2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Voting until 01-SEP-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

Ranking:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
What I learned this month:
► Show Spoiler
All other info, previously delivered: https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 376#p15376

My entry (and I repeat this in order to not create more confusion) still is this one, which is identical to the one I posted before August 24th:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HevuRj ... p=drivesdk
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Mon Aug 28, 2023 17:57 CEST, edited 11 times in total.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Voting until 01-SEP-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

It was impossible to update the original post from my phone. However, the filename now contains short as well as long uunderscores.The music is exactly the same as eight days ago. I apologise for inconvenie caused by all those 3-5 ending messages.
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:36 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Voting until 01-SEP-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Two things:

1) the "underscores" are not special characters... they are bog standard underscores (like so: _ ). In order to create "long underscores", I use them twice (like so: __ ). This was implemented months ago for better readability.

I will go by your old download - as this is what was submitted prior to the end of the game. I just can't keep up with constant re-uploading and changes to content. This is why we have definite deadlines.

2) once you post your feedback and votes, please don't scatter around your posts - put your reflection for this month into this global feedback post as well.
Crosshatched

Post by Crosshatched »

Here is my vote, anyway, from 1st to 5th place (by ranking, not by points):
► Show Spoiler
And here are my comments.
► Show Spoiler
And comments on my process:
► Show Spoiler
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Yes, it's ironic. That whole piece of lyrics is in fact almost an experiment. I had a discussion with a friend whether I should keep the irony or write something completely different. I suggested: "How about 'All you need is love' (the Beatles) or 'I will always love you' (Parton/Houston)?" But we immediately realised both titles are already sort of occupied. Hence the lyrics. I just hope people won't get too annoyed.
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Things I have learned during this month’s competition:

As often seems to be the case with a picture for inspiration people will interpret the same photo in many different ways giving a huge variation in styles this month making it very difficult to judge one against the other!
I learned that Dreamtonics Synthesizer V is better at rapping than I am (which is not saying much as I am truly terrible). It did however take a huge amount of fine tuning of the generated vocal within the app to get the intonation right so it didn’t sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger and that really forced me into learning much more about how to use the software

Feedback
► Show Spoiler
Voting
► Show Spoiler
Crosshatched

Post by Crosshatched »

A Future in Noise: Yeah, that makes sense. That really is how the piece and line feels.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Doc Jon wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 00:08 CEST
As often seems to be the case with a picture for inspiration people will interpret the same photo in many different ways giving a huge variation in styles this month making it very difficult to judge one against the other!
Very true. In fact, as I happen to be a member of a Facebook group named ~the Language Polices Headquarter, I asked the group what “upheaval” really means (as I know many native English speaking people are members).

And since yesterday afternoon I have had a conversation with a woman born in Scotland (she moved to Sweden when she was ~30 years old). At first she claimed that the word upheave (the verb form) doesn't exist at all. But it does! (It has been used at least twice during the last four centuries!) Well, upheave wasn't the theme, after all … Regarding “upheaval” she first claimed:

“The use of 'upheaval' is very nuanced. So it's probably safest to use in the context of a memorised phrase rather than as a synonym for something else. / … / Describing a revolution in the same terms as moving house or changing jobs seems incongruous to me.”

Afterwards she changed her mind and said something different. And by now, her FB-comments all together is reminiscent of a doctoral dissertation, so I can't quote it all (allthough I have her permission).

So what's my point? I primarely find all this confusion amusing, and maybe someone else has the same sense of humor as do I? Google translate, bab.la and even my paperback dictionary translated 'upheaval' to 'omstörtning', which immediately made me think of the French revolution. But what happens if G-translate translates to Finnish, Spanish or Hungarian? If an English speaking woman who lived in Scotland for ~30 years doesn't really know what the word means – how can anybody else know?

Now – it doesn't really matter. I feel rather pleased with my entry this month, while I also appreciated many other submissions. That's what matters.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Voting until 01-SEP-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Just a quick explanation on the "theme name" and image I've chosen for August.

The idea stemmed from plenty of outside influences that have been "smacking down" (on me) for a couple of months up until this point. I wanted to convey a sense of things changing, a certain unrest, both the fear and desire of new adventures, and seeing positivity after the chaos has ended. Looking at my many handwritten notes that eventually turn into songwriting games, I wrote down things like "take flight" "updraft", "Gone Away" (traveling), etc. I tried to find "one word" that covers all of that... a change of events.

After many trips to Google, Thesauraus, any many other online dictionaries, I came across one word with multiple meanings: Upheaval. In German, one translation could be the word "Umbruch" (another word for "things changing").

I could have gone with just a pure image - I know games that purely go this route (but are severely time limited to 2 hours maximum). However, the way I built the Songwriting Competition, it always had a "title" and "brief" first, the images came later.

I hope you now have a small glimpse on how I usually prepare and set up games.

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
Including today, still 3 days left for your feedback and vote.

I already collected votes from 4 participants out of 11.
Havol

Post by Havol »

Things I have learned this month

First of all, thank you all for your feedback ! As I said before, it's the first time I've shared my music and it's comforting to see that it can be enjoyed. I now see that an instrumental music do have an interest. But I have to work on that and add to my songs some spicy things and little twist to keep this interest.

Voting
► Show Spoiler
Feedbacks
► Show Spoiler