2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 17:17 CEST
Also... shout out to old Steinberg Virtual Guitarist. I'm surprised you could still get this to run in Cubase 12. :thinking:
jBridge keeps it alive :tu:
Every time I update Cubase I think 'will it still work??' and so far it has with no problems
lxm.labxmusic

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by lxm.labxmusic »

(UPDATED)

Here's my entry for this Space Cowboy Project.
LXM - Fly With Me
Download Link > https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/m0b4j84z ... pdljjecg2i

Since it's gonna be a soundtrack, I went with a western + modern sci-fi/ epic/ cinematic style.
I'm also a huge fan of the video games 'Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2', and the similarly-themed TV Show 'The Mandalorian'.
This month's challenge is definitely interesting and fun!

Here are the tools I used:
DAW: FL Studio 21
Drums - NI Action Strikes Kontakt Library
Strings - Heavyocity Staccato Strings free Kontakt Library
Acoustic Guitar - SampleTank4 American Acoustic
Electric Guitar - NI Electric Mint Library
Flute - Edirol Orchestral
Brass - NI Kontakt 7 Factory Library
Choir - NI Kontakt 7 Factory Library
Pad - Vital
Reese Bass - Vital
FX Samples are mostly from Ghosthack FX packs, Cymatics and Splice.

For FX, Mixing & Mastering:
T-RackS bundle by IK Multimedia
Guitar Rig 6 by NI
Toneboosters EQ4
KClip by Kazrog
FL Studio stock plugins
Integrated LUFS: -14.6

Artwork by Markmo (Prompt Hunt)

Fun fact: My initial guitar notes were coincidentally identical to those in Doc Jon's song, so I had to switch it up. :lol:
Last edited by lxm.labxmusic on Sun Jul 23, 2023 23:05 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: The devs wrote:
Indie Developers wrote: Hi there, @lxm.labxmusic

Thank you so much for this proposal. We're currently a bit surprised on the scope of overall sound with this song, as this has a very strong sense of "epic feeling". Not what we expected, but it could still work as a title theme, or even a promo trailer.

Aside from the fact, that we can't provide any further feedback after your initial proposal, we do hope that the final creation will feature more focus on guitars, and that there is more interesting content over the requested runtime.

Interesting offer so far - but we'd need to hear a full version prior to properly commenting. Good luck!

:arrow_right: Staff Commentary:

I sadly can't give that much feedback towards your production, since you sadly only provided "a teaser", not a finished product. So I can't comment on details of the mix (which is currently fine, aside from the super loud "epic transitions"). Which brings me to the next part.

If this will be your final entry, it is too short. Please check in with the brief on the topic of runtime, and what the client would like to hear. I understand that you wanted to mark out the area, see if you're on the right track. But unlike the last games where you got feedback twice, you basically just wasted possible valuable commentary. You still got about 4 days - let's see what you can make out of that.

Also please don't forget, to make your entry downloadable.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

phpBB [media]

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z9ZdYE ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qov5d2 ... sp=sharing

"For centuries people were trying to reach the stars. They were thinking it's their salvation. Unlimited resources, unlimited energy, unlimited space to live and thrive... And now we live in a world where poverty, slave labor, bandits, bootleggers, greedy corporations, wild native tribes and extreme conditions are normal daily things. It's interesting how insistently Humanity was fighting its nightmares, but led itself right into their jaws in the end...
...And who are you? A brave adventurer who is capable enough to withstand the dangers of this world, or just another poser with the cowboy's hat on your empty head..."

I tried to create something retro-sounding, like a typical "spaghetti western" theme but with a slight touch of 70's electronica. I'm not a big fan of western stylistics (but I do like "Red Dead Redemption"), but I like sci-fi and some crazy combinations of different settings. I'm also not a fan of that "big Hollywood orchestra" sound with chanting choirs and over the top epic, instead I tried to make a late 90's style game soundtrack with MIDI orchestra and lo-fi samples. This month's theme has sparked my imagination and I couldn't let myself pass on it.

Instruments & techniques:

1. The orchestral sounds (bass strings, marimba, glockenspiel and trumpets) as well as percussion (bass drum, snare drum, cymbals, timpani, guiro, triangle, tambourine and chimes) are coming from VSCO2 Rompler;
2. Mellotron style choirs and strings are from Audiolatry "MEL-Lofi";
3. The bass guitar is Ample Sound "Bass P Lite II";
4. The electric guitar is MusicLab "RealLPC";
5. Full bucket's "Deputy" and "ModulAir" are used for intro soundscape, one for the pad, one for the synthetic wind. Both sounds are sent to Valhalla "FreqEcho" that creates an eerie atmosphere;
6. Two instances of Cherry Audio's "PS-20" used to create a sequences in the outro. There is also an instance of "Polymode" that creates a phasing texture.

Technical details:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by VCA-089 on Sun Jul 23, 2023 20:14 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Indie Developers wrote: Hi there, @VCA-089

Thank you so much for this proposal. A very interesting approach to the brief, very ambient heavy, which could fit into a story section or more quiet game parts.

While we absolutely adore the guitar work, and the later "Blade Runner"-esque synth work, we're a bit undecided on the used drum sound. This feels a bit distant and out of place. Please don't get us wrong here, but the drums really feel like a placeholder and is our only major complaint.

Amazing work otherwise, we're looking forward to your final product

I've been listening to this song on loop for about 5 times now, and I must admit... you really let the Musiclab Real Instruments shine in this production. Although certain melodic phrases (especially in the beginning) have a bit too much vibrato, and you can clearly hear once it sets in. This is all down to fine-tuning and "feel". However, outstanding work.

I am not really a fan of the drums... I get the overall concept of your mix, it is very 1960s inspired (especially the fixed offset bass and guitar placement). But the drums and percussion work are sticking out like a sore thumb, even feel artificial with this reverb. Especially on small speakers. You should maybe take another look, and maybe try a more "mellow" reverb rather than the current "bright" sound.

Another thing of note... yes, Ample Bass P Lite is there... but I only hear it on headphones, not on small PC speakers.

A final request for you specifically, @VCA-089 -- please focus with your final mix only on 1 to 2 file formats. As the brief mentions, WAV is preferred. And if you're working on another video... maybe don't use a stock photo or stock videos this time around... why not record your DAW and show off your used VSTi? Most notably, RealLPC, to add to the learning aspect for the community. How does that sound?

Looking forward to the final mix.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:

Today is the final day to get your material submitted and still receive feedback by "the clients". Every entry that is submitted until 21-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST will still receive feedback from both "the devs" and me. The commentary to these entries will arrive during Saturday, 22-JUL-2023 latest, so that you still have enough time to make adjustments.

I highly recommend to use this opportunity.
User interaction is also highly encouraged after "the clients" basically "ran out of time".

Including today, 4 more days for your entry.
Have fun! :headphones:
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Post by KukoBass »

Hello everybody,

first I'd like to thank Mr. Fox for organizing this and taking so much time to simulate a developer-writer-interaction.

This is my final version of the song for this month's competition:

It started as a simple country song but got pretty busy. If I had more time (and talent), I'd delete some of the instruments, or I'd try to give the elements more space.

Brushed Drums: Sample pack "Brushed Drums 2" from Yurtrock
Effect Drums: Hevyocity Evolve Mutations 2
Drum Bus: Hornet MulticompPlus MK2

Strummed guitar: Native Instruments Session Guitarist Strummed Acoustic
Edit:
I added Ableton Live EQEight to cut off the low end and give the guitars a slight boost around 1 kHz.

Melody: KV331 Synthmaster 2 "Do What U Want ResoSweep"

Bass: IK Multimedia Modo Bass 2, 60's P-Bass
Sub-Bass: KV331 Synthmaster 2 "BAS CleanDistort GD"

Slide Guitar: Played by me on my Line6 Variax, using a spoon and a pen in place of a bottleneck (which I unfortunately don't own).
I was on holiday and had no access to my guitar until yesterday, so the slide guitar recording was quite rushed.
The guitar goes through IK Multimedia Amplitube (Rox Chorus, Engl E650 amp, Engl E412 Pro XXL box, Dynamic 57 and Condenser 87 microphones), an Ableton Live EQEight and the Ableton Live Gate to cut off the buzzing noise from the virtual amp setup.
Edit: I added Klevgrand Brusfri after Amplitube to minimize the buzzing noise from the virtual amp.

Ambience sounds at the very beginning: Recording of the sounds in Aprilia Marittima, Italy, where I spent my holiday.

Vocal ambience sounds: Sample pack from Black Octopus Sounds "Cory Friesenhan Vocal Atmospheres"

Spaceship sounds: Recorded vocals, tuned down, going through Ableton Live Overdrive, Saturator, Chorus-Ensemble, Phaser-Flanger, Gate and EQEight.
Edit: I added Klevgrand Brusfri after the effect chain to minimize the buzzing noise from the Phaser-Flanger.

Masterbus: Hornet ThirtyOne MK2, brainworx bx_masterdesk True Peak, LUveler64, SPL Hawkeye to check for problems, YouLean Meter 2 to check the loudness and the peaks.

Mixed with Hornet VHS on Superlux HD 681 headphones.

Edit:
This was the WIP version:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RqFC3Y ... drive_link

So what did I change after the feedback?

I started the mix from scratch again with stronger focus on the guitars (NI Session Guitarist Strummed Acoustic and the slide guitar played by me).

Also, the song has a less sudden ending now. For looping, the song would probably jump from before the ending to the part of the beginning, where the sub bass sets in (around 0:19).

The spaceship sound effects are meant as a placeholder for sound effects of the game and are not an essential part of the song; they can be taken out if the developers prefer the song without them. On the other hand, the "effect drums" (Hevyocity Evolve Mutations 2) at the end of some sections are part of the music.
Last edited by KukoBass on Mon Jul 24, 2023 20:11 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Indie Developers wrote: Hi there, @KukoBass

Thank you so much for this proposal. We really enjoy the experimental nature of your song. Something that could work for a landscape setting or traveling. It has a nice sense of "movement".

Although we would kindly ask you to maybe get back and address some volume issues. Namely the lead synth, and some of the sound effects you've used. They are sticking out a bit too much for our taste. And while we see that your song can easily loop (which is a bonus task), we still miss a certain start/end.

Great production, we're looking forward to hear the final product.

As usual, I've listened on small speakers (2" PC speakers) first before taking another deep dive with studio headphones. I indeed kindly ask you to get back to the mix and do some minor adjustments. The lead synth is going a bit wild on small speakers. The sound effects are definitely creative and not distracting, if they weren't too loud.

Basically, your focus is "synthesizer, drums and sound effects", while actually letting your guitar work drown out. If I were to mix this, I'd pull up the strumming guitar (NI Session Guitarist Strummed Acoustic ) and give it more focus as rhythmic element.

Listening on headphones, I have a similar impression... synths and sound effects too loud, while the rest sadly drowns out a bit. But here, I can hear more of the bass, and actually your slide guitar. Since my headphones have more low end, and actually emphasize the sound effects, maybe frequency limit them a bit (so that they fit in more). Other than that - feature your guitar work!

Oh and... regarding a "bottleneck"... a straight shot glass or another sizeable cylindrical object would work as well. I can currently not imagine how your spoon/pencil setup would work (other than one being a spacer, and the other being the "bottleneck").

You still got a couple of days to mix, hopefully.
Looking forward to your adjustments.
Blang

Post by Blang »

Hi there fellow music makers,

Here I will explain a bit about my process and choices rather than focusing on the specific gear used.

I chose A minor, because then you can use the open strings on the guitar, which gives that extra twang. For that classic Western vibe I used the Dorian mode, instead of standard minor (Aeolian). This sounds pretty epic because the IV is now a major chord. The main theme is in period form (AAB), for it felt nice to repeat that first phrase. When writing the second theme I wanted some contrast to the main theme, so I made some opposite moves; Starting with fast rising and then leaping down. This second theme is in sentence form (ABAC) for further contrast.

Because it’s for a video game, the listener will be mainly focussed on the game - not the music - I thought I would make sense to really drive the theme home instead of introducing many new ideas. To keep it interesting, the arrangement and dynamics are always (subtly) changing.

The key to the ‘Western’ lead guitar sound was to pick really hard and close to the bridge (around 2cm). For the rest this is the chain:
Stratocaster, bridge pickup > treble booster, spring reverb, fender style amp with slight breakup (strymon iridium).

The intro finger picking guitar is a Spanish guitar. It was a bit too fast for me to play, so I slowed it down exactly 5 semitones (= roughly 75%) and played it 5 semitones lower. I used varispeed (called re-pitch in Live) so it ends up in the right key when set it to the final tempo. I used this tool to easily calculate the slowed tempo: https://bentlangerak.com/varispeed.html This method introduces less undesirable artefacts than time stretching while keeping the pitch. But it does change the timbre; it sounds more like a banjo now, which I actually really like.

The orchestra was working pretty well imo, so adding synths didn’t really help it, excepts for the ‘Whistle’ - a nice lil’ western cliche. So in order to make it feel futuristic / contemporary I played some heavy (almost synth-like) fuzz guitar in the final theme. That’s also where other modern elements are introduced: Epic kick en Snare and sub synth bass (a splash of Hans Zimmer can’t be bad :P).

The Tubular Bell at the end is a reference to the beginning - wow a whole story :) - and also a possible loop point.

All the guitars I played.
Orchestral Strings, Brass, Timpani, Suspended Cymbal, marching snare and Tubular Bells, Glockenspiel are from the Ableton Live Suite.

Updated Link to my piece "A Fistful of Spaghetti"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nKowDc ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Blang on Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:54 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

I have updated my post with final version and all the details...
Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 07:35 CEST
...the drums and percussion work are sticking out like a sore thumb
I worked a little bit with drums. I don't know it's better or worse now but I made them a bit quieter in the mix, reduced compression rate and added high frequency damping on the reverb.
Mister Fox wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 07:35 CEST
And if you're working on another video... maybe don't use a stock photo or stock videos this time around... why not record your DAW and show off your used VSTi? Most notably, RealLPC, to add to the learning aspect for the community. How does that sound?
Unfortunately I can't make a tutorial video on my current setup. My PC isn't powerful enogh and I cannot record my voice. It also would take too much time, as I haven't worked with video editing for years.