2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC066 February 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC066 February 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Arelem »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 19:41 CET
Actually, not counting the penalty deduction, you "missed out" on 5 points, @Arelem.
  • 1pt lost because of the filename that Soundcloud provided me.
  • 2pts each for the maximum signal peak going over -1dBTP, and the loudness being higher than -14LUFS
  • 1pt penalty for your entry not being downloadable without special means
Else, you would have had top spot. By just pure participation votes, you have 31pts and Treyt has 29pts. The offset is due to the bonus point mechanic.
I might have to start posting a separate link for download because this isn't the first time that the file name from SoundCloud has been an issue despite my ensuring that everything is named correctly prior to uploading. I wouldn't have had the points for LUFS either way, but I did make sure that true peak was under -1 in the final version. Overall though, it's ok (it was my own fault after all). I will just take it as a learning experience.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Ah... the infamous "overloads" caused by encoding into MP3.

This is why, for example, tools like NUGEN Audio MasterCheck exist. Since it shows you possible overshots you might have no control over, even if you have been careful with signal limiting.

Also... File naming is not an issue, if you offer a "direct download". The file is then named like you uploaded. How the link/Song of the Soundcloud player is labeled, is a completely different topic (these things work separately).
Treyt

Post by Treyt »

Just wanted to say that I fully expected Exponent or Arelem to take the W on this one and am very happy (almost weirded out) that I got voted so high. Feel kind of bad winning on a technicality (you guys actually scored Arelem higher than me but I got more bonus points) but I'll also take what I can get lol. I'm grateful for the votes and it means a lot for this hip hop venture to be so well received.

I've selected the Bioscape Kontakt player instrument by Luftrum as my chosen software license.
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

I just want to say thanks to everyone as well as congratulations. This was a super competitive month and everyone did great. As for @Treyt nah man, don't be weirded out. It's a contest and you played it better so you won. The bonus points are part of it. Besides that, you had a great entry. Really, any number of these entries could have won there were so many great ones.

I would like to claim MusicLab's Real Guitar, thank you.

Thanks again to Mr. Fox for putting these challenges on. They are a lot of fun and a great way to get feedback. Also, they help me branch out into new areas that I might not have gone to otherwise.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Congrats to everybody for your entries and the feedback.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Congrats to Treyt and Arelem and everyone who participated, great job all! :clap:

In case I can still choose a different guitar from the amazing MusicLab products as the prize, I'd be honored to get the MusicLab RealEight.

If this is not possible, then I would love to get the HoRNet SongKey MK4 instead.

A lot of respect for Mister Fox for giving us this platform and organizing this :hail: :hug:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for the positive words, everyone.

Unfortunately, if a company has already been selected, it is out of the available pool.

:arrow_right: Please don't forget to send me a PM with your full name and email address (ideally also already the ones you use at the company you selected).
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

All licenses have been addressed.

Thank you for joining SWC066 - I'll leave the door open for additional feedback for the entries. :phones:

See you in SWC067 March 2023