2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 071 - July 2023

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official and very simple "Rules and Guidelines" (TL;DR version) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/re-submission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.
  • The general idea of this game is to "...just make music", to also challenge yourself by stepping a bit out of your comfort zone, and take a dip at realms you've never worked in before. Instrumentals are just as welcome as productions with vocals.
  • The Genre and "Premise" of this months challenge can be found in in post #002
  • Filename Template (Important): SWC071__ArtistName__TrackName.wav or .mp3
    • example: SWC071__MisterFox__ColorOfTheSky.wav
    • example: SWC071__Mister_Fox__Color_of_the_sky.wav
Read more about this month's competition further down below. And if you got any question, please also reach out on Discord.

:arrow_right: SONGWRITING COMPETITION THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, Sponsors
Post #003 -- Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (limited if genre is "free to select")
Post #040 -- Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Post #059 -- Results: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Saturday, 01st July 2023 to Monday, 24th July 2023 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-JUL-2023, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord. Does the game time frame feel too long? Why not set a personal shorter one of 5-7 days absolute max to push yourself to focus on the essentials, then use the rest of the time to ask for feedback and possible refinements. :idea:

SONGWRITING THEME: "Video Game Soundtrack - See you, Space Cowboy"
GENRE: (Video Game) Soundtrack

Image Source: Mix Challenge, created through AI image generation with craiyon.com, released under Berne Convention

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote: A small group of (fictional) Indie Developers reached out on the internet, looking for songwriters for their upcoming game. They are new in the field, yet highly motivated. They provided an extensive game universe overview, and have certain ideas how things should sound.

:arrow_right: There is a TXT file available with a more detailed "brief".

And for the first time ever, also visuals of possible character designs and environments, for additional inspiration.
You can find the material under the following link:
SWC071 Video Game Soundtrack Visuals Pack - on the Mix Challenge server (2,11 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)

Indie Developer Game Company wrote: It's the far future. Humanity has spread throughout the galaxy, as most of their home worlds have eventually become uninhabitable and wastelands. You are playing a lone wolf (m/f/other), trying to get by in these harsh environments that change between sandstorms and scorching heat, to the cold depths of space.

<text has been abbreviated for readability>

What we look for:
Being fans of the western genre of both old and new, we are not against a modern flair with music. So if you want to use synthesizers, blended with orchestras, please go ahead.

What is a absolute must for us though, are guitars. This might sound cliche, be do want to hear slide guitars. May it be acoustic or electric. We're also not against brushed drums, or using "ye olde Washboard" as instrument.

Although we do ask you to not(!) add any vocals, as this would set a certain "language", and we want to keep the game accessible to everyone, no matter the country of origin. Humming or whistling is okay. Female voices are absolutely welcome!

The tone should be semi-serious. This doesn't mean that the music can't be funny ever so often. Surprise us. Overall, we're looking for a blend of atmosphere, and a sense of (upbeat) adventure. Runtime for the songs: try to shoot between 3 to 6 minutes. If the songs can loop, even better.

We look forward to your ideas, and hope to start a collaboration after this!

Thank you!

- the dev team
<fictional company>

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in the (Video Game) Soundtrack genre.

Please read the provided "brief", as it gives you a roadmap as to what the developers are looking for. Most notably on the use of guitars, and the request to "not set a language" by adding vocals (exceptions apply). The production should ideally have a running time between 3:00 and 6:00 minutes. It should be able to stand alone (e.g. with intro/outro), but also be listened to in a loop.

The sub-genre is up to you. You can mix things how you seem fit. The clients will tell you if you have to tone it down a notch, or not.

This will be no easy task yet again. But I'm looking forward to listening to your productions.
Have fun! :headphones:

! Bonus Info
This month, I am adding an additional twist to the game by trying to simulate the interaction between a company (reaching out to songwriters) and you as musician (providing your musical talent). Something that would happen, if you were for instance booked for/looking to be hired for writing material for a commercial, a promo video, or a short film, etc.

I will act as both the "clients" and technical aide (staff), but will make clear what is what in each post. My "technical feedback" will still give you hints where to maybe improve on your mix. I have to be brief in terms of feedback, most notably due to time constraints. Unfortunately, I am only able to do this once per participant throughout the submission period. With my last initial feedback arriving on the 21st of the month latest (a bit more than 3 days prior to the end of the game).

Your focus should therefore be on providing a finished, coherent and good sounding production, presenting your current skills. No "sketches", no "will finish later" releases, please. You have one chance to get valuable feedback - after that, it is down to general community interaction.

This "special" SWC offers a unique learning experience, where you can only win from - no matter if you may take a step on the podium or not. It is highly recommended to join early on, so you can gather constructive feedback in a timely manner and refine your work until the deadline has been reached.

Additionally, if we exceed(!!!) 20 participants this month (as in: 21 or more), I am opening up the Winners Podium to a 5-position podium as one time exclusive deal.

Please spread the word! And don't be shy to join the game.

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):

Cherry Audio, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, JRR Sounds, kv331 audio, Luftrum, Musiclab, Rekkerd Sounds, satyatunes - Sound / Graphic Design, and Tone2.

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

Additional Articles on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_music
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americana_(music)

Music examples (selection for inspiration, 12 collections and videos):
► Show Spoiler

Slide Guitar Basics and Tricks: (assorted, 04 individual videos, 02 blog articles)
► Show Spoiler

Please also check in with the following threads in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Places to fuel your GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) (the starting point if you're in need of audio tools -- from free to affordable).

if you're new to/need help with songwriting - please check out the following tools:
► Show Spoiler

More tools of the trade
► Show Spoiler

UPDATED: 30-JUN-2023 23:20 UTC+2, updated 01-JUL-2023 02:25 UTC+2
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
License Sponsors Musiclab are kind enough to offer an extension/renewal of their instrument demo period.

This is a special offer for SWC071 / July 2023. If you've already used up your demo time (14 days), and want to take another look at the Musiclab guitars, or if you are in the middle of testing the software/songwriting for SWC071, but the demo timer is about to run out, you can kindly request a prolongation.

This is how it works:
  • Please reach out to Musiclab via their support request form
  • as subject, please use "Requesting trial period prolongation"
  • as text, please write "I am kindly requesting a trial period extension for <your full name> as part of the Mix Challenge audio community collaboration (SWC071 / July 2023).", please also copy this game thread link and paste it into the text message
  • Musiclab need the following information from you
    • full name and email address of the person requesting the extension (as in: you)
    • computer model, OS and DAW version
    • Real instrument model and version (e.g. RealStrat, version 6.1.0.7549)
The turnaround should be within 24 hours on workdays. Please be patient, and please check your spam filters.

If you want to use the Musiclab instruments as "slide guitar", you can do so with the "Slider FX" option in Multi-Mode > Velocity FX > Hi velo. You can additionally also use the available "Slide FX" keyswitches.

Here is a video explaining the "Slider" mechanic in detail (time-stamped):

phpBB [media]

Example is explained with with RealGuitar, however this works in every "Real Instrument" engine!
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Arelem »

Hello All,

Here is my entry for this month's challenge. I'm not really a fan of the country genres, but I thought I'd still try my hand at it. I think it turned out pretty good.
EDIT: I adjusted the mix levels and some panning on some of the elements as well as doubling the guitars and panning them. I also added in a bit more variation but I didn't want to go too far with it. In my experience, video game music is a bit repetitive because it is there to support the gameplay, not distract from it. I did try and have each section be just a little different from the others to help it from becoming boring and to keep it interesting enough when listening in isolation. I'll keep my first version linked below in case anyone wants to compare.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q5WvIB ... drive_link

First Version: Details:
DAW: FL Studio

The drums and claps are done with AbbeyRoad Vintage Drummer
There are some additional clap samples layered in as well and a brushed snare sample used in different parts
The strumming guitar is done with Strummed Acoustic 2
The bass is a Kontakt instrument Upright Bass
The lead/slide guitars are samples downloaded from Splice

Effects:
The drums are EQ'd and compressed with Neutron 4, and Neoverb used for a room effect
The guitars are all processed with Amplitube 5 and Neutron 4. The leads are double-tracked with a slight timing offset and panned.
The bass has Neutron 4 for compression and EQ
Last edited by Arelem on Thu Jul 20, 2023 05:01 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: The devs wrote:
Indie Developers wrote: Hi there, @Arelem

Thank you so much for this proposal. This instantly gave us some "Happy-go-lucky" vibes that can either be associated with a race, a barfight, or playing cards. And while it feels a bit repetitive, it does suit the ideas we're going for. Good job so far.

We would still love to have a slight bit more variation. We also think the guitars feel a bit too much "pushed back" while the claps and stomps are a bit overpowering. This has a nice effect overall, but maybe try a little big of balance.

Other than that, please keep it up - let's see where the road takes us.

:arrow_right: Staff Commentary:

First and foremost, this is a strong start and you already set the bar quite high for follow-up posts. I'd still love to know already what you used for the "slide guitars". Did you play them yourself? Did you use samples? Just to be on the safe side regarding the topic construction kit.

Else, yes... I agree with "the devs" here. The balance is a little bit off. Not by much, mind you. I'd maybe pull up the strummed guitars by just a bit so that they're more prominent on small speakers. Or push the upper midrange just a smidge (so that they cut through the mix more). The claps and stomps feel a bit too dry, while the lead slide guitar is "pushed back" due to the room sound of the speaker cabinet. Maybe reduce that just a tiny bit (e.g. - if the mix of the reverb is 60:40 dry/wet, maybe try 70:30 dry/wet). This is all a matter of taste, of course.

I also listened on old "boomy" headphones. Here you hear the used reverb more clearly. The stomps and claps are far from being "dry" actually. But the used rooms clash with each other. The guitars also feel a bit too centered (mono). I have an idea for the concept (especially for "computer speakers" and mono compatibility), but once the bass, guitar strumming and slide guitars are playing alongside the percussion section, things feel like being "folded together". Here you can still experiment just a tad (IMHO). Doesn't mean that the stereo field needs to be "super wide" - not at all!

Overall - amazing starting point, even if you can hear when the "guitar loops" set in.

Great to read that you tried your hand at this genre. :thumbsup:
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:37 CEST
First and foremost, this is a strong start and you already set the bar quite high for follow-up posts. I'd still love to know already what you used for the "slide guitars". Did you play them yourself? Did you use samples?
Hello Mister Fox,

The slide guitars are done using various samples that I processed and fit together. I haven't played guitar in almost 20 years and programming them in with VST just wasn't giving me the results I wanted. Thanks for the feedback, and I'll work on the mix there. I do also have a bad habit of forgetting about the stereo field and proper panning so I will work on that too.
canese

Post by canese »

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/i30r4qsy ... ryyw1&dl=0

I love the monthly theme! It's my kind of vibe. I wanted to create an ambiance of mystery and space, but also cozy and lonely. I was very inspired by the soundtrack of the game Grim Dawn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63YI3ux ... D9fnlXK_qq

Track was made in FL studio. Guitars are from Music lab, both acoustic and electric. Bass and atmos are from bioscape. Some other elements are from Arturia V. Strings from Fl Studio. The samples are from all over the internet.

My doubts are in the song structure. It Now has ABCB'DA structure. I don't know if I must replay part C somewhere again. Or drop/change that first B part, because afterward, it develops again in a longer timeframe.
Mix-wise I've done it quickly because I don't have much time now, I don't know if it's in the right direction.
Other things I want to improve, now that I hear it again: More SFX for transitions, maybe more atmos in the intro and outro, some percussions are too tight and still, I want more dynamics. Less sustain and duration of the strings at the end.

Looking forward to hear from the team.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: The devs wrote:
Indie Developers wrote: Hi there, @canese

Thank you so much for this proposal. Very interesting, laid back, brooding in places even. We already have ideas where this could fit into our story telling. We also like the idea, that this is not your go-to "looping" music, but it's actually evolving through time.

Although, we're a bit aghast at the change of speed from... what you call "Section A" to "Section B". Maybe more consistency would work. We also notice that you're using samples... the guitar doesn't sound that natural to us (the pitching). I understand where this is going, but guitars are important to us, so there should be special focus on that end.

Speaking of... We also have a feeling, that the guitar is in a different space than the rest of the music. We hope that the final product will be more balanced out, so that one can hear individual parts a bit better. And we're sad that the music just cuts off.

Please keep at it -- we do want to hear a finished product.

:arrow_right: Staff Commentary:

I once more notice, that your filename is WhatsApp Audio.mp3, and I start to wonder why that is the case. So the first thing I'd like to point out... don't forget to use a proper filename in the end.

The route you went to so far is quite interesting. It has it's own character, it fits the concept of the game. But you do need to put some work into it still. As in: not just cut off the audio, find a balance of instruments (I know the flaws of RealGuitar sounding a bit "out of place", which can be prevented with proper EQ in the low-mid range, which also removes the "boxy room" feeling), and you definitely need to work on the triggered FX of the guitar, especially if you want to add more realism.

For this, I can offer you two tutorial videos for the Real Instruments:
Tutorial. Key Switches Solo Mode Walkthrough
Tutorial. Creating Vibrato and Bend via MIDI CC#1 Automation in Cubase (check the 4:45min mark, works in all DAWs)

I have a vague idea on the Electric Guitar (which is merely support), but the acoustic guitar needs some more care and maybe a different room. After it was properly EQ'd and maybe slightly compressed.

Please keep at it. You've got something good on your hands.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Quick request for @Arelem.

You really set the bar high for everyone. Could you please post a screenshot of your guitar edits, and also mention where the samples/loops came from? Just out of curiosity - thanks.

Other than that... there are 14 days left on the clock.
Have fun!