username made me chuckle – there's a nutter in the pub next to my work (Whispering Don) who constantly tells people he's talking to Mork....
Right, on we go

Pros

Drums very good. Compression really pumping and the balance between them seems to be spot on
Overall the instruments are nicely balanced...but see below
Vocal clear..but see below
I love that little pitch-shifiting effect at the end, nicely disconcerting!

Cons

Celeste delay not right
Bass needs more saturation
Overall seems to be far too much reverb on everything. It's of course a matter of personal taste, and mine is to have things quite direct! A pity because I can tell that this is a good mix otherwise for my taste.
Vocal particularly is swamped in reverb. Again, I can tell it's eq'd/compressed etc well though

Mr Drew

Pros

I think you're closer than most with the celeste
Drums are a good attempt – not too reverby and balanced. Again, the compression could be pushed a lot more.

Cons

Mix balance is quite out -bass is very low with some of the incidental stuff taking a front seat
Vocals are very muffled. This would be a good effect for a section or part, but all the way through it sounds like I'm singing from next door – perish the thought, my neighbours are crazy people!
Mix also lacks high end or 'air' as the big boys like to call it.

Devin Wickens

Pros

Celeste almost there, and the off the wall effects are marvellous!
Like the drums treatment..but see below..
Vocal is quite direct and like the little incidental effects and the crazy delays at the end, but again see below
Bass is great – nicely ripping!

Cons

I think overall the elements of this are really good, it just doesn't all sit together properly at present. Sounds to me like there's a compessor on the mix bus, and it's just a bit too aggressive – you can really hear it on the vocals and crash cymbals for example. It's a pity as I do like what you've done otherwise and you've not been afraid to really push the drums and bass, for example. I think there's plenty of potential here with some refinement.

SRMIX

Pros

I like that in parts you've gone for a slight distortion on the drums
This is quite a different mix than most of the others, focusing on the softer sounds and using small reverbs/delays. Whilst it's not the approach I took, it's interesting nontheless. Perhaps venturing more into 'remix' teritorry.

Cons

Celeste not right!
Bass needs saturation
Vocals are quite muffled and set back.
There seems to be some massive limiting going on as far as I can tell, which robs it of the subtlty which your mix has otherwise, which is a pity.

Studio Saturn

Pros

Celsete almost right!
Drums nicely punchy – the reverb on the snare is good as well, if a bit long. Not really getting much of the electronic kick though
Main vocal very clear..but see below

Cons

The vocal does seem to pump occasionaly as the compression settings seem wrong.
The mix overall is quite nice (perhaps a bit trebly, not by much), but the pad sound seems to be way too loud in that it's drowning out a lot of the other stuff.
As with a lot of the mixes, there's a surfeit of reverb. I'm of the old-skool, in that if you can really notice the reverb, then it's too much!

And as promised, a bit of feedback for Small Ocean, who was a bit late through mis-reading the rules;

Small Ocean

Pros

Celeste almost right
Drums compressed nicely, again the electronic kick perhaps needs to have a bit more impact, but it's not far off
Bass sounding good and like what you've done to make it pump like that
Mix overall has a quite good balanced sound to me, perhaps lacking a bit in the mids, but not unpleasant. But..see below

Cons

There does seem to be some overall pumping going on with the mix- the compressor release settings. It's making the bass sound good but has unpleasant side effects for the rest of the track.
The vocal has nice presence but is quite low in the mix.. You do seem to have got the reverb about right though from what I can hear.
Bad Timekeeping! Sorry..... :grin: