2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Pity that most of you decided to not show a progress from "WIP" to finished product. Guess that is something to specify for a future game of similar kind.

Just a quick one:

@Blang -- even though the time ran out for "client feedback", I will still try to give your entry a quick listen within the hour. This will however be the final entry that I will give feedback to prior to the deadline and the voting process. Just as a reminder, keep the filename template in mind (especially the underscores - aka _ )

@canese -- will you update your edit and also fix your filename?

@VCA-089 -- I did not specifically ask for a tutorial. Just recording your DAW playing while you have the MIDI events and RealLPC open would already be considered a "show and tell". This was only a suggestion however.

:arrow_right: Other than that...
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today. :phones:

And to make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links (final version), or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Thank you.

We have 8 entries so far. :headphones:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Hi @Blang

I will not simulate the "clients" -- I'm pretty sure they like your edit, and you covered the theme quite nicely.

Just some technical observations.

:arrow_right: Staff Commentary:

You really went hard on the 1960s Western stlye, and that clearly shows. Including fine details on how to barely drive the guitar amp to get the "twangy" tone from that time, that that good old cliche whistling (which feels like a bowed saw meets theremin). You also clearly help back on the occasional "HAH!" throw-ins. I like the gradual crescendo of instruments, although towards the end, things start to clash a bit (this is most apparent on small speakers). I also don't hear a bass on that setup (well, no wonder - it's part of the orchestra double bass).

On studio headphones (almost 2 decade old Beyerdynamic DT990), that's a different experience. Suddenly the bass is there - from three layers even (double bass, sub bass and timpani). However, the drum section towards the end of the song feels washed out, which only gets worse the more the song builds up (to a point where the mix feels muddy and distorted -- your carefully crafted guitar layers unfortunately vanish as well). On headphones, the strings and (if you used any) brass section starts to feel a bit synthetic towards the end, slight EQ and reverb adjustments could maybe help.

But the overall feel is what is important - and that is definitely there. Could work as a cutscene, title theme, ending... good job.
Maybe you still find a way for fine adjustments.

...and that's it. The final review I can provide prior to the voting process.
Looking forward to the "last minute" releases :headphones:
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

Mix adjustments made, most sound effects removed and bass sound swapped to an upright bass
I have updated my original post with the new version :tu:
Blang

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Blang »

Thanks @Mister Fox for still giving some feedback. Is sure would've like to submit it sooner, but I only saw and started the challenge on friday.

So I cleared up some mud (lows and lo-mids) in pretty much all elements in the finale. Reduced the tail of the snare. Made the sub bass duck and dance a lil' kit on the kick and snare. Made some guitar licks pop out a bit more.

The artificialness in the end prob came from the higher brass. So now I muted the highest octave in that spot and did some more midi timing and expression tweaking. (It may have also been the blend of the fuzz guitar with the orchestra). Anyhow, in this case I don't think it's a bit thing if it sounds a bit artificial at times; let's call it futuristic :P

Here's is my final version of 'A Fistful of Spaghetti'
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nKowDc ... sp=sharing

Also updated my initial post with the current link.

Cheerio,
Blang
kathimaru

Post by kathimaru »

I kind of just discovered this competition and I'm probably really late to the party,
but I thought I'd participate anyway.

I used spitfire labs for the choir, bought a slide, and tried to play with it.
samples are my trying my hand at guitar again after a long time.
can't wait to see what everyone submits!

Here's mine:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xumyGQ ... drive_link
-dsf-

Post by -dsf- »

Hello, I'm also very late but I submit my attempt. I'm basically new to this forum.
Here is my final submission:
(mp3)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-svQWt ... drive_link
(flac)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1729V2_ ... drive_link

Some details:
It was composed in Reaper using Musiclab RealGuitar and Spitfire BBC SO for orchestral bits and EZ drummer for drums, the overtone flute is the only real thing :) Plus some other plugins were used for mixing.
I think it is quite straightforward music that can bee easily looped.
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Hi Mr. Fox,

thank you for the time to listen to this on different setups and your feedback.
Mister Fox wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 02:56 CEST
:arrow_right: The devs wrote:
Indie Developers wrote: ...
Although we would kindly ask you to maybe get back and address some volume issues. Namely the lead synth, and some of the sound effects you've used. They are sticking out a bit too much for our taste. And while we see that your song can easily loop (which is a bonus task), we still miss a certain start/end.
I've added an ending now. The loop would begin around 0:19 in the song, where the sub bass sets in.
Mister Fox wrote:
:arrow_right: Staff Commentary:

As usual, I've listened on small speakers (2" PC speakers) first before taking another deep dive with studio headphones. I indeed kindly ask you to get back to the mix and do some minor adjustments. The lead synth is going a bit wild on small speakers. The sound effects are definitely creative and not distracting, if they weren't too loud.

Basically, your focus is "synthesizer, drums and sound effects", while actually letting your guitar work drown out. If I were to mix this, I'd pull up the strumming guitar (NI Session Guitarist Strummed Acoustic ) and give it more focus as rhythmic element.

Listening on headphones, I have a similar impression... synths and sound effects too loud, while the rest sadly drowns out a bit. But here, I can hear more of the bass, and actually your slide guitar. Since my headphones have more low end, and actually emphasize the sound effects, maybe frequency limit them a bit (so that they fit in more). Other than that - feature your guitar work!
I started to adjust the mix, but could not get the result I had in mind. So I started the mix from scratch, starting with the "pink noise method". I hope I didn't make it worse in the process. I've updated my first post with the final version and also explanations what I changed from the WIP-Version.
Mister Fox wrote:
Oh and... regarding a "bottleneck"... a straight shot glass or another sizeable cylindrical object would work as well. I can currently not imagine how your spoon/pencil setup would work (other than one being a spacer, and the other being the "bottleneck").
I used a pen and a spoon alternating as replacement for the missing bottleneck; the spoon for the low slide guitar and the pen for the higher part.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hello,

I have updated the first post (https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 232#p15232) and there I have left you the final version of my track for this month.
The idea was to make a soundtrack that would accompany the game but not distract.
Tell me what you think.
Thank you so much

Esteve

https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 232#p15232
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th July 2023, 00:15 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 10 submissions this month (1 entry less than last month, and also 1 entry less than July 2022)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-JUN-2023 00:45 UTC+2/CEST)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been withdrawn
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply -- but special game mechanics do apply
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are accessible and downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 10 official participants. We are adapting the overhauled vote mechanic, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)
(Info: I am aware that the Rule Book has not been properly updated yet. Time constraints, apologies for the inconvenience)

Summarized:
 ! Bonus Info
  • Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 5 entries (tiered mechanic).
  • You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max), what you have learned, what you would like to do different in the future, etc. (personal growth)
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least five (number: 5) entries (tiered mechanic) that either stood out to you and you would like to provide some additional final thoughts, or where you could provide constructive feedback for possible improvements. To add to the learning experience of our community, it is recommended that these entries are outside of your personal "top entry" voting.
  • Have the chance to get additional bonus points if you decide to invest the time to provide more constructive feedback than the requested minimum. It must be more than just "nice production, please keep up the good work" however. This is to boost more interaction and can balance out your overall points on the score sheet. (get 1 point if you give constructive feedback to 2-3 more people, get 2 points if you give helpful feedback for everyone)
  • The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking.
  • The overall "Bonus Point" mechanic still applies. Please update your posts with proper production documentation, most notably regarding whom you have collaborated with (as in: proper credits -- not doing so will result in a 2pt deduction on the score sheet at the end of the game). You got until the voting period has ended.
Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode (button on the WYSIWYG editor that features the orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it). Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

The staff (Mister Fox) will give some additional final feedback to each entry. The votes for all top entries will have a 2x modifier.

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please make sure your files are accessible, and please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Voting until 01-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Tuesday, 01-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

Arelem wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 02:59 CEST
"Sunday Morning"

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
canese wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 14:41 CEST
"<no name>"

MPEG Audio: Dropbox playback and download
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 13:56 CEST
"WesternEspacial"

Doc Jon wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 00:44 CEST
"A Fistful Of Space Dollars"

lxm.labxmusic wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 03:09 CEST
"Fly With Me"

WAV: Dropbox playback and download
VCA-089 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 23:34 CEST
"The Wild Wasteland World"

MP3: Google Drive playback and download

BONUS VIDEO:
► Show Spoiler
KukoBass wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 23:50 CEST
"New Frontier In The West"

Blang wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 15:38 CEST
"A Fistful of Spaghetti"

kathimaru wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 17:22 CEST
"Deadlands"

-dsf- wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 19:55 CEST
"Don't Look Back"

FLAC: Google Drive playback and download
MP3: Google Drive playback and download

WITHDRAWN (not participating - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no withdrawn entries>

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page or on Discord.

Post updated: 25-JUL-2023 05:13 UTC+2/CEST