2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 072 - August 2023

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official and very simple "Rules and Guidelines" (TL;DR version) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/re-submission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.
  • The general idea of this game is to "...just make music", to also challenge yourself by stepping a bit out of your comfort zone, and take a dip at realms you've never worked in before. Instrumentals are just as welcome as productions with vocals.
  • The Genre and "Premise" of this months challenge can be found in in post #002
  • Filename Template (Important): SWC072__ArtistName__TrackName.wav or .mp3
    • example: SWC072__MisterFox__ColorOfTheSky.wav
    • example: SWC072__Mister_Fox__Color_of_the_sky.wav
Read more about this month's competition further down below. And if you got any question, please also reach out on Discord.

:arrow_right: SONGWRITING COMPETITION THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, Sponsors
Post #003 -- Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (limited if genre is "free to select")
Post #027 -- Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Post #052 -- Results: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Monday, 01st August 2023 to Thursday, 24th August 2023 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-AUG-2023, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord. Does the game time frame feel too long? Why not set a personal shorter one of 5-7 days absolute max to push yourself to focus on the essentials, then use the rest of the time to ask for feedback and possible refinements. :idea:

SONGWRITING THEME: "Upheaval" (Picture Theme)
GENRE: free to select

Image Source: Tobias Hämmer (via Pixabay), released under Creative Commons CC0

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote: We're having a "Picture Theme" this month.

There will be no extensive brief with twists and turns. Please have a look, get inspired by the image, the theme and maybe some additional keywords (e.g.: clouds, changes and uncertainty, from calm to cataclysm, clearing sky, sense of adventure, etc).

Let your mind wander for a bit. Then start writing. :pencil2: :musical_keyboard: :notes:

A short explanation of the concept of this month's game:

The general idea is to draw inspiration from the picture. However do not solely fixate on that particular photo and it's details alone. Rather focus on the "overarching concept". The picture and provided key words can have many different meanings. How you interpret it, is up to you.

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in any music genre you feel like.

You set your own parameters and limitations, e.g. style and genre, melodic questions and counter arguments. As long as you don't exceed 10 minutes of runtime, neither have endless padded out repetition. Please keep us listeners engaged. And as usual - vocals are optional. Don't feel pressured to provide any.

Just make music!
And I hope you'll have fun this month. :headphones:

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):

Cherry Audio, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, JRR Sounds, kv331 audio, Luftrum, Musiclab, Rekkerd Sounds, satyatunes - Sound / Graphic Design, and Tone2.

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

Since the genre this month is "free to select", there are no clear pointers

Music examples (selection for inspiration, 00 videos):

No music examples available this month. But I can always recommend to enter random genre search words either into Youtube, Spotify or whatever music streaming services you prefer using.

Please also check in with the following threads in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Places to fuel your GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) (the starting point if you're in need of audio tools -- from free to affordable).

if you're new to/need help with songwriting - please check out the following tools:
► Show Spoiler

More tools of the trade
► Show Spoiler

UPDATED: 01-AUG-2023 00:30 UTC+2, updated 00-AUG-2023 00:00 UTC+2
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 0 entries.

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 7 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

To those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Arelem »

Hello All,

Since this challenge is image-based, I just had the image in mind and started writing. In addition to the lyrics which revolve around the image, there are also some thunder samples used that I am sure everyone will notice. However, what may be less noticeable is that there is a rainstorm sample pulsing in the background. It is not very loud in the mix because I wanted it to be 'felt' more than heard.

Details:
► Show Spoiler
Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC072 August 2023 - Submissions until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

Get a Grip

Image: (I'm not "competing" with the original image (dark clouds), but this is just one example of the kind of upheaval my lyrics is about.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M7MGKh ... sp=sharing

Music - my submission:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QBrKMW ... sp=sharing

Specs:
► Show Spoiler
Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by A Future in Noise on Mon Aug 28, 2023 17:37 CEST, edited 11 times in total.
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:53 CEST
Work in progress: Get a Grip

I'm not sure whether the trumpets / brass should be kept (3:15) or if they should be deleted or replaced by anything else?
Sounds good to me. I especially like the little differences in the dubbed guitars near the start of the song.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

Thanks, @Arelem

Here's some short feedback:

A lot of words and phrases that point towards violence, chaos and some kind of threat and perhaps upheaval. But we only get to know that the “I-person” ignites a fight, and that he feels peaceful in turbulence and chaos. You can definitely do it this way – more feelings than storytelling. But maybe I had wanted to know, a little bit more in detail, what is going on on a more concrete level. (But I suggest you keep it they way you want it, maybe it can be interesting to you, anyway, what my first impression was.)

Good idea to let the singer (you I guess) be EQ:d in a different way in the choruses, and perhaps you also used a different technique? Very wide sound indeed.

The overall impression is good. Well balanced mix.

I'll never be able to understand, though, the rapidly repeated drum sounds – fully quantized and with no round robins. But I know this belongs to / is a part of the genre. It's not the first time I hear this kind of percussion. And from a rhythmical point of view you did a good job.

Note: High frequency noise at 1:01-1:02 – I don't think you did that deliberately?
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Nice photo, dark and ominous.
My first thought was "There's a storm coming" but then I noticed the patch of light appearing at the bottom right giving an optimistic feeling of change for the better and I immediately wanted to reflect that in my track.
I was inspired by the work of those amazing individuals who work with troubled kids, particularly angry teenagers, who understand that everyone deserves a second chance and sometimes a little self esteem is all that is needed to create change.

Lyrics
► Show Spoiler
Host
Cubase 12 Pro

VSTs
Drums - iZotope BreakTweaker
Bass - IK Modobass 2
Guitars - couple of loops from Loopmasters Hip Hop and Soul Guitars
Synths - Korg Polysix
Electric Piano - Lounge Lizard 4
Flute/Bells - Halion Sonic
Vocals - Dreamtonics Synthesizer V

Fx
Very little processing of individual tracks, some saturation here and there with FabFilter Saturn 2 and delay with Timeless 3
Cubase guitar amp sims on the bass and guitars
iZotope Nectar 3 on the vocals
2x ValhallaVintageVerb on sends providing ambience and main reverbs
iZotope Ozone 10 and Steinberg Magneto 2 on the master with IK TrackS metering keeping an eye on things