2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Final entry!!!

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

I did some tweaks in the mix. Drum a little less loud, Vocal less heavy effect. I didn't have time to do much work on it because I was and am still very busy with being songprovider voor the MC091 this month. So this is my final version of "A Night Together".

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahp8xH6KRIfbgVxCQxa ... 2?e=F48pda

It felt good to write some music on guitar. I didn't feel like sitting behind a computer and composing staring at a screen. I just recorded some tracks on a portable multitrackrecorder and tried some different things on accoustic guitar before recording it. I uploaded the tracks in Reaper for mixing. I used the Focusrite Voicemaster pro for the vocal (the compressor and EQ are amazing for vocals) and I used the WA Buss for the drumtrack give it more body..... I used some freeware ampsims and stacked them untill I had the sound that was in my head. Dirty fuzzy distorded but with lots of character :-)

Cheers,

Jeroen
Last edited by JeroenZuiderwijk on Mon Apr 24, 2023 09:36 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
The Exponent

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by The Exponent »

Hope you're all doing well!

Since this month's theme is Postcards, I thought of creating my own brief and postcard/cover art using AI tools. I used NightCafe for this one.
The theme/brief I came up with:
A traveler is wandering through a forest during heavy rain. He's so tired due to the journey that he collapses and has a reverie.

I made the song for this month's KVR One Synth Challenge, so everything has been made using just 1 free synth - 4 operator FM synth and only DAW-native or free FX. Everything is MIDI, nothing is bounced/no samples used anywhere (so no issues with copyrights :grin:).

Here's my final submission, I hope you enjoy it!
 ! Bonus Info
DAW: Tracktion Waveform 12 Pro
Synth: Octasine (50 instances)
FX: CocoaDelay, OrilRiver, Supermassive, Compressor, DC1A3, GClip, PeakEater, Flux Mini 2, kHs Transient Shaper, Loudmax, TDR Nova, 8-band EQ, OTT, Panagement, MAutopan, Arpeggiator, MUtility, QuickHaas
Mastering Chain: OAQ, GClip, Kotelnikov, Loudmax
Metering: SPAN, YLM2
 ! Bonus Info
Just to be sure so that I don't get penalties later on, I see that there's a new file naming convention using 2 extra '_' characters. Assuming this is not a typo, I have named my filename accordingly with the 2 extra underscores @Mister Fox.
Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 04:54 CEST
Filename Template (NEW): SWC068__ArtistName__TrackName.wav and/or .mp3
Last edited by The Exponent on Mon Apr 24, 2023 16:40 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today. :phones:

And to make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links (final version), or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Thank you.
bedlamward

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by bedlamward »

https://on.soundcloud.com/4xA3c hope this is correct . trying to enter swc068 postcard theme .
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

The link is working, @bedlamward.
Please also update your post with additional documentation and make the file downloadable.

We're in the final 5 hours of submitting your entry, everyone.
canese

Post by canese »

Hello guys,

This is my track for this month's competition. I hope you like it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jKxlDu ... sp=sharing

I started with some synths, the main chord progression, and a melody. The synths are from Lunaris. Arturia and Massive X. The song structure is a little bit unusual, has 4 parts (A, B, C, and D) A starts slow, then has a part B, and now that Is finished, seems a little bit of the other parts, it has other elements that maybe are to forced(like the choir). Part C is a build-up that I like, the melody perhaps is not that strong but all the rest of the elements add to a nice climax. The ending resolves very nicely but I think maybe it's too much with the drums that weren't there the rest of the song.
Drums are samples from the internet and the kick is from kick 2. The bass is a sampled bass and the voices are from a sample downloaded from youtube.
I wanted to create the feeling of a lonely journey. When I was younger I traveled to east Europe alone and hitchhiked for a month by myself. It inspired so many memories and I took some of them to write this piece. Also, I was inspired by a history of a man that biked from the USA to South America and arrived last week in my country.

Cheers.
Last edited by canese on Wed Apr 26, 2023 14:37 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th April 2023, 00:50 UTC+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

Apologies for closing this one out so late.

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 11 submissions this month (2 entries less than last month, but also 2 more than April 2022)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-APR-2023 00:10 UTC+1/CET)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been withdrawn (one counts as entry within the deadline, one has been completely removed and not added to the total entry amount)
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are accessible and downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 11 official participants. We are adapting the overhauled vote mechanic, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)
(Info: I am aware that the Rule Book has not been properly updated yet. Time constraints, apologies for the inconvenience)

Summarized:
 ! Bonus Info
  • Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 5 entries.
  • You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max), what you have learned, what you would like to do different in the future, etc. (personal growth)
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least five (number: 5) entries that either stood out to you and you would like to provide some additional final thoughts, or where you could provide constructive feedback for possible improvements. To add to the learning experience of our community, it is recommended that these entries are outside of your personal "top entry" voting.
  • Have the chance to get additional bonus points if you decide to invest the time to provide more constructive feedback than the requested minimum. It must be more than just "nice production, please keep up the good work" however. This is to boost more interaction and can balance out your overall points on the score sheet. (get 1 point if you give constructive feedback to 2-3 more people, get 2 points if you give helpful feedback for everyone)
  • The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking.
  • The overall "Bonus Point" mechanic still applies. Please update your posts with proper production documentation, most notably regarding whom you have collaborated with (as in: proper credits -- not doing so will result in a 2pt deduction on the score sheet at the end of the game). You got until the voting period has ended.
Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode (button on the WYSIWYG editor that features the orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it). Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

The staff (Mister Fox) will not give feedback to all entries and/or cast a vote this month.

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Voting until 01-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Monday, 01-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 15:31 CEST
"What's Expected From Me"

Arelem wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 05:24 CEST
"Gasoline"

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 18:06 CEST
"All Night Together"

WAV: OneDrive playback and download

Link to follow-up post (but same download link) can be found here
Doc Jon wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 23:23 CEST
"Maybe I'll Send You A Postcard"

KukoBass wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 13:00 CEST
"Postcards"

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
Mellow Browne wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 22:53 CEST
"Vacation"

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 00:06 CEST
"Postal De Les Vacances Dels 80"

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 18:18 CEST
"Postcards from around the World"

BONUS VIDEO:
► Show Spoiler
The Exponent wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 03:48 CEST
"Reverie"

bedlamward wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 07:55 CEST
"Green"

ADMIN INFO: File can not be downloaded
canese wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 23:59 CEST
"Journey to the top"

WITHDRAWN (not participating - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no withdrawn entries>

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page or on Discord.

Post updated: 25-APR-2023 02:20 UTC+2/CEST
canese

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Voting until 01-MAY-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by canese »

I like this monthly theme-free genre competition. It's nice to work on the type of music you are most comfortable with, from time to time. I wanted to create some ambient epic journey song that would take the listener to discover his or her most deep sell but in a kind way, not too formal and strict. I think I managed to create in some way my goal, but I started too late, and there are many things I would change now with a second listen.

A Future In Noise
WhatsExpectedFromMe
Good song, it could be polished a little bit. Like vocal tuning and the ending could be different, it was unexpected.

Arelem
Arelem Gasoline
Niceee lml. I love it. Great energy. Good production, structure, melodies, harmonies, and rhythms.

JeroenZuiderwijk
All Night Together
I like the vibe! The first part is more interesting than the 2nd one, the one before the vocals. Good singing. The only thing that can improve a lot is mixing. Mainly of the drums and guitars, they seem thin and distant. I would love to hear more power and splash in the main riff, maybe less compression on drums and a different distortion in guitars would help.

Doc Jon

Maybe I'll Send You A Postcard
Wow, I can’t believe the world we live in. I thought I was listening to a real vocal recording. This is amazing, the vibe and everything. The ’80s are well-represented here.

KukoBass
Postcards
Chill vibes I get from listening to this. Is very tranquil. I like it. Maybe the drums are too repetitive for me. I would love to hear more articulation and dynamics. The vocals are way loud and they are not centered, somehow that botters my ear a little bit.

Mellow Browne
Vacation
Good vibes here. I like the e-guitar melodies. The rest of the elements seem soulless like programmed or played by a bot. Maybe adding more dynamics and less quantification to the grid will help. The mix is nice, drums are a little bit dry and harsh. I’m lacking some warmness in the 200-500 Hz range.

Esteve Corbera
Postal De Les Vacances Dels 80
I like it. Very nice chords and synth selection. I would listen to this while working or studying.

György Becsei
Postcards from around the World
OMG, this hits hard. I jump to this at a festival. Excellent track.

The Exponent
"Reverie"
Great piece of art and production. Amazing what can be done with 1 synth only. I like your style, maybe because it reminds me of what I also attend to create. It’s like a journey, an adventure, and a discovery of sounds.

bedlam ward
"Green"
Very cool. I would use this in a retro video game. The mix could improve a lot. The bass is too loud, voice and synth could be improved in volume and textures (delay and reverb).

Vote:
► Show Spoiler
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Doc Jon wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 23:23 CEST

Hello everyone, it's good to be back again after more than a year
The photo inspired me to write a song about someone escaping from a bad relationship and starting a new life
My chosen genre is retro 80s style
It also gave me the chance to use the amazing Synthesizer V by Dreamtonics which I had recently discovered by chance, and which, with a bit of careful programming, can produce jaw-droppingly realistic vocals

Lyrics
► Show Spoiler
DAW - Cubase 12 Pro
Instruments - Retrologue and Tone2 Saurus, very little processing -> just a bit of delay and reverb send on some tracks
Funk Guitar - Scarbee Funk Guitarist (Kontakt 7) -> Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6
Drums and percussion - Superior Drummer 3 (707 kit) -> IK Multimedia Black 76
Vocals - Solaria (Dreamtonics Synthesizer V) -> iZotope Nectar 3
iZotope Ozone 10 on the Master Output

Loudness - Integrated -14.44 LUFS
True Peak -1.04
https://lufs.org/
Unbelievable how good of a fit those synthesised vocals are for the track. I had to check your post to see if you got the vocals from the internet or a you got a friend to sing for you so I was really surprised with how realistic they sound! Cheers