2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

I have made a few minor mix adjustments and updated my original post with the final version :tu:
Crosshatched

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Crosshatched »

I just enabled downloads.

Strangely, I thought I had already double-checked and enabled downloads on the 22nd...
satyatunes
Honorary Member

Post by satyatunes »

Getting back to music after a long time. Little bit rusty. It took a while, but I finally finished the track.

I present you "Mysterious Cloud". When I see the picture that's what I feel - A Mystery. Is there a spaceship hiding in the cloud? :hihi: Initially it started as an Ambient track but gradually moved towards cinematic. Hope you like it.

DOWNLOAD / PLAY LINK:
Mysterious Cloud

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by satyatunes on Thu Aug 24, 2023 21:23 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
The Exponent

Post by The Exponent »

Made some final changes to my arrangement and mix, updated the SoundCloud file.

I see that some may have already downloaded the file, please consider downloading the updated file, or just use the SoundCloud play feature to listen to the updated final submission in the original post --> https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 471#p15471
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Challenge companions and Mister Fox, Good afternoon!!
This month I present to you a very calm track. Inspired by the image proposed by Mister Fox, for when the storm has passed.
I have based it on an improvisation I had made some time ago and I have tweaked it a bit. I've changed some of the instruments (Now there's the Arturia CS-80, because in the initial version it didn't have the license yet) and I've added some new sounds and more worked effects.

I hope you like it.

Thank you colleagues.

Equipment:
DAW:
Reason 12.6.1

Instruments:
Subtractor Polyphonic Synthesizer
Thor Polysonic Synthesizer

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
The Echo

Players:
Scales & Chords
Dual Arpeggio

Other instruments outside of Reason:
Arturia CS-80V

Other effects outside of Reason:
iZotope RX8
Rob Papen RP-Pan
Arturia Rev INTENSITY
AIR Music Tech Tube Drive

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawEye
HoRNet Plugins HoRNet VHS
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th August 2023, 00:30 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 11 submissions this month (1 entry more than last month, and also 3 more entries than August 2022)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline (as of 25-AUG-2023 00:30 UTC+2/CEST)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been withdrawn
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply -- but special game mechanics do apply
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are accessible and downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 11 official participants. We are adapting the overhauled vote mechanic, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)
(Info: I am aware that the Rule Book has not been properly updated yet. Time constraints, apologies for the inconvenience)

Summarized:
 ! Bonus Info
  • Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 5 entries (tiered mechanic).
  • You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max), what you have learned, what you would like to do different in the future, etc. (personal growth)
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least five (number: 5) entries (tiered mechanic) that either stood out to you and you would like to provide some additional final thoughts, or where you could provide constructive feedback for possible improvements. To add to the learning experience of our community, it is recommended that these entries are outside of your personal "top entry" voting.
  • Have the chance to get additional bonus points if you decide to invest the time to provide more constructive feedback than the requested minimum. It must be more than just "nice production, please keep up the good work" however. This is to boost more interaction and can balance out your overall points on the score sheet. (get 1 point if you give constructive feedback to 2-3 more people, get 2 points if you give helpful feedback for everyone)
  • The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking.
  • The overall "Bonus Point" mechanic still applies. Please update your posts with proper production documentation, most notably regarding whom you have collaborated with (as in: proper credits -- not doing so will result in a 2pt deduction on the score sheet at the end of the game). You got until the voting period has ended.
Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode (button on the WYSIWYG editor that features the orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it). Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

The staff (Mister Fox) will not give feedback to all entries and/or cast a vote this month.

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please make sure your files are accessible, and please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Voting until 01-SEP-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Friday, 01-SEP-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

Arelem wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 02:56 CEST
"Turbulence"

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:53 CEST
"Get a Grip

WAV: Google Drive playback and download
Doc Jon wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 23:08 CEST
"Hey Kid"

Havol wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:13 CEST
"Make Love Not War"

MP3: Google Drive playback and download
KukoBass wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 17:23 CEST
"Clouds Over Herrenhausen"

Crosshatched wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 01:09 CEST
"Pulverized"

Koekepan wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 08:16 CEST
"Skygaze"

PREVIEW Re-Uploaded to Mix Challenge server
phpBB [media]

MP3: Catbox download (ZIP contains MP3 File)
VCA-089 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 13:38 CEST
"Dark Omen"

FLAC: Google Drive playback and download
MP3: Google Drive playback and download

BONUS VIDEO:
► Show Spoiler
The Exponent wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 18:18 CEST
"Fragments of Hope"

satyatunes wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 16:23 CEST
"Mysterious Cloud"

WAV: Dropbox playback and download
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 18:30 CEST
"LaTempestaJaSAllunya"

WITHDRAWN (not participating - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no withdrawn entries>

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page or on Discord.

Post updated: 25-AUG-2023 02:25 UTC+2/CEST
Koekepan

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Voting until 01-SEP-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Koekepan »

Reflecting on Process

In terms of process, I think that for me the sequencing of the bed is the hardest part. I can handle the live session rendition and recording, no problem, and the process of sound design, while protracted, answers most of the mixing problems before they start. I follow Bob Johnston's approach of getting the headphone mix right first, and then just recording that correct sound. If it sounds good, it is good, and by preloading the mix in terms of thoughtful sound design most of my problems are solved. I know where I can push the faders and nudge the knobs without wrecking my soundscape, and I live within those limits. It's the progression and chord structure as captured in the performance sequencer that gives me the most pause for thought, because that reflects the structure of what I want to achieve and the more that I want to add in terms of complexity, the more precomposition I have to build into the sequencer configuration. If it's too complex, on the other hand, it can really wreak havoc with my ability to coherently improvise on top so there is an upper limit to how far I can take it.

Other than that the biggest hassle is warming up and tuning analogue synths. 'twas ever thus.

Next time, I might do it by using the Force as my sequencer, and presequencing and editing everything in a live take there, before recording the audio.

General review and discussion
► Show Spoiler

Ranking
► Show Spoiler

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
Post has been slightly adjusted in terms of layout in agreement with user @Koekepan.

Due to the way how phpbb works, this post can unfortunately no longer be edited by the user. Apologies for the inconvenience.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

Mister Fox wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 00:33 CEST

And please don't forget to use the provided filename template (@A Future In Noise, @Havol, @Koekepan)
Hello Mister Fox, I didn't notice until now you use two different kind of underscore in your template. I doubt more than one kind of those has ever existed on Swedish keyboards, but I'll see what I can do (if it's not already too late).
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Voting until 01-SEP-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

(Long and short underscores, that is.)
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Sun Aug 27, 2023 20:18 CEST, edited 1 time in total.